Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hijust had my 75 BMT in for its first service no probs there. I was not impressed with the amount of gear whine/chatter/roughness etc coming from the gearbox all though the gearchanges have been fine. Was massively patronised by the VW technician who offered to show other UPs that made the same noise big deal I thought none of them should be making this much noise I told him. Any way during the test drive he conceded that there was a high pitched dentist drill noise in 5th gear from around 40-70 mph and that was not right. result is they now want the car for 2 days to strip the gearbox down to see what the problem is. Biting my tongue a little I told them the problem is the gearbox is knackered and needs changing. Any way when I had calmed down I decided to ring the VW Regional Brand Manager needless to say he turned out to be an answering machine. I explained to the technician that I have bought and owned new Golfs Polos within the last 5 years and none of them were as bad as the UP. Awaiting developments now but my question is why strip such a noisy and whiny gearbox down???
Clarkey

·
Registered
430 Posts
A common theory is that the noise is due to limited sound proofing as opposed to Polo and Golf etc, lots of threads on gearbox noise with no real concret answers or explanatuions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that but my worry is that in 3 or 4 years time no one will touch an UP that has a noisy gearbox and VW will just be whistling and looking the other way. Had a response from VW today the line is they have to dismantle the gearbox to justify either an economical repair or replacement. My experience of modern robot assembled engines and gearboxes is that once the hairy hands of the sons of toil start fiddling around inside they are stuffed! so I would rather they didn't dismantle it fix it???? and then put it back in in.

·
Registered
851 Posts
My car makes a whistling noise between 60 and 70 mph. I've never thought it was the gearbox though. To my ears it sounds like wind noise - either wind flow around the car or possibly through the central air vent. Nobody else has said this so it's probably my ears playing tricks.Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
523 Posts
I think they all do it, mine does. Look under the bonnet it has zero sound proofing. Lets see what happens in a year or 2.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It's true.. Our golf TDI has loads and loads of soundproofing in the bonnet. The up has none.

·
Registered
583 Posts
AlanG said:
My car makes a whistling noise between 60 and 70 mph. I've never thought it was the gearbox though. To my ears it sounds like wind noise - either wind flow around the car or possibly through the central air vent. Nobody else has said this so it's probably my ears playing tricks.
At those speeds there is indeed some wind noise coming from the general windshield area.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Shouldn't be too difficult to buy some under bonnet insulation and cut to fit the up!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts