Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Wilst im waiting for my high UP! I have been looking at countless videos on youtube.
I have seen on some videos that the console show gears selections. Is that showing what gear you are in or what gear you should be in.
Anyone also got any ideas how i can pass 12 weeks of waiting time. Ive practically watched every video on youtube about the car, done every configeration on the vw up site and im starting to think im going mad with the waiting. Luckily there are no UPs round me or i could quite easily see me nose pressed to the window day and night.
Got to go and check how many hours minutes and days i have left to wait.

·
Registered
957 Posts
It shows you what gear you should be in.
If I was you I would ignore it as it wants you to change far to early in my opinion.
I have a HighUp! And I think its a great little car I'm sure you will too

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply
I have drove a car that told you what gear you should be in and like you say it tells you to change up far to quick.
There are a couple of hills that come straight off a roundabout and the car would tell you half way up go in to 4 and I would never make it, so the engine was working harder to get up all because the car was tell me to go up a gear.

·
Registered
583 Posts
That's the Blue Motion ...
It's indeed a bit too optimistic about the car's capabilities

If you push the gas harder, it won't try to make you shift up very early though.

Try cruise control if it has one.
I've found my up! will get up an incline far better with less fuel consumption being indicated, when it's on CC.

Granted, that's when it's keeping speed or needs to regain a bit of speed - not really a situation where you have to get up to speed from going around a roundabout.Edited by: _1S_

·
Registered
235 Posts
The gearshift indicator does have a point if you are trying to drive economically - it is linked to the Blue Trainer function on the M&M.

BUT if you do use it to determine when you change gear, it does make driving incredibly tedious and also emphasises the worst aspect of the up! - the gear/engine noise (dieseling) when the engine is asked to pull from low RPM.

It does give you the choice, however.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for sharing info on this matter.
It's been a while since I passed my driving test. when I drove another car with this feature I was thinking I wasn't driving properly because i wasnt selecting the right gears at the right time. Now I know I don't need to be constantly looking at what gear I should be in.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi D3ftones. My High Up! BMT has an arrow next to the gear number you are in to indicate when it thinks you should change up, and a dot next to it if your speed is correct for the gear you are in.
For some reason though, it doesn't tell you when to change down.

I hope this helps.

Matt

·
Registered
583 Posts
M4796P said:
For some reason though, it doesn't tell you when  to change down.
Oh, but it does

It takes low rpm and high load / high throttle , but it will ask you to shift down in certain conditions.

Not sure if it'll tell you to shift down when you let the revs drop though.
I haven't stalled it once yet, despite the puny 1L engine.
I'll see if I can remember to try it - just the once.

My previous car was very prone to stalling, despite being a 1.6L turbodiesel with 40HP more and lots of extra torque.
Edited by: _1S_

·
Registered
59 Posts
Very interesting. I have been trying to follow the gear change indicator, but do think it emphases the gravelly engine noise. Though I refuse to go into 5th gear at 30mph! I used to use the 3rd gear mostly around town in my old aygo, as far less gear changes, I find the up seems to request 4th gear at 24. Sounds like I could get a better experience ignoring the gear change indicator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts