Up Owners Club banner

Gearbox Synchro

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  North London Mike 
#1 ·
Hi all

8000 mile UP, struggling with synchro on reverse and 5th gear

Fast changes and short changes cause the odd crunch, even with the clutch on the floor

However, the biggest problem is reverse, crunch going in and then she won't release the gear, tried rev matching, double de clutching, in the end had to turn the car off to kill the revs

This is in a modern 'family friendly' city car, gear changes should be the strong point, not a weakness :sad:

Booked in for warranty work with a loan car, its not going out be same day (is it !)

Anybody else had similar ????

#2 ·
Lots of gearbox (idler gear rattle), and clutch (not going into first & reverse, particularly on a cold day) issues. on earlier cars, but not particularly on cars after middish 2015, after which (because of so many issues), VWE apparently updated / upgraded the clutch and box.
If you're talking about your 90PS Beats bersion, they ahve the much beefier box from the Polo, which also has a bigger diameter clutch, and no idler gear rattle.
The wife & I both have Tsi High Up's with 8000 and 12000 miles, and the transmission on both are as smooth as silk.

#3 ·
Good to know, looks like mine might be a actual fault with my car rather than a product problem. Had it been out of warranty I might have been tempted to drive around it, but it isn't so I might as well find the problem and fix it...............

#5 ·
when cold 1st and reverse sometimes require double clutching, but in the year of having my car all the gears can have issues, except for 3rd which seems to be fine, although i find more issues going from 4th to 2nd, and 4th to 5th, as i've crunched those the most.

this could be down to my car doing 16k in just over a year and i'm pretty brutal when shifting gears, also it's a pretty early car built FEB13.

#6 ·
Notchy notchy.....

Notchy doesnt sound like synchros to me. Synchros sound grindy-crunchy.
Id make sure it is or isnt the synchros before going ahead.

Check over the gearbox mounts and make sure theyre in ok condition.
Change the clutch oil if it hasnt been done recently; needs to be done every 50,000km.
I even found air in my system last owner wasnt the brightest.

When was the gearbox oil done last?

Could be the synchro, but check the basics first if you havent already done so.

#8 ·
Finally got her back, took nearly three weeks, had to order parts but warranty so a stock order 5-7 days (better margin for the dealer) instead of VOR next day when you're paying retail. They also nicked a coolant hose which they had to order and replace

Changed synchro on 5th but they couldn't fault reverse. However, when they put it back together, no first gear. Apparently the box is tolerance sensitive so another strip and 'correctly' re-assembled.............appears to be working, just need to put some miles on it, not a great start..........

I'll report any developments

Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.