Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to my local dealer in Aberdeen, and the manager there said they will be getting a gt on the floor at the end of this year.. And it will be available in the middle of next year, obviously nothing's set in stone but that's a good sign if he says they will be getting one in by Christmas!!

I really want one.. It's becoming an obsession!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hope he's right, sounds a bit like sales speak though seen as there's been no official announcement recently.

My local dealer told me that both 60 and 75 ps models were supercharged and turbo'd tsi engines!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yes I heard also it was defiantly going into production when I took my golf for its service, the vw bloke reckons it will have a 1.0 TSI 110 engine with a 6 speed box. I won't be getting one personally though as not my bag, prefer the cheap insurance and free road tax.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha. Yeh I know.. I'm trying to not get my hopes up too much specially with the talk it might be getting scraped but when he said their getting a demo car at Christmas, it gets me very excitedd!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Rickenbacker said:
Yes I heard also it was defiantly going into production when I took my golf for its service, the vw bloke reckons it will have a 1.0 TSI 110 engine with a 6 speed box. I won't be getting one personally though as not my bag, prefer the cheap insurance and free road tax.
Yeah one of the magazines road tested an early version of the gt, had that spec you mention, they were still developing the suspension at the time.

·
Registered
251 Posts
In a way, I hope they don't make the GT, because it will make my Move Up look feeble... and I haven't even got it yet.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Do not distress yourself UpMan. Your Moveup will not look feeble or perform feebly. I am sure you will be very pleased with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, I am from South Africa where we dont currently get the Up but it will be shown at our local auto show this week with a possibility that it may be introduced in which case I will defintely get one, preferably a GT so have been on the look out for info on it and came across this article via Australia which alludes to the GT have a different fron end to accomodate the larger engine which is maybe why its taking longer to release (more engineering involved?):

<h2 ="abstract" style="margin: 3px 0px 8px; padding: 3px; border: none; font-family: 'Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; font-size: 1.2em; font-style: italic; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: line; color: rgb51, 51, 51; text-indent: 10px;">To receive torque converter or dual-clutch automatic gearbox</h2><div ="article" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: 'Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 22px; vertical-align: line; color: rgb51, 51, 51;">A Volkswagen representative has confirmed the next generation of the up! will be out in 2017 riding on a newly developed platform.The company's technical chief of transmission development Michael Schafer declared recently the current up! was designed in such a way that it can only have a single-clutch automatic gearbox. He explained this is due to the car's small front compartment which will be replaced by a larger one once the next-gen model will hit the market sometime in 2017.As a result of this switch, the new up! will have enough room at the front to fit either a torque converter automatic or an in-house dual-clutch DSG. Chances are VW will opt for the first option as it will be cheaper to buy a ready-made transmission from Aisin, Getrag or Jatco rather than to build a DSG almost entirely.Thanks to the increased size, Volkswagen will be able to fit the 2017 up! with a new range of TSI engines as replacements for today's MPI units which Schafer admits they don't have a "good feeling in the car" and are not "very sporty or very smooth."He added the production variant of theup! GTwith its 105 HP (77 kW) 4-cylinder, 1.2-liter turbocharged engine will feature a slightly longer nose to accommodate the larger and more powerful engine.http://www.caradvice.com.au/254625/volkswagen-get-new-automatic-improve-pedestrian-safety/

·
Registered
587 Posts
1.2 TSi lump straight from the Polo, Ibiza, Golf...? Thought it was getting 995cc turbo version of the engine in the up! That will add more nose weight and maybe loose some of the up!s back to basic handling? Looking forward to seeing the full specs and pictures.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
I find the 3-cyl MPI perfectly smooth, and its quite sporty once you get it into the higher revs.

I was looking forward to having the 3-cyl turbo in the GT, I love the sound it makes. I'm not sure sure a 4-cyl will cut the mustard.

·
Registered
851 Posts
We think it should be £13.5K but it is likely to be £15.5K. That would be very silly though as you can get a Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec S 125BHP for £13K from DTD.com. You might find you are quoted £11.9K for the Fiesta - but that is only if you're VAT registered.Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
309 Posts
thirteen-o-two said:
The Lupo S and Gti were always very pricey but held their value well. Our 1.4 Sport was a great car and still gave 50mpg on a run - I would be tempted at 14k but 16k is a push. The fiesta does nothing for me and its residuals are hopeless.
Agreed, no point comparing VW prices with Ford's, not on the same page in terms of Quality etc.

On one hand, this news is good that they may be planning a fast up! if they are thinking about a DSG box and different engines, you'd expect it would be more than 110bhp if they are thinking DSG?
But on the other hand, making the front end longer to fit in larger engines and 'boxes seems like a step backward in terms of what they were trying to do with the up in the first place. I agree i'd like to see the 3 cylinder turbo and why not supercharge for some low down grunt aswell

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
It will be around £13k, for reasons I've detailed in other areas of the forum.

There simply won't be justification for the 'gap' in pricing between the High up! and the GT, and anything over £15k brings it dangerously close to the Polo GTi.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's hoping, though I'm not interested in DSG or 2017!

The Fiesta ecoboost 125 seems pretty good but -I've currently got a Fiesta and whilst it is very good indeed to drive its utterly unspecial to own. You never ever get any feeling of pride of ownership from having one. I have a very good hover and heating boiler in my house and the Fiesta just feels like another bit of domestic equipment. If you are a car person you'll feel you've missed out on something by owning one.

I'm going to keep the Fiesta through the winter now and hope for some firm GT news by the spring. If not then I reckon its Suzuki Swift Sport for me!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I tested the Fiesta ecoboost and the up. The Fiesta was brilliant to drive, easily bettering the up. The quality was also pretty good and not too much to choose between the two. What sealed it was the Fiesta not being 'special'. My wife thinks I'm obsessive as I clean it thoroughly every fortnight; it just does feel special and makes me want to look after it.

All my kids preferred the up too, and it'll be their car as well as they learn to drive. The up is also £50 per month cheaper due to lower insurance and running costs, at least with learner drivers!

Up GT will be great, but it may move too far away from the cheap as well as fun motoring that the up delivers. Let's hope not.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I too considered the Fiesta - having had an older model before the newer KA [had 3 of the older model of the KA]. Didn't want another KA as although good to drive it is based on the Fiat 500 and have had several new ball joints and poor life on the discs [I usually get 50,000 per set - not 25,000]. What finally put me of Fiesta was group 11 insurance even for the base models.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Packaging the turbo will be interesting in the ups engine bay.

They would really add to their woes if they wanted an inter cooler system built In... Though a stretch of 20-30mm on the nose would easily help packaging.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts