Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
211 miles in, couple of days since our nice trip to derwent dam, I had a gearbox/clutch issue this morning on the way home from work. Stopped at a junction, put into first gear to pull away, it crunched! Tried again, it wouldnt go into first or second gear. Drove rest of the way in third (mostly downhill) and called the free road side assistance. So cars gone back to dealers to find out what's going on.
Got a curt car coming in a few hours.

Feeling pretty crap, been taking it really easy in the engine, making effort to break it in gently.

Not cool!

Ben

·
Registered
956 Posts
That's pretty lousy for you Ben, hope it's nothing too serious and fingers crossed it gets sorted quickly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just had a polo delivered, dealer thinks it might be in a while. Although These problems have happened, the free RAC roadside assistance were great. Quick as bunnies, an the hire car arrived fairly quickly too. They said on the phone that ups! Were now included in hire car fleet. Was hopeful, but alas a polo will do.

Ben

·
Registered
128 Posts
Was your car taken to Gilders Meadowhead? Saw a red high up! parked in the car park today......saw it as I was being towed into same car park by RAC!! Ours wouldn't start this morning,Gilders totally disinterested...mind you they got our money now!! We now have a Corsa hire car parkedon the drive

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oops, just noticed this reply, I posted on your other thread.

Yes, that was my up! in the car park :(
We got a polo for the time being - organised by the RAC.

This is the first time I've bought a brand new car, and its been nothing but hassle.
Having waited 6 weeks after ordering it, only to find out the wrong interior been ordered and we have to place another order with a much later build week.

Few days later they ring to say they have found a replacement which will come 2 weeks earlier (build week 21)

Was quite happy about that news, except it ment we had less time then we had planned to sell our (then) current car

The up! arrived in UK on the 6th, were informed we would have to allow 5 days for transport, and then a few days for it to be valeted, so collection would be around 14th or so.

We found a buyer for our car who were able to collect it on the 13th. So it looked like everything was going to plan.
Then..... we were told it wont be ready that week, but the thursday afterwards (21st!!)
Argued a bit and got delivery on monday 18th instead.

211 miles on the clock, 6 days later - back in the dealers with problems.

Ok just read this back, and its a bit of a rant so sorry for that, feel bit better for ventng though.

Loved it when they came and told us about the customer satisfaction survey that is done a few weeks after purchase, and could we please give them 100% as its 1% of their something or other....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ha ha!
we mentioned that we had yet to fill in the customer satisfaction form.Not sure what they get out of it but they seemed to be a bit more attentive once we mentioned it.

We can't complain about the pre delivery service but today was a bit of an eye opener...was a 'not our problem' attitude thats really taken the shine off the whole experience of having a brand new car. Had better service with Renault...and thats saying something!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
So out of the 3 local members who have their car only 1 is running!? Doesn't bode well for mine....wherever it is....still no word from Gilders

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got a call from gilders, glad they did, felt like I've had to do the chasing recently to find anything out.
I'm no mechanic, but she said the gear box was missing some teeth in the cogs to synch it (or something!)
Needs new gear box, parts on order from Germany.:(

Ben

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
How can a gear be 'missing some cog teeth' unless it broke or was assembled incorrectly and subjected to severe crashing of the gears.....sounds iffy but as long as its replaced....all ok......serious compo required!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's the general gist I got from what she was saying. It sounds like it was a dud unit tbh. When the gear box first failed on Saturday morning it hadn't made any crunching or refused to go into first or second before. The junction it happened on was a slight hill, I brought the car slowly up to it, put it in first gear, started bringing the clutch up to meet biting point before rolling back an heard the start of the crunch. The clutch went back down and brake/handbrake on while double clutched it back to neutral then first again. Gear stick didn't feel like it went all the way, tried raising the clutch slightly and again crunching noise starts. Couldn't do first or second at all.
It's not like I sat there grinding the gears with the clutch up or anything.

She didnt say how long it would be, wouldn't get pinned down to a date. But did say days not weeks as it's on priority order.

Ben

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Hope you get sorted soon

Does sound a rogue unit.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Must be annoying for you, variable!

Keep us updated on progress. I'm very interested in the outcome, as someone who's still considering ordering an up, but worried about reliability issues.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
[TUBE]SJJIyTnNlzU[/TUBE]

Dash cam coming in handy.
Seems I cut the last section where I reversed onto the pavement, but u get the idea.

Ben

Edited by: Variable

1 - 20 of 31 Posts