Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering installing a charging mount for my cell phone, and to avoid cable clutter I want to hardwire the mount to the car's existing wiring somewhere behind the dashboard.Has anybody been doing that? Or have been disassembling the dashboard for some reason or another? In that case, how can it be done? In the "old days" it was just a matter of removing a car's radio, and you would then have somewhat easy access to a 12V supply, both "always on" and "ignition controlled". But with the integrated radio in the Up! (as well as most new cars), there's no easy way of getting to a power source.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The radio does come out, so I guess there will still be a supply?

·
Registered
727 Posts
FreddyL said:
I'm considering installing a charging mount for my cell phone, and to avoid cable clutter I want to hardwire the mount to the car's existing wiring somewhere behind the dashboard.
A cell phone charging mount that plugs directly into your cigarette lighter is far easier.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Or an inverter that allows you to use any mains voltage charger. Or a plugin usb socket.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Easiest is the 12V cigarette lighter. It comes up quite easyli with apropriate application of a plastic wedge at one end.
It is controlled by the ignition.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Volkswagen now offer a built in charging dock for the up it will sit in the cup holder at the front but will be convered in a piano black sort of shelf which is about 99 pounds its really quite brilliant!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Vwpartsmen said:
Volkswagen now offer a built in charging dock for the up it will sit in the cup holder at the front but will be convered in a piano black sort of shelf which is about 99 pounds its really quite brilliant!
Do you have a link to any details?

·
Registered
705 Posts
The online brochure is unavailable at the moment.

Nick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts