Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Melbourne, Australia.
Im Mitch or as my friends call me "Mitchell Von Snitzel"
I picked up my Up! last night and i am wrapped with it. I was driving a Holden Calais (you may need google to know what it is, its Australian GM)with a 5.0 litre V8 getting 14.5Litres of fuel to every 100kms (about 16MPG). I am a Real Estate Agent in Melbournes inner western and northern suburbs so i needed a small, economical car that was cheap to buy new and not a Kia or Hyundai. Holden used to import corsas as Barinas but now they import the sh*ty Daewoo/Chev small car and thats the current barina and it is terrible.

In Australia VW has stopped selling the Up! as of this year due to poor sales. I managed to save $4,500 on my new car and got it for $12990 drive away taxes and everything included. Pretty **** cheap for what it is.
I dont know about whats standard in Euro models but here we have just one model and then an option list. I only got the Maps and More as this car is for business and i wanted it as cheap as possible. You could get comfort and style packs.
Standard features
air con
heater
electric windows n mirrors
CD Player

Crash mitigation systemremote central locking

all normal safety features like ABS ESC etc.

I plan totint the windows dark, gloss black vinyl roof, BBS RS wheels in Red with polished lip and lower it 30-40mm. Thatll do as its a work car and i still want to build up My Calais V8.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi Mitch,

or "Herr von Schnitzel" ...

The up! configs in Europe differ from country to country.
Germany has most puristic basic versions but most models, motor variants and extras ...

Hope the M&M maps for Australia are as good as they are here in Germany.
I think M&M provides fantastic features - and with a 32GB microSD card, it contains my 5000 favorite songs ...

I have all "drive assistent extras" in my black 4 door version.

I love the tornado red you have. Well; at least the dash in my black up! is red, too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You guys have different engines?!?!? We are a tiny market so we have a 55KW 1 litre 5 speed manual and thats it. I love it but I cant help but think of what it would be like with a small TDI manual. Yeah the red is fantastic. I had the choice of white or red because I needed immediate delivery as my Calais gearbox crapped itself. I want to gloss black vinyl the interior doors where they are red, it doesnt match the rest of the grey black interior.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Not "different", but some engines are only available in some countries ...
The high up! is only available with 75 bhp/PS (55 kW) in England as far as I know, while the move up! has 60 bhp/PS (44 kW) there???

In Germany you can get the 60 or 75 bhp/PS for every move up! / high up! and also the "blue motion technology" (eco-tec???) versions. With the ASG thi makes six different motors for the move up! and high up!in Germany. The take up! is only available with 44 kW (normal or BMT - and no ASG).

There is no TDI version!
The "smaller" 44kW would have been the alternative to your 55kW ...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Snitzel et all,

Given that the Up started out at AU$18,000 for the base model with manual only, GUARANTEED that it would fail with entry level buyers that are usually females wanting auto transmissions.

Saw a demo unit at the local dealer: BARLOWORLD still with $18K PLUS ORC on the screen.
Still too close to POLO.

David

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
David yeah my thoughts exactly. It had little chance of survival but it did for a few years. I'm glad at how much I got mine for and how good it is. 4 days and 350kms so far and loving it. I did 100kms today and averaged 3.7L per 100km which was very surprising but that's the computer telling me and I'm skeptical of trip computers accuracy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi and welcome Mitch.
You will really notice the difference in fuel costs/use.
Traded my VE Commodore for my Up!
Was averaging about 10-11 per 100 kms.
Now with my Up! its around 4.5 - 5 per 100 kms.
Yeah, Premium Petrol does cost abit more than regular unleaded, but you make up for that in distance travelled.
l have a dark blue Up! with Comfort Pack and M&M.
Have had it now for about 10 months and love driving it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks down under. Yeah never with my old calais would I get change after filling a full tank of premium and getting coffee would I get change out of $60 haha. Do you use 100, 98 or 95 octane? Notice any difference.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi Mitch,

l used Shell V-Power which is 98.
l use Coles fuel voucher, so it's 4 cents off.
As my fill ups are long time apart, am quite happy to use the 98.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey snitzel,

I was lucky enough to have spent a month in Oz earlier this year. I was kindly given the use of a Toyota Camry for length of my stay. A common car over in Oz, but never sold in the UK. Having been used to small European cars I really missed my Up! and I sure missed the economy of the car too! I did see a few Up!s in Queensland! Shame the up! Is no longer available down under because its a great cheap runaround.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts