Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not in the a Up! But the Beetle.

Driving home at 11.30pm, dead straight road and noticed someone approaching fast with their lights on full beam about a mile behind. We were going along at 30mph which was the speed limit. This thing got closer and closer, then bang!

Shoved us up the road. I jumped out to see this guy reversing back up the road then shoot off down a side road in an Abacus van hire transit van.

I took off after him but he was driving like a maniac with his lights off so I couldn't see the number plate.

Police have been on the lookout and the van hire company are on the look out for front damage to their vans.

It has split the lower bumper of our car and that's with us driving along! If we had been stationary it would have been very bad.

We are both livid but can do no more than we have. I hope the drunken idiot ends his life in a tree before he kills someone.

Sorry to be uncharitable but I'm glad I didn't catch him because I was so angry I'd have pulled him apart like a chicken wing and then of course I'd be in trouble.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Holy crap mate. Hope you and your passenger are alright?

Such maniacs on the road. I too am uncharitable regarding d**kheads like this as they tend to be the people that kill others on the road but who survive themselves.

Hope the police find him and throw away the key!Edited by: Fidel_Castronaut

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Hellish!....folk like that should be peeled then dropped in a bag of salt....hope they get the B.!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm pretty sure the hire company will find them. If they have been informed then they will be looking for a van to be returned with the damage.
I have complained to a hire company before and was told the hirer would be banned upon returning the van and they would cooperate if I wanted to press charges.

Driving along the motorway at 70mph in the outside lane (overtaking not just sitting in the outside lane) the hire van came right up behind me very fast and sat there with only 1-2ft to spare to intimidate me to pull over quickly and let him pass. This riled me as I do not take to intimidation well so I stayed in the outside lane as long as I could, just doing 70mph and overtaking much to his annoyance with constant horn bashing, light flashing and getting as close as he could to my car. When there was enough room that I thought he would undertake I pulled over and as they passed the passenger threw a bottle out of his window at my car but luckily it got caught by the wind and missed. I did not press charges because I was travelling to be away on holiday and did not want the hassle. You have to think about how stupid the driver and passenger must be to be acting like that when the hire company's name and number is splashed all over the van and I could clearly take down the registration number

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been talking to the MD of the company. It's a family business and they are all on the look out. Hopefully this can will have a broken number plate as that's what took the impact. I've offered to meet the driver myself instead of involving the Police. I'm built like a prop forward.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Word of advice mate, don't do anything hasty. I realise that you probably want to scare the crap out of this idiot for doing something so disgusting to you and your passenger, and nobody on here would ever blame you for it (I wouldn't anyway).

But use the system to your advantage. You've spoken to the MD of the company, and the police are aware. You could do something to him you'll regret, he'll get whatever's coming to him but you'll also get reprimanded for it. Instead, just let the system deal with him. He's 100% in the wrong and sh*t will catch up with him one or or another.

Edited by: Fidel_Castronaut

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you really want to get at him there will be an excess on the rental companies insurance, just put in an insurance claim when you have the culprit. It might only be a few hundred quid but it'll come out of his pocket

1 - 9 of 9 Posts