Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya folks,
2 questions really! Sorry if it's already been posted but

1) Does shell v power (or such good fuels) do anything for the up! Or is standard unleaded better?

2) How many miles do you think the supplied tyres will last for? i.e 10000 or 20000 etc

·
Registered
811 Posts
My tyres are still like new on the Take Up after 9000 miles, so they should be good for at least 20000. I have tried posh petrol and it made no noticeable difference for me.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put posh fuel in today cost me an extra pound or so but in the long run will it make a difference? I don't know lol and is it posh or are they just advertising it and because we don't have the equipment to prove them wrong we just accept it

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Itzben!
1) The fuel situation is a tricky one. It seems to depend on the make, and engine. I've got friends at work that swear by it (Honda Civic Type R), Golf GTI, BMW Alpina B3), but I also know people that have Fords & Vauxhall's that say it doesn't do anything at all.
I'll see if I can do a bit of research for you now and let you know.
2)This also depends on your journey. If it's motorway etc, you should easily see 20,000 miles. If like me you mostly use twisty B roads, 10-15,000 will probably be the most.

Matt

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
M4796P said:
Hi Itzben!
1) The fuel situation is a tricky one. It seems to depend on the make, and engine. I've got friends at work that swear by it (Honda Civic Type R), Golf GTI, BMW Alpina B3), but I also know people that have Fords & Vauxhall's that say it doesn't do anything at all.
I'll see if I can do a bit of research for you now and let you know.
2)This also depends on your journey. If it's motorway etc, you should easily see 20,000 miles. If like me you mostly use twisty B roads, 10-15,000 will probably be the most.

Matt

thanks for that!

·
Registered
393 Posts
My pleasure. I've just started looking for you, but not sure how long it will take.

Matt

·
Registered
583 Posts
Itzben said:
1) Does shell v power (or such good fuels) do anything for the up! Or is standard unleaded better?
It's certainly cheaper

According to consumer groups here, premium fuels don't improve your fuel consumption significantly.

One exception being Total Excelium Diesel, but the reduction in fuel consumption is nowhere near what you'd need to offset the premium price.

2) How many miles do you think the supplied tyres will last for? i.e 10000 or 20000 etc
What are your supplied tyres ?
VW mount Continental, Hankook and Bridgestone on the up!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Itzben. Just been looking for you and found quite a mixed bag. It looks like you have to use it long term to "Feel" the benefits, and that only Shell V-Power is has any real benefit. Apparently if you only use once every fill up you won't notice any difference.
Have a look at this web page that asks these questions and see what you think?

Matt

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
_1S_ said:
What are your supplied tyres ?
VW mount Continental, Hankook and Bridgestone on the up!

Erm I have the continental

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
M4796P said:
Hi Itzben. Just been looking for you and found quite a mixed bag. It looks like you have to use it long term to "Feel" the benefits, and that only Shell V-Power is has any real benefit. Apparently if you only use once every fill up you won't notice any difference.
Have a look at this web page that asks these questions and see what you think?

Matt
I cant see the web page lol!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Itzben. Was that info any good to you? I think it will be too expensive to run on full time. I'll have to look at the price, but from memory, it's about 10p a litre more expensive. That will add nearly a fiver to your fuel bill every time.

Matt

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmmm it is intresting! The tesco momentum I filled up with today was the same price as the diesel! Ill read it again at work tomorrow! Thanks for finding it

·
Registered
393 Posts
No problem mate. Glad to help.

Matt.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Surely the point here is that if Shell advertise the fact that their premium fuel (in the UK) is "better" for car engines then, small print aside, you can bet your life that they have at some stage had to back up this statement. The ASA would be onto them in an instant.

Their is no way that the other fuel companies would allow such a statement to go unchallenged if they thought their was any doubt.

But, on the other side of the coin, if VW spend millions on R & D to be able to say that a particular model runs at it's best on 95ron fuel then why would you want to spend a substantial amount more per litre on dearer fuel?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I used shell vpower for the first 1000 miles, and 95unleaded after that, and it's certainly running better on that.
About tyre range, my dealer told me I should expect around 40000 miles from the stock tyres

·
Registered
235 Posts
From the wear rate I've seen so far on Bridgestone Ecopias, I look as though I'll get at least 20,000 from the front tyres and 40,000 from the rears from mixed driving, so about 30,000 from the set (minimum).

Interestingly, for all of you that may be sitting on the fence regarding winter tyres (for next winter), after 9,000+ miles on my winter Pirellis I was amazed that the wear rate is very similar to the summer Bridgestone Ecopias - so once you have the spare wheels, they cost no more in tyres and very little, if any, on additional fuel.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Itzben said:
Erm I have the continental
Continental isn't renowned for its long lasting tyres, I'm afraid.

ADAC.de tested the '2 in 195/65 R 15 V and found it to be amongst the fastest wearing of the lot.

ADAC Tyre test

They perform well, but it comes at a price.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Continental's are notoriously soft, but grippy. I've had them on numerous cars and found that they wear quicker, but give good grip.
As for the fuel situation, apparently there was a piece on 5th Gear, where they tested all types of fuel, and found that the premium fuels didn't make any difference. I've been have a look for this but so far haven't found anything that I can post or link. I'll have a look tomorrow on Youtube for it.

Matt

1 - 20 of 22 Posts