Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not really sure whether an Up GT with more power is really worth it.

In the type of roads and speeds where the current UP was designed for (i.e. A/B-road driving
at speeds of 30-60mph) the current 60 or 75PS engine has plenty of acceleration and power if you rev. it
in 3rd or 4th gear.

On the motorway it could maybe do with a bit more power when accelerating between 50-80mph
but I don't think the Up is really designed (or sound proofed enough) for extensive use on the
motorways.

So, if they add more sound-proofing maybe it would be worth upgrading to a more powerful engine.
Until then I probably wouldn't bother. However not having driven an UP GT I could be completely wrong!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I've already been accused of being a boy racer on other threads because when needed I use kickdown and allow the ASG to reach extreme revs before it changes up. To some it appears that the Up! Is exclusively a city car with a maximum speed of 40 mph. I suppose they would classify an Up! GT as appropriate as a mouse mating with an elephant.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Alan_M said:
On the motorway it could maybe do with a bit more power when accelerating between 50-80mphbut I don't think the Up is really designed (or sound proofed enough) for extensive use on the
motorways.

So, if they add more sound-proofing maybe it would be worth upgrading to a more powerful engine.
Until then I probably wouldn't bother. However not having driven an UP GT I could be completely wrong!

Sound-proofing...?! You're kidding.. right?

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
paul, the Atom reminds me of the Smart Crossfire...nice!

to the OP, I spend equal time on motorway as country a roads and would love a bit more acceleration....just because they sell it as a city car doesn't mean it needs to stay in a city....ours rarely are citybound...just see my mileage for proof

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you have never, ever depressed the accelerator pedal as far as it will go, then no, you don't need any more power...

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
UpMan said:
If you have never, ever depressed the accelerator pedal as far as it will go, then no, you don't need any more power...

think I've got a dent on the floor under the accelerator

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would like to distance myself from all scepticism regarding the "point" of an Up GT...VW just build the **** thing already

Seriously though, if it's anything like the Lupo GTi...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Privatedoc said:
UpMan said:

think I've got a dent on the floor under the accelerator

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a Panda 100 HP which did 0-60 in 9 seconds,so quite quick,but it only did 30 MPG in town.I prefered it to the standard Panda. Years ago in the 70s i always had fast sports cars....a TR6 and a V12 E Type,but the traffic was different in those days.

I do not see the point these days of having any quick car with the crazy traffic,and constant stop start. You do not drive today,you just do a few short hops. Drive a few yards and stop for Traffic lights.A few more yards then pelican lights,then pedestrian crossings,then clowns pulling out infront of you from side roads,then traffic jams etc.

Today i want good MPG and Automatic which is a must.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I see you are in Manchester and yes, for city driving I agree, auto,economical and comfortable but conversely some of us are lucky enough to have plenty of interesting quiet roads around so I guess it's horses for courses !

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm lucky enough to live in the sticks, lots of good drivers roads around me that even in my slow Up, are fun

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree to an extent, I don't think there is much point in a GT in terms of it's performance. The UP! does not have that sort of image whereby more speed is required. I do like the styling features of teh GT though!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts