Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning guys,Has anyone else had this problem? Sit in neutral,with the engine running foot off the clutch, apply a few revs and listen, sounds really nice. Now do the same with the clutch fully depressed and you hear a loud metallic clanking that rises with the revs, does it when you change down the gears as well.
Is this normal, called, in to my dealers a few days ago, (Hadwins Lindale in Cumbria) to ask if a mechanic would have a listen, TOO BUSY was the answer, now waiting for a reply to my e-mail

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an update to my cars clanking noise. The service manager got back in touch and arranged for my car to be looked at by their master technician. He agreed there was a problem but could'nt say what was causing it. The upshot is that they very willingly agreed to get me a new replacement vehicle and I had a choice of three that are sitting at the docks waiting to be shipped to the UK. So that it feels and looks different I have chosen the 3 door up! white with the same extras. Will be here at the end of the month. My departing car had only done 700 miles and was one month old. Just the luck of the draw I guess. TOP MARKS FOR EXELENT SERVICE
<div style="text-align: center;"> HADWINS VW of LINDALE, GRANGE OVER SANDS, CUMBRIA
<div style="text-align: center;">Thanks very much for sorting this for me

·
Registered
113 Posts
can they not just replace the gearbox?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Dekkadog said:
Morning guys,Has anyone else had this problem? Sit in neutral,with the engine running foot off the clutch, apply a few revs and listen, sounds really nice. Now do the same with the clutch fully depressed and you hear a loud metallic clanking that rises with the revs, does it when you change down the gears as well.
Is this normal, called, in to my dealers a few days ago, (Hadwins Lindale in Cumbria) to ask if a mechanic would have a listen, TOO BUSY was the answer, now waiting for a reply to my e-mail
I have always had a rattle in neutral but the opposite of yours i.e noise goes away when clutch is depressed. It hasn't got any better or worse and I think I've seen other posts reportingthe same thing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
They all do this... To be clear the op is referring to a sound made when revving the engine with the clutch depressed. Mine does it but has never been a problem in normal operating conditions.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Lee in Denmark said:
can they not just replace the gearbox?

They will no doubt do that before selling the car to someone else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine has that noice too. My dealer is offering me a new gearbox.
Getting it swapped in about 2 weeks..
They also said that they were aware of the problem. So now i just hope i get a good gearbox..

Iam really dissapoited of the quality of the gearbox, since it started making theese noices at around 4000 kilometers..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi all just like to mention that my Up! has started having gearbox issues at 10000 miles. I went to the dealers today for the regular 1st service and just mentioned at certain times it makes a metal rattling noise. After picking up the vehicle the car started to make even more noise and therefore wentback and had it checked. They said a master technician will check the car out but noticing the other forum topic by dekkadog its not looking good.

Ispoketoadifferenttechnition he mentioned changing the whole gearbox on new cars with very low miles but never changed em on cars with similar mileage to minebuthe alsosaiditcouldjustbe theclutch.

Ijustwanttoaskeveryonewhetherthisisadesignfault or a manufacturing fault?andhas anyoneexperiencedthisthanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wife bought an Up just three weeks ago and hers is quite noisy and also suffers from the clunking when clutch is depressed and car slightly revved. I've just booked it in to be checked in couple weeks time so will post an update then

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had this same thing, worse in reverse.
Go backwards then press clutch and roll... I had a loud metallic sound.
A friend told me it was a sign the gearbox was breaking.

The vw dealer had a look and the box was replaced, when I got it back they did call to remind me that "it isn't synchromesh" as if it was my fault!

That was 10k miles ago.

Unfortunately, last night I noticed it again so will be going back to the dealer :-(

·
Registered
22 Posts
...... And they have said it's my fault, told vw that too.
I have to pay for them to strip it and send photos to vw who will decide if it's my fault.
I have another vw vw ddealer on record who say no way it should break again soon.

If they put the box in and it's faulty again, apparently the replacement is their cost. What a surprise they are going to say it's my fault.

I can sense a long legal process is about to start......

·
Registered
8 Posts
VW just called. They tell me it sounds the same as one they have there so now want me to take my Up to them so I can prove mine is quiet! I'm amazed that my wife and I can both tell that hers is noisy but VW mechanics can't!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update from my earlier post. My wife's car is currently at VW and they've just called to say there's not a problem and have asked me to take my Up to them to show them how quiet an up can be! Why can't they simply admit that hers isn't right??? Not happy!

·
Super Moderator
1,051 Posts
Mine made a horrible rotating metallic clanking noise when I started it up the other day, depressing the clutch made no difference, but the car drove fine. I have noticed what sounds like a clutch release bearing noise when I take my foot of the clutch in neutral, as it goes as soon as you depress the clutch. Mine has just got to 9.1k miles on the clock, so I'll be keeping an eye (or ear!) on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts