Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit confused - what's the difference between the two? Is the Garmin just a newer re-badged version (they appear to be the same company)?

Which will I be likely to get with my new high up! next week?

Thanks...

·
Registered
296 Posts
As far as I know Navigon is specially made for VW by Garmin. Unite bears the Garmin name, but you log on to Navigon via the PC for registration, updates etc.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Garmin badged version has more memory and a few more options ie live services I believe

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aha - thanks all :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I can confirm the Garmin model has live traffic services, but be aware that it uses your mobile phone for the data via bluetooth tethering & according to the instructions can only get the info from an iPhone or Android with reasonably current operating systems. My wife has an iPhone 3GS on iOS 6 & it works with that. I tried it with my daughter's Windows phone, but as that can only tether over WiFi it did not work.You get 1 month free & then when we got ours for around £20 you can update for life. If you don't use the live services the Garmin unit can default back to the TMC service that the earlier Navigon units have.

For Seat, the changeover time for the units was June / July last year. The units (even if standard on the car) are dealer supplied, they don't come from the factory in the cars. When we were looking at an Up! White the dealer said the Maps & More would come from the parts dept, it was not already with the car.
However, I have just looked at the current online Up! brochure & price list & both show the Navigon unit with no word of live services whereas the Seat website calls the unit Seat Portable System Live.

Based on what I have seen in the VW brochure I can't even guess what unit your car will have, best check with the dealer.

Edited by: mii al

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I didn't know they were dealer supplied. I have a recent iPhone so should be OK so long as the unit has live services. Car's in the UK now according to order tracking so shouldn't have long to wait to find out...

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
The dealer orders the M&M unit when the car arrives at the dealership, if you don't get the garmin one I'd be asking some strong questions!Ups got them many months ago

·
Registered
252 Posts
Privatedoc said:
The dealer orders the M&M unit when the car arrives at the dealership, if you don't get the garmin one I'd be asking some strong questions!Ups got them many months ago

Same as Seat then. Strange Seat changed their brochures but VW haven't.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Umiamz said:
Thanks, I didn't know they were dealer supplied. I have a recent iPhone so should be OK so long as the unit has live services. Car's in the UK now according to order tracking so shouldn't have long to wait to find out...

While the Live Services are good, I still prefer the TomTom live services I have on the satnav in my Mondeo. The Garmin uses very little of your data allowance, from memory the manual quotes in the region of 5MB per month based on 12500 miles a year. You have to set your iPhone up as a personal hotspot & it then its good to go. In a 2g signal area you may loose live services if on the phone as 2g cannot handle simultaneous data & speech, 3g can.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I contacted the dealer for the Up I ordered and he said I would be getting a Garmin one.

Found a good link for it here.
https://volkswagen.garmin.com/volkswagen/site/productOverview

·
Registered
296 Posts
The actual unit will say Garmin - but the software will be Navigon if it is like the one I received in November. The paperwork with the unit will confirm the details though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i guess it depends how new it is then, as the link i listed shows pc software called Garmin fresh instead of Navigon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts