Up Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have read quite a few of the forums threads on winter tyres / wheels until my heads spinning and I don't want to rehash what's already been discussed.

Have run winters on more than a few of my cars for the past decade so already a bit of a disciple.

I understand the pros and cons for and against smaller / narrower and larger / wider, but to my eye the GTI needs 17"s and am starting there for this reason alone.

Anyhow, one option I've homed in on are some 17x7 et35 alloys - manufacturer confirms they'll fit the GTI.

The closest tyre to the original size that the brand I'd prefer do is 205/40 17, plus that additional 1/2" width of the replacement wheels over the standard ones will compensate.

Have run things passed my insurance and they're flexible on my varying from standard spec. but only to a certain degree.

So having put the figures through different online calculators the below is part of what one example states.

Ideally if someone is already running this exact same setup on a GTI, on standard suspension (winter tyres or otherwise) it'd be great to hear of your experiences rather than rely on the inter-web.

Cheers.

Product Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

Registered
Have read quite a few of the forums threads on winter tyres / wheels until my heads spinning and I don't want to rehash what's already been discussed.

Have run winters on more than a few of my cars for the past decade so already a bit of a disciple.

I understand the pros and cons for and against smaller / narrower and larger / wider, but to my eye the GTI needs 17"s and am starting there for this reason alone.

Anyhow, one option I've homed in on are some 17x7 et35 alloys - manufacturer confirms they'll fit the GTI.

The closest tyre to the original size that the brand I'd prefer do is 205/40 17, plus that additional 1/2" width of the replacement wheels over the standard ones will compensate.

Have run things passed my insurance and they're flexible on my varying from standard spec. but only to a certain degree.

So having put the figures through different online calculators the below is part of what one example states.

Ideally if someone is already running this exact same setup on a GTI, on standard suspension (winter tyres or otherwise) it'd be great to hear of your experiences rather than rely on the inter-web.

Cheers.

View attachment 8788
There's loads of people that run 17x7 with 205/40 tyres at various offsets (et35 is a good one). What exactly would you lime to know?

I have that exact set up you mention but I'm not on standard suspension so can't help you there - but they fit, and is a big improvement (better if lowered though 馃槈).

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wheels I'm considering are available through a few of the big name outlets.

One in particular doesn't recommended 205/40's with that offset (give a generic response covering a multitude of reasons that could be as mickey mouse as speedo error through to fouling the suspension), the others say they're OK, but too big an outlay to not check up on first.

I'll be getting everything mail order so even I can send anything back don't want the needless hassle so doing my homework first.

It was things like potential for rubbing on full lock, or when fully compressed, closeness to the suspension etc., but I'd imagine if anything your suspension would magnify any such issues if they existed and the fact they don't answers my question.

Not a consideration at the moment but good to know that if I ever did think about looking at the suspension I still could even with the winter set up.

You're right, does look the doggies lowered

Cheers.

Registered
2019 gti 3 door tungsten silver
There's loads of people that run 17x7 with 205/40 tyres at various offsets (et35 is a good one). What exactly would you lime to know?

I have that exact set up you mention but I'm not on standard suspension so can't help you there - but they fit, and is a big improvement (better if lowered though 馃槈).

View attachment 8789
What wheels are those.

Registered
2014 High Up!, 75hp,Black
7x17 et40 Cades Tyrus
same as mine but silver

1 - 5 of 5 Posts