Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
German VW configurator says they are 6.5j x 17 - is that what you're after Jonesy?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Little Bob. Just following on from forum on PH and wondering why VW have put those little plastic arch spats on the arches? The reason I am curious is I have 17""� Polygons from the factory and no spats! Pretty sure my wheels are same specs, so the only other reason I can think of is that the offset must be different on the GTi alloys meaning they stick out a little further?

Jonesy

·
Registered
102 Posts
I assume it's because these are standard figment from the factory for this model so they have to add these to comply with regulations

·
Registered
453 Posts
Only shame about the wheel size is the tyre choice is a bit limited

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes, true - but at least they are only £90 a corner. Could be worse.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Little Bob said:

In reality I don't think that size is great value given limited range, had similar issues with my Polo Blue GT

I have been looking long and hard at sticky tyres for sprinting and come to the conclusion I will drop to 16s and run 205s which are about £70 a corner when its been lowered

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well mine were standard for from the factory and I think the offset is pretty much the same. I imagine a few people might see fit to get rid of the spats!

Jonesy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has anyone by any chance measured stock gti rim weight?
I've not weighed one but they seem to be 11.0kg : Audi VW Original Felge 1S0 601 025 BN - VW Alufelge schwarz glanzgedreht

Weights of some other wheels I've seen used:-

Sparco Pro Corsa (17") = 10.2kg
g60 steel wheel (15") = 9.8kg
Sparco Assetto Gara (17") = 9.7kg
Alcar SF8950 steel wheel (15") 9.4kg
OZ Superturismo (17") = 9.4kg
OZ Ultraleggera (17")= 6.9kg
OZ Ultraleggera (16")= 6.5kg
OZ Alleggerita HLT (17") = 6.3kg
OZ Alleggerita HLT (16") = 6.2kg

Bit suprised by how heavy the Sparco wheels are and OZ proving that you get what you pay for.

I'm keen to change the tyres on my car, just trying to work out if I'll change the alloys at the same time. I've done this once before on a previous car and it impressed me with the difference it made (unsprung weight and all that). It would be hard to look past those Alleggeritas (hat tip to @Lasse). I'm just not sure I'm going to be using the car enough at the moment to justify the change - probs not :/

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
lndeed it could. l once bought an old Ferrari and it needed four new tyres. l looked online and they were only £60 a corner (being 20 years old they were nothing special in terms of tyre profile)
Great, l thought, but when l took it to the tyre fitters they said it had "TRX rims" which are identical to look at (to the normal rims) but were early run flats, and only one manufacturer still made them.

The cost for 4 tyres? £2,000

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been doing abit of window shopping at the moment as I havent got anything else to do, so I'll put these wheel weights here also:

Standard : 8.9kg??
Oz allegerita HLT: 5.9kg
Ronal R54: 9.7kg
Borbet LV4: 9.5kg
Cades Eros: 8.7kg
Japan racing jr3: 7.7kg
Rota grids: 7.3kg
Konig Lockout: 8.06kg
(N.B. All weights are for 16x7 or 7.5 where ET is 35 and doesn't include the weight of the tyre)

All found from arguably too long spent trawling Google and other car forums o_O

Also been using about 9kg for a 17" tyre and 8kg for a 16" for my sums, but have no idea whether this is actually accurate?

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Interesting - Can you remember where you got 8.9kg from for the weight of the standard alloy?
There's another thread where a couple of people have weighed their wheels:

I then Googled how much a 17" tyre weighs which was about 9kg (between 8.6 and 9.4 apparently). This isn't perfect obvious but gives me an idea without having to take the wheel and tyre off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had both Polygons & obviously Oswalds - Polygons are a different offset & catch the front caliper on the GTI so I sold them

1 - 18 of 18 Posts