Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just registered and thought I'd say hello :)

Px'd my Fabia vRS for a High up! I'm doing mainly short urban journeys now and getting less than 30 mpg from the vRS so it was time to change.

I was worried that the up! would be like a snail after a 180 bhp 1.4 TSI but was very pleasantly surprised after test-driving a 60 PS Move up! Really enjoyed the slick gear change after driving a DSG for a couple of years :)

I've gone for a Candy White one which is already in the country so should be able to pick up at the beginning of March. No extras other than carpet mats which I got them to throw in for nothing along with 3 years servicing to sweeten the deal.

Just have to play the waiting game now...

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have had a candy white move up for 16 months and it hasn't missed a beat! I hope yours is just as good. How come your 1.4 returns less than 30mpg? Foot to the floor?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AlanG said:
I have had a candy white move up for 16 months and it hasn't missed a beat! I hope yours is just as good. How come your 1.4 returns less than 30mpg? Foot to the floor?

Hi Alan,

cold weather, short journeys, etc. MFD average consumption displayed for current tank is 32 but it's about 10% optimistic...

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Welcome!You can expect about double the mpg!White is 'the' colour IMHO.

·
Registered
957 Posts
You are right Doc that is if you can't get black or silver !

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcomes - now getting bored waiting to hear that my new car has arrived at the dealers. I think I've watched and read every single review available on the internet :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Welcome

nice model and colour choice

·
Registered
540 Posts
HA, I was the same when I ordered my UP (which I didn't end up taking). Read every review, looked at every photo and every modification.

It's a great little car. You'll enjoy it :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, after 2 weeks of "arrived in the UK" from the online tracker I rang the dealer to see what's going on. He said his system (SLI?) says the same thing but he hopes it will arrive early next week. About 10 minutes later he rings and says that it arrived about an hour ago and he hadn't noticed :)

Due to collect next Weds!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmph. My insurance company (Elephant.co.uk) claim that the premium is the same for the Up as it is for the Fabia vRS! They say that they receive hardly any claims for the Fabia but loads for the Up and that's why. I'll be voting with my feet at renewal time in a couple of months...

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Umiamz said:
Hmmph. My insurance company (Elephant.co.uk) claim that the premium is the same for the Up as it is for the Fabia vRS! They say that they receive hardly any claims for the Fabia but loads for the Up and that's why. I'll be voting with my feet at renewal time in a couple of months...

time for the meercats .... simples!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Insurance companies really do take the pi** sometimes. I understand actuary and risk(sort of), but honestly, my premium with Admiral for my UP was only around £100 cheaper than my Alfa!

Was funny talking to the Admiral customer service person when I said I wanted to cancel my renewal though. When I told her why I wanted to cancel she just seem to act like it was normal.

Obviously different insurers target different markets, but it's doubly odd when you think so many are underwritten by the same holding company and thus they shouldn't be any different.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My High Up was about 15% cheaper than my Ford KA, and until I retired yesterday I needed business cover for approximately 20,000 miles per year. However I am on a block policy arranged through The Institute of Advanced Motorist's broker.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One of the reasons I went with Elephant.co.uk was that they gave me a discount for IAM membership (I also have RoADA Gold but that wasn't counted). Anyway, just done a search with the meerkats and they start at £140 for the same level of cover :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just picked up my new High Up (3dr Candy White). Feels so big inside it's a bit of a shock when you get out and see how small it is! Only 8 miles on the clock but feels pretty nippy already.

One issue - it came with an older Navigon-badged M&M. They said that's what came with it, but they're going to order me a new Garmin-badged one.

One thing about the M&M - on the trip info display it constantly showed 80 miles for the range and 200 mpg for the consumption (at the bottom right of the screen) - the average consumption figure looked correct. Anything I've missed here?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re the Maps 'n More - this is obviously a used one. "My Destinations" is full of somebody else's routes!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sounds like your dealer was trying to pull a fast one.I was under the impression that the M&M didn't come with the car from the factory and that the dealer order them. Guess they had an old one hanging around and tried to saves them self a few pounds.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
demand a new M&M, meanwhile do a full reset of the one it came with

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just been back to the dealer and picked up a brand new Garmin one. This one works fine - the range and consumption are updating properly.

One thing I've noticed - when I've got the fan on blowing cold or hot air (hot this morning in the fog, cold in the sun this afternoon!) when I come to a halt there's a strong smell coming from the air vents - a bit like burning rubber. Anybody else had this with a brand new car? Dealer says it's normal...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts