Up Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm enjoying my up! but I need some advice please. For the last 40 years I've driven automatics. My up! is manual and has five gears (40 years ago there were only 4). The up! 'trains' me to get into 5th pretty quickly - and stay there, even if the car is doing around 30mph. To me the engine seems to struggle at that speed. Any tips anyone can give me about 'best practice' for driving in 5th? Many thanks.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The up-shift suggestion is only to be heeded if the conditions are absolutely conducive to shifting up at that time, i.e. the road is level or drops away, you don't need to accelerate, you have no passengers, the tyres are correctly inflated, there is no head-wind, etc.

Even taking all that into account, the speed at which it suggests and up-shift is rather low for a small petrol 3-cylinder engine, but can be done if you are light on the throttle and are just maintaining speed on a flat or downhill, etc.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I find the up is happy at 40mph in 5th gear on level ground. Best eco practice when normal driving is to skip from 3rd to 5th and cut out a gear change.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I found that I have to ignore the suggestion on even a slight incline (and living in Wales there are quite a few hills round here).

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree with move up! The engine is a bit underpowered to be doing 30 mph in fifth gear unless the points that move up! says is fullfilled, so don't be a slave to the indicator, take it more as an information that indicates that you CAN shift up, but not that you HAVE to

1 - 5 of 5 Posts