Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know any specifics about the Up GT? I've seen a rough release date on here but does anyone know anything else, for example the insurance group or price?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I think Vw are now offering the iPhone integrated dash as an option on the beetle so perhaps the early GT photos of the phone clip-in dash were accurate.....hope so

·
Registered
235 Posts
With the launch of the Groove and Rock up! we probably have a first indication of where VW are likely to go with the GT in terms of spec and price.
Given that the Rock up! has 16" wheels (+ spare), side skirts, spoilers and 'go-faster' stripes but little else over-and-above a High up! but is going for a cool £12,980 plus all the usual extra-cost options, the £13,500 starting point for the GT now looks very optimistic.
All the pictures of the GT are in the pearlescent white, now available as a £900 option on the Groove up! and a picture seems to be emerging.
Assuming the GT does come with the concept's front bumper, seats, wheels etc. (before you add the turbo-charged engine and 6 speed gearbox) then I can't see being less than £15K!! That would be serious money and pitch it against some very worthy rivals.
IMHO VW could be in danger of killing the goose that lays the golden egg. If it does turn out to be that pricey, I will be changing my plans.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Well if it is 15+k£ (and a loaded one will be £17+K) I'm having a golf convertible or a scirocco instead The Up is great but high teens is taking the piss!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Ian986 said:
That would be cool but would it be a 30 pin connector or the lightning connector ?

Think it is a cradle for your phone you buy to fit the dash so prob both

·
Registered
315 Posts
As already said that price now sounds unlikely seeing as the limited edition Rock Up is just £20 shy of £13k.

£15k or whatever is way off base for a tiddly car like this.

Edited by: VWXYZ

·
Registered
303 Posts
that does seem too much for a hot hatch.

I couldnt get an sport version of the UP. The suspension on the up is very primitive and does not work well at all. If all you want is speed and acceleration, whats wrong with a second hand <insert_every_fast_car_here>?

·
Registered
592 Posts
The brilliant Lupo Gti was almost £14k new back in 2005 (last year of production), so I can't imagine that the similar sized up GT will be as little as £13500.

Like others here, I reckon around £15k before options, however, like the Lupo GTi, I suspect that it would be pretty well loaded as standard.

I had a new Lupo GTi when they first came out (Y plate/5 speed), and loved it to bits, so I think the up GT will have the L"up"po" GTi's bad boy DNA.

For those that may have not seen it (although I have posted it before somewhere on this forum), here is the original VW Lupo (meaning wolf in Italian) GTi's TV ad. Very scary and pulled almost straight away because of complaints. Personally I think it is very apt for the car but others may disagree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdqkw5EPsHE

Still want one though.

Edited by: Truth-seeker

·
Registered
592 Posts
My understanding of the ad, from discussing with someone within theadvertisingworld, is the ad is trying to point out that the GTi is the "bad child" of VW's new "baby" car, although curiously the ad does notspecifically mention the GTi just the Lupo brand.

Still, like you say - all very weird!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Lupo GTI is an excellent car. But I think one edge that the Lupo GTI had was that it was totally different to a standard Lupo. The panels were different (aluminum doors, wings and bonnet), rear arches were round, rear bumper was different, centre exhaust, xenons, different interior trimmings. With a 6 speed and leathers it was a very well spec'd car.

Unless the Up GT is as bispoke to the standard Up it won't really be worth the money. The Lupo GTI was expensive but it was a special car. I mean the Polo GTI of the same era just had different bumper grilles and wheels!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Heartagram said:
Lupo GTI is an excellent car. But I think one edge that the Lupo GTI had was that it was totally different to a standard Lupo. The panels were different (aluminum doors, wings and bonnet), rear arches were round, rear bumper was different, centre exhaust, xenons, different interior trimmings. With a 6 speed and leathers it was a very well spec'd car.

Unless the Up GT is as bispoke to the standard Up it won't really be worth the money. The Lupo GTI was expensive but it was a special car. I mean the Polo GTI of the same era just had different bumper grilles and wheels!
Agreed - the Lupo GTI wasn't just a new engine with a fancy trim level or a body kit (like a VTR/VTS/TYPE-R etc) it was special. I really hope the Up GT follows suit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts