Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am reading reports of people having a gear change light? that tells them when to change up gears etc?
When I test drove the UP I never noticed this! I was wondering if maybe it came with the sensor pack or it is as standard or a feature on m+m? Can anyone confirm, cause being a geek I quite like the idea of it!! :cool:

·
Registered
236 Posts
You can have a gear change light on M & M in the car screen also itcan show in the dash but i think you have to have the sensor pack but i am not sure on this.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I test drove mine yesterday and it shows on the dash, I don't have the sensor pack so I guess it may be a standard feature!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I think every model has it. I tested a take up and it was on that one..

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
yes that is exciting! make us all more economic drivers whether we have the m+m or not!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I must admit it kept telling me to go from 3rd to 5th when I was doing about 25mph, maybe it'll make more sense when I've used it a bit though!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Its standard in all VWs these days....at least in all I've been in the last 2 years.
I normally end up ignoring it because;

1. I completly forgot its there and don't look at it until the Otherhalf tells me off for not doing what the car tells me.

2. It just doesn't feel natural!
I'll be driving in 3rd and its telling me to go to 5th at like 28mph. If it did that in my 2001 polo the car would have a right grumble at me....im thankful the boyfriend's golf is DSG. So I can leave it to change the gear on its own to what ever it wants! ;) Haha

·
Registered
128 Posts
<div style="text-align: center;"><b style="color: rgb0, 0, 255; line-height: 22px; font-size: medium; ">It's standard. My base baby Red 'Take up!' has it :)[/b]

It tells you to change up a gear but it does not seem very sophisticated.. seems to just work on sensing the engine revs and saying 'change up' regardless of whether you are toiling uphill or not. ( My wifes Honda Jazz is a little more sophisticated as it senses the strain on the engine and drivetrain and, if it is low, then says change up. It also says 'change down' if it detects its straining in a higher gear.. something I've not seen on the up! yet, if it actually does that at all )

I change into 5th at 28-30mph in the up! no problem .. BUT you can only do this if you are cruising on the level and not wanting to accelerate from there. Basically the engine revs are just 2000 rpm at 50mph. To accelerate from there you should drop a gear or two.
<div style="text-align: center;">

<div style="text-align: center;">Read my first baby red 'Take up!' 3 days road review on the forums here for more info...

<div style="text-align: center;">http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/take-up-day2-extended-135-mile-drive_topic388_page1.html

<div style="text-align: center;">Best wishes

<div style="text-align: center;">Dave

·
Registered
421 Posts
My Polo has it and it does get very bossy at times although it helps with mpg like you wouldn't believe.
Don't you all drive in 5th at 30ish anyway or is that just me?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I do in my Megane but its a diesel so can cope with it - not sure about my Up though! Not long now till I can try!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Depends on the car's engine, gearbox, inclination of the road, drivers intention etc...

My car only dies 1500 rpm in 5th at 50, and 1500 rpm in 6th at 60, so 30 in either 5th or 6th is a definite no

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
yeah my current car doesnt really like 5th gear until 35 at least... so depends on the car situation etc

·
Registered
60 Posts
Take up has it. Pain in the butt. What's the point in having a rev counter AND this annoying little light (which wants you to change far too early - it won't go uphill in 5th gear at 30mph!!!) I'd much rather have the thing that tells me how many miles I've got left in the tank (yes, I know this is available on M&M but I haven't got that!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts