Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There'll never be a hot Up ""“ the Up GT has been canned due to budget constraints, killing any notion of a Seat Cupra or Skoda vRS version. Nevertheless, Skoda has had a crack at a racier-looking version: the Skoda Citigo Sport. It gets the same lowered, stiffer suspension as our Up long-termer, plus racing stripes, red stitching and a hilarious bodykit. The rear diffuser was in for a shout as most pathetic piece of fake aero car attire ever, until I spotted the snowplough-cum-splitter up front. Still, on its glossy black wheels, it looks pretty cool in a pugnacious, cheeky way.

Inside, the Sport loses out on spec to ""˜my' top-spec ""˜high Up'. No electric mirrors, no heated seats, and only the 64bhp engine, rather than my Up's 74bhp mill. However, you still get sat-nav and Bluetooth, as well as a big cost saving. A Citigo Sport is £10,290: £710 less than a base-spec high Up, before you've added the VW's £480 Sport Pack. Depending on your driving style, that could be a year's worth of fuel.

And to drive? No surprises, the Citigo Sport feels just like the Up. Except for one thing ""“ it just isn't any slower. The 10bhp deficit is inconsequential because the 74bhp engine develops peak power at 6200rpm, while the 64bhp engine gives its best lower down, from 5000-6000rpm. Plus, both engines develop an identical 70lb ft, over the same 3000-4300rpm range. So, in everyday driving, the extra power is completely unnoticeable. It pays to read spec sheets.

If it were my money on the dotted line, having driven both, I'd find it difficult to walk past the Skoda forecourt, despite preferring the Up's styling and badge. The Skoda just makes better value sense ""“ and doesn't have a grammatically incorrect name, which is nice.
read full story..http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives...sts/VW-Up-10-75PS-2013-long-term-test-review/

·
Registered
251 Posts
The Citigo Sport reminds me of this monstrosity. Aixam even have the nerve to call it the GTO

·
Registered
95 Posts
I quite liked the Citigo sport. But it sits 2 insurance groups higher than the High up!, even with the lower power engine. For me that cancelled any price differential within 2-3 years with kids to add to the insurance! And I always liked the up! white.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
I've given up on a sporty up, looking elsewhere now...thought about fiesta st's abarths etc etc but rather than fast, I'll go for topless I reckon....golf cab or eos as I love VW product and I've a fabulous dealer who really goes the extra distance to help.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Privatedoc said:
I've given up on a sporty up, looking elsewhere now...thought about fiesta st's abarths etc etc but rather than fast, I'll go for topless I reckon....golf cab or eos as I love VW product and I've a fabulous dealer who really goes the extra distance to help.
A cabrio in Scotland is brave ;)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Privatedoc said:
What about Mrs Doc !

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Mrs Doc loves her up!, she will get a new one at 3 yrs old and we will pass hers on to no.2 son who will be 17 by then, mine will go to No.1 son when I get something new (perhaps late 2014)....No.3 son still has 5 yrs til he is 17!

the UP! makes a fabulous 1st car for a new driver.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Privatedoc said:

You could wait for the Audi A0 ( upmarket hot UP! )

·
Registered
31 Posts
... possibly not shelved.
Article dated today: "
<h1>Detroit motor show 2014 - VW Up hot hatch 'is back on'</h1>http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/volkswagen-hot-hatch-is-back-on/1226908

However, VW's board member for development, Heinz-Jakob Neusser, has
told What Car? that the firm still plans to install the turbo motor into
the Up. 'The plan, right from the start, has been to turbocharge this
engine and then it will find its way into lots of models, including the Polo,
the Golf and the Up,' he stated. 'So for the last of those cars I can
still say that it is just a matter of time before you see a turbocharged
version.'

Edited by: smargh

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Bloody ****....decide already and let us get our deposits down!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Announce it already!! I want one!

·
Registered
92 Posts
It does work, when you click on the link the first bit doubles up. Just remove that and you can view the article :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Privatedoc said:
Bloody ****....decide already and let us get our deposits down!

Agreed

·
Registered
137 Posts
Absolutely, we can cross our fingers again!

On the other hand (as it were!) maybe we should open a book on how many miles Privatedoc's current up! will have done before he gets his GT

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
36k and counting!

·
Registered
448 Posts
My mileage is similar, but with a dot between the 3 and 6

I think I have a fair distance to go!

Go well.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Privatedoc said:
the UP! makes a fabulous 1st car for a new driver.
.... and also an excellent 20-something-th car for an older driver! For someone recently in the motoring press to describe the up! as 'the worst car I've ever owned' makes me wonder what on earth his (her?) requirements/expectations are!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts