Up Owners Club banner

Gearbox noise

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Shane69 
#1 ·
Hi, not been on the forum for a good few years but my 15 High UP has been great for the last 61k miles. However after getting the clutch release bearing (and clutch plate) replaced to fix the rattle and a gearbox oil change, a month later I've started to notice a strange noise from front left in the engine bay (assume gearbox).
In 5th gear only, and only when at about 60mph to 70 mph under acceleration I get a diesel like rattle (plastic spoons in a Tupperware box type noise) and turbo sucking noise. Now I know my car is not a diesel, nor a turbo and certainly there's no loose box of plastic spoons.

No other affect on performance, just the noise.

So diagnosis?

5th gear synchro?

Cheers

#3 ·
Can't comment on what it might be, but I can tell you it's nothing to do with the 5th gear synchro. Synchro rings are only involved in gear selection, nothing to do with making noise once the gear has been engaged.
Note the engine revs when it starts making a noise in 5th gear, , then drop down to 4th and let it slow down to the same revs & see if it does it. Sounds to me like some loose item atop the engine vibrating on something else. Is the air filter housing secure ? Look for things like that before worrying about gearbox issues, (could be that the people that changed your clutch have dislodged something slightly.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.