Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im having bad noises when i change gears.took back to dealer in southend and all there ups have same fault.wish id got another polo.still waiting for responce from vw southend.has anyone else had this bad batch of ups? mark

·
Registered
304 Posts
There is a clunk on gear change. It almost sounds like clutch plates coming together as you release the clutch after the change. The four cars I have driven have all done it... The faster you change the louder the clunk. I'm not so sure it's a fault perhaps it how the car mechanicals are designed? Doesn't bother me much yet really.Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
13 Posts
I call it a knock as you go up the gears, but 'chink' could also be an acceptable description. It is louder if the revs are higher. There could well be common a problem. The RAC were confident the problem lay with the clutch. Anyway it returns to the dealer tomorrow and I'm told VW are sending someone technical from head office to look into it .
In the meantime they are loaning me a Fox... could it be the one I traded in ! Fortunately the dealership is excellent so at this stage I'm not worried. MJB

·
Registered
655 Posts
I don't know what this noise is but i have got bored of it so RAC are coming out tomorrow to look at it as I spoke to my dealership and they said get them out as it is their to be used!! Keep you all posted...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have found with my driving school up I need to get my pupils to slow changes down and make sure don't get on the gas untill the clutch is right up. Need sweet feet and the gears go through smoothly. The girls are generally smoother than the lads!

·
Registered
198 Posts
buzlightyear said:
I have found with my driving school up I need to get my pupils to slow changes down and make sure don't get on the gas untill the clutch is right up. Need sweet feet and the gears go through smoothly. The girls are generally smoother than the lads!

Thanks for the advice, Ihaven'tnoticed any strange noises yet, so touching wood my UP! has a good gearbox

·
Registered
58 Posts
IMO it is caused by the engine holding revs. Slowing the gear change gives the engine time to slow down before you bring the clutch up. Effects 1st to 2nd mainly and short shjfting into 2nd and bringing the clutch in o so sweet sorts it - IMO! Perhaps the crank has counter balance in place of a balance shaft which retains revs?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Only had mine a few days, and while I can hear a relay clicking behind the dash and the 'tractor' noise at times I can't hear any strange noises from the gearbox.

·
Registered
655 Posts
SO...The RAC man just kindly came out to have a look and within minutes of being in the car he totally agreed that the noise coming from it when under load was not right and noticeable. He said it needs further investigation at dealership level as it appears to be coming from the engine/transmission. But reassured me it was not me being mad and hearing things....and that it was safe to use.

It may well just be a characteristic of the up! but he reiterated that if it was his car he would want it examined as it was a rather unrefined noise. So lets see how we get on at the dealership!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Engine is designed without a balanced shaft to reduce mass. Chink sounds like "backlash" in box and if you slow down gear change to allow engine revs to drop you can virtually eliminate noise. Will be keeping an ear open for VW fix but it doesn't affect gearbox function.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Only had my up just over a week, occasionally I hear a clunck when changing gear, usually when I am being lazy with the clutch tho. Not sure if this is the same sound everyone is hearing?

I'm used to a 12 year old noisy mechanical sounding polo, so I'm not sure I'd notice any odd noises even if they were there!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I wonder how true this thread is. We seem to have 3 recently enrolled Marks reinforcing each other in this story with the RAC being called out to a car that is working and confirming a problem win a noise.

I don't think that the RAC actually do that.

However if I am mistaken then Mark, Mark and Mark, please forgive me.

·
Registered
304 Posts
David you are very mistaken my friend. I know nothing of the two other Marks... I'm sure the mods can confirm my IP address is not the same too.

Please see my other posts and you will see I only have good words to say about the up! I am very supportive of both this forum, it's users and other vw up! owners, so please be care with your inferences,and guessing at other forum users motives etc which at best could be described as a shot in the dark.

I say it as it is, I have an open mind still about any such noises the car does or doesn't make.... And I am watching the happenings here on this forum with interest as much as anyone else. I have no involment with calling out the AA or RAC to view my up!Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
davidw said:
I wonder how true this thread is. We seem to have 3 recently enrolled Marks reinforcing each other in this story with the RAC being called out to a car that is working and confirming a problem win a noise.

I don't think that the RAC actually do that.

However if I am mistaken then Mark, Mark and Mark, please forgive me.
The writing style of MarkyMark is quite different from that of the fraudulent Mark. Yes there was another Mark who popped up, claiming to have issues, and writing in the same style as the fraudulent one, and I am sure it was the same person. So two Marks were fraudulent, but MarkyMark is not the same person.
I have no idea if the RAC will come out to a car that is running but makes an odd noise. I think we must accept MarkyMark's posts, just as you (hopefully) accept my posts praising the Up.

There will be issues with a new car, or any car in fact. But there will also be some people who play silly games (nutters, salesmen annoyed that their Fiestas are no longer selling (1), and so on), and I think we've seen at least one nutter.

(1) I chose Ford at random, could be any make, well maybe not Ferrari, or Rolls Royce, you know what I mean.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts