Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to work quick on this between thunder/lightening/showers.

This is one of our New Car Details (it's what I do).

Looking for a two-fold outcome during this process. Firstly to get the little beast properly protected and secondly to carry out a comprehensive condition check of the bodywork.

At 150 miles George was a tad grubby so needed a good pre-protection clean.

Process:

Snowfoamed with ValetPRO ph Neutral Foam and rinsed.

De-bugged with AutoRae Chem Brite.

Hand washed with Swissvax Car Bath and rinsed.

Alloys cleaned with Autosmart Smartwheels. This also stripped the tyres of the too shiny dressing that the dealer had used.

Car clayed with Sonus Mild Green and Meg's Last Touch lube.

Rewashed with Swissvax Car Bath and dried.

1 x coat Wolfs Bodywrap Sealant applied.

1 x coat Raceglaze 4x4 PTFE Wax applied.

Glass sealed with Carlack Glass Sealant.

Wheels sealed with Swissvax Autobahm.

Tyres dressed with Finish Kare Topkote dressing.

All rubber seals treated with Einzett Gummi-pfledge.

Paintwork checks carried out using a Sun Gun and Positec paint thickness guage.

Re paintwork condition check. No chips, scratches or dents evident plus all metal paintwork panels consistent thickness ie no pre-delivery repair work carried out. No chips to alloys.

Here are some very quick shots of George as the weather was very iffy. NB: tyres are still 'wet' as the dressing has not yet dried and I wanted to take the pic's quick! FK TK is a self finishing product and evaporates down to a nice natural finish - the shine and all the little white blobs of dressing will disappear!

George's smiley snout:

Looks nice from the rear too:

Black Gloss wheels - what a misnomer but they look great (see previous note about tyre dressing not yet 'set').

Edited by: VWXYZ

·
Registered
523 Posts
Nice :) I agree that FK dressing does look good when dry. What sort of paint thickness readings did you get?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For Supermegamonkee: 95-113 microns. Acceptable range and about on par with most modern car paints from Germany.
Edited by: VWXYZ

·
Registered
523 Posts
VWXYZ said:
For Supermegamonkee: 95-113 microns.  Acceptable range and about on par with most modern car paints from Germany.
That's not too bad, Thanks for the feedback. My up will be my first black car... Looking forward to the challenge!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Blooming 'eck that's a lot of product

Made me tired reading it

·
Registered
587 Posts
I do like Candy white all polished up.Strangelyfound it more satisfying to clean and easier to get looking good than my previous silver FR. Nice job, wheels look good only the front brakes need eitherlacqueringto stay looking good or silver Hammerite later on to keep them nice and shiny and new being quite visible through the multispoke wheels

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
304 Posts
Powerful... Just reading the minimum water flow required is min 6 litres a minute! I am looking at the auto direct snow foamer at the £45 pound mark.

I am umming and arghhing about twitch snow foam solution to go for... The valetpro advanced, AD magi foam or meguiars hyperwash. Have you tried the others?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Markmod1 said:
Powerful... Just reading the minimum water flow required is min 6 litres a minute! I am looking at the auto direct snow foamer at the £45 pound mark.

I am umming and arghhing about twitch snow foam solution to go for... The valetpro advanced, AD magi foam or meguiars hyperwash. Have you tried the others?
Most lances need a good flow rate to get a thick mousse. Our Kranzles shift either 7Lpm or 11Lpm depending on which one we use.

Tbh there is not a lot of difference between the premium snow foams imo. Greg at valetPRO supplies some nice products and his ph Neutral that I use is really good. Give the Advanced a go!

If you need more oooomph on a grubbier than usual car you can always use the snow foam as a carrier and add some APC into the mix. We look after 30+ Range Rovers/Sports/Discoveries and some of them come in very dirty as you can imagine and we usually use the APC loaded foam method. If there is a lot of organic debris in the arches etc we will beef things up with Autorae's bug shifter as this dissolves all such debris with ease.

Snowfoam - versatile!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm using Autosmarts acti mousse, tried many and settled on this. I find its good value too, even better if you split a drum with a mate circa £20 per 12.5L.

·
Registered
215 Posts
i'll be using some car wash stuff from the pound shop haha ...

only kidding bought some autoglymbodywork shampoo conditioner and as its a Red UP got some 'poor boys world' Nattys paste wax ..smells sooooo good too
hubbys got a tornado red mk2 scirocco and it comes up a treat on that so will be using the same on my UP !

·
Registered
304 Posts
VWXYZ thanks for the heads up re the Tyre Top Kote... It's superb, used it Saturday and give super results... So great info in your original post

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Very nice indeed!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
put the above picture on and forgot to put text .My UP! Black at 1500 miles .I have to have an opertation tomorrow so i won,t be able to drive for four weeks ...OH NO....

·
Registered
727 Posts
fat spanner said:
I have to have an opertation tomorrow so i won,t be able to drive for four weeks ...OH NO....

That's nothing, my up! has been parked 3 weeks already and it's looking like my 2 (cataract) operations wont be before mid October..!!

Good luck with your operation and wishing you a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Lovely car (cos it's the same as the one Im getting!)

good luck with the op!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Of course it's lovely

Good luck with your ops guys. Hope all goes well x

1 - 20 of 22 Posts