Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,I'm looking for a good phone mount for the Up! I had a suction cup one, but being a small car it was difficult to find a good spot to get the suction cup to stick without blocking my view or getting into the way. The air vent ones won't work since there is only 1 and I don't want that blocked, especially during summer. If you're happy with what you're using would appreciate it if you could share a photo. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Brodit Bracket

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Mountek Mount

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
When your phone is operating through Maps and More why is a bracket necessary?

·
Super Moderator
1,096 Posts
I hate driving around with my phone in my pocket, and quite often, my son will 'borrow' my phone to check on the footy scores or play a game, so a bracket makes it easier to store the phone. I don't have my phone paired with my maps and more as it interferes with my ipod which annoys the **** out of me!

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Beevee said:
Maps and More doesn't have text message support for my phone, so it needs to sit so I can view texts legally, plus I only listen to music via Spotify, so I need to drive that via my phone as it's also not supported by Maps and More.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
Beevee said:
Maps and More doesn't have text message support for my phone, so it needs to sit so I can view texts legally, plus I only listen to music via Spotify, so I need to drive that via my phone as it's also not supported by Maps and More.
Could you explain what you mean by "view texts legally"?

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Beevee said:
shakotanVIP said:
Beevee said:
Since M+M won't display texts, I have to view them via the phone screen, and to do this it is illegal to hold the phone, hence the requirement for a cradle. Primarily though, it's for siting the phone somewhere so I can drive Spotify via Bluetooth.Edited by: shakotanVIP

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
Beevee said:
shakotanVIP said:
Beevee said:
Since M+M won't display texts, I have to view them via the phone screen, and to do this it is illegal to hold the phone, hence the requirement for a cradle. Primarily though, it's for siting the phone somewhere so I can drive Spotify via Bluetooth.
Whilst I can understand that you want to be able to drive spotify I would have thought that reading text messages when driving could be considered dangerous. Regardless of if you hold the phone or have it in a cradle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Beevee said:

If Maps + More actually did display texts and emails than that's great but it doesn't. Also it doesn't display the traffic conditions so I find it useful to have my phone display the map with the traffic

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Beevee said:
shakotanVIP said:
Beevee said:
shakotanVIP said:
Beevee said:
Since M+M won't display texts, I have to view them via the phone screen, and to do this it is illegal to hold the phone, hence the requirement for a cradle. Primarily though, it's for siting the phone somewhere so I can drive Spotify via Bluetooth.
Whilst I can understand that you want to be able to drive spotify I would have thought that reading text messages when driving could be considered dangerous. Regardless of if you hold the phone or have it in a cradle.
Difference is, one is legal, the other is not.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Can't be bothered to keep repeating posts shakotanVIP. I still think that it is likely that reading text messages whilst driving is dangerous. I think any activity that takes your eyes off the road even for a couple of seconds is dangerous but then I am just an old fart.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Beevee said:
Can't be bothered to keep repeating posts shakotanVIP. I still think that it is likely that reading text messages whilst driving is dangerous. I think any activity that takes your eyes off the road even for a couple of seconds is dangerous but then I am just an old fart.
Regardless of your opinion of what is/is not dangerous, I put my phone in a mount so I can legally read texts.

I presume your car does not have M&M, or at least you have the display function turned off, if you truly believe you should not take your eyes off the road.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Don't take things so personally shakotanVIP. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and just because mine doesn't agree with yours there is no need for a personal attack. Live and let live for goodness sake. This would be a better site if every one was allowed to comment without having their comment quoted and attacked. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hi Folks,
For what it is worth here is my input.
The only reason all of us are here, on this Forum, is that we all own a VW Up. If we love them or loath them is a personal opinion that we choose to share with other like minded people. Every one is different, thank goodness, and we should embrace that, and live, learn and enjoy.
Whether we are new contributors or seasoned " posters" if we all remain polite and courteous we can all enjoy, laugh, disagree and benefit from other opinions.
Let us all accept our different ways of communicating with each other and remain an integral part of this Forum, because it is a good place to come to and benefit.
It will be a sad day if it degenerates into a battle of wits.

Go well.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Here here! Someone was recently going on about their stonechip and when I observed it was a first world problem, I was verbally sniped. If we were all around 100 years ago, we'd soon be starting the retreat from Mons. Now that was a problem.Edited by: AlanG

1 - 20 of 28 Posts