Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Gti generates far more noise from the rear than our High Up.

Not wanting to faff about with cut and stick patches would something like this under the flimsy wooden spare wheel cover and cut to shape be effective?

Or... any other suggested products for a one piece solution?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Anything in the boot, such as a spare wheel, will reduce road noise to some degree (if it's road noise at issue here). How much? Impossible to say, it'll need experimentation.

I have a full size steel wheel under the carpet in the boot, and honestly I cannot hear any road noise from that area at all. Most noise seem to be from the area of all the wheel arches, wind noise, and engine noise through the bulk head. But it's a fairly quiet car (albeit not a GTi in my case! :( )

·
Registered
237 Posts
When I had my car I noticed a bit of noise from the back. Mine had the Beats subwoofer, which i couldn’t work out whether it actually did anything or not, anyway that meant that the jack and wheel brace sat in the false boot gap... the wheel brace tapped on the jack so removed it wrapped it in micro fibre cloths and put it down the side of the subwoofer.

I thought the false boot floor being made of very low density material acted as a sounding board I assume they used that for weight reduction and so whatever came out of the subwoofer was audible. The false boot floor is so light it almost rattles.

One way to test insulating that area would be to stuff a woollen blanket or some old coats in the boot temporarily and go for a drive. Maybe even try removing the false floor to see if it’s adding to the noise not shielding it.

If you don’t have the subwoofer applying that sound deadening stuff the the back of the false boot floor panel might help add mass to it.

If I ever have another up! GTi I won’t have the Beats setup if I can avoid it, I’d rather have a spare wheel or the space to use if necessary.

The up! has minimal sound deadening relying on deign, quality of materials and assembly to a large extent to mitigate the need... keeps the weight down. I also believe the masses of gunk applied to the bottom of the car has a dual purpose providing both surface protection and sound/anti drumming to the floor area, there’s not that much in the rear arches and that’s why it gets noisier when the car is driven in the wet as there’s no insulation on the inside in the car.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The UP Gti is what it is, it's been built with a budget in mind. You need to look past the insulation noises and other small niggles. If you want a car that's very quiet and well insulated then maybe you need to look at a Golf Gti instead, but that comes at a price. That's where the Up comes into it's own, see it for what it is nothing else. It's a cracking driver's car on a budget, yes a budget..

·
Registered
594 Posts
The UP Gti is what it is, it's been built with a budget in mind. You need to look past the insulation noises and other small niggles. If you want a car that's very quiet and well insulated then maybe you need to look at a Golf Gti instead, but that comes at a price. That's where the Up comes into it's own, see it for what it is nothing else. It's a cracking driver's car on a budget, yes a budget..
Exactly.
I’ve had my gti for 25 months and haven’t felt the need to change anything at all , light bulbs , under bonnet noise insulation ? Lol , re map, tyres, wind deflectors , Quife lsd, exhaust , rear disc conversion lol ect ect .
It’s a budget car and all the better for it .

Reactions: Jacara

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'd have to agree. The only thing I've changed on mine in 18 months is the headlight bulbs, as I found them poor last winter when I had a 90+ year old Uncle in hospital and was doing a lot of night driving. Haven't had anything else wrong with the car whatsoever. At half the price of a new base Golf Gti, it's the best value for money warm hatch on the road, bar none !

·
Registered
217 Posts
Exactly.
I’ve had my gti for 25 months and haven’t felt the need to change anything at all , light bulbs , under bonnet noise insulation ? Lol , re map, tyres, wind deflectors , Quife lsd, exhaust , rear disc conversion lol ect ect .
It’s a budget car and all the better for it .
I absolutely agree with Sean, and also with the previous post.

I fully understand that some people like to modify their cars for all sorts of reasons, but there does seem to be a common theme here.

18 months ago, there was barely a single negative comment from any owners on the forum, but now the complaints are starting to dominate, with the majority of comments along the lines of ...

Not fast enough / doesn’t rev as eagerly as I would like it to ... (Needs a remap).
Rubbish suspension (Needs some coil-overs).
Needs a winter wheel and tyre combo, or the standard wheels are too big.
Seats are rubbish, they should have put some decent ones in.
The factory-fit tyres are rubbish, it needs some oversize PS4’s
Headlights are rubbish, it needs some LED’s.
It needs the traction control turning off, it really spoils the car.
It needs a different exhaust because people can’t hear it when I drive past, and so they might not notice me.
The heater’s rubbish - It takes ages to demist in the morning.
The window switches don’t illuminate and so I’m going to have to change them for some that do.

And now, there’s too much noise from the rear !

Perhaps for many it’s the old “Familiarity breeds contempt” setting in ?

At the end of the day, it’s a little tin-box city car with quirky looks and a fun, zippy engine which provides plenty of smiles and a light-hearted feel-good factor. It’s never going to be anything else, but then again, it doesn’t want to be !

Perhaps some people are starting to realise that they just bought the wrong car ?

·
Registered
594 Posts

I fully understand that some people like to modify their cars for all sorts of reasons, but there does seem to be a common theme here.

18 months ago, there was barely a single negative comment from any owners on the forum, but now the complaints are starting to dominate.

There seems to be a common theme with complaints and comments along the lines of ...

Not fast enough / doesn’t rev as eagerly as I would like it to ... (Needs a remap).
It needs a different exhaust because people can’t hear it when I drive past, and so they might not notice me.
The window switches don’t illuminate and so I’m going to have to change them for some that do.

At the end of the day, it’s a little tin-box city car with quirky looks and a fun, zippy engine which provides plenty of smiles and a light-hearted feel-good factor. It’s never going to be anything else, but then again, it doesn’t want to be !

Perhaps some people are starting to realise that they just bought the wrong car ?
Totally agree again .
People even want to turn the sound actuator thing off to make it sound as interesting as a sewing machine lol !
I also find the petty concerns highly amusing such as condensation being emitted from the exhaust on a cold winters day PMSL !
What next ? Brake dust on the front wheels ? Lol!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Exactly this. This car would be half a tonne heavier if it was built like, and had all the luxuries of, a Golf.

·
Registered
38 Posts
To be fair the windscreen wipers ARE crap.

As for the Soundaktor, totally stupid piece of kit and I took it out first week.

Apart from that, totally agree with you, this little car is fine as it is.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
l can't say l had a problem with the windscreen wipers being "crap" on our GTi, they worked very well and didn't squeak at all.
As for noise from the boot, again l
never noticed anything in our five door, in fact l was impressed with how quiet it was at motorway speeds.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Let's start with my own personal opinion the car is pretty much bang on from factory! But the previous posts mocking anyone for changing tyres,bulbs or doing anything they like with their own car.... Or claiming it's boredom or such like I don't really think it's necessary I've done several things to our car not because it was lacking in anyway more a case of the car getting really under my skin and bringing out my inner petrol head mentality! The car was a ridiculous bargain and is massively refined for a budget city car and I would be more than happy to own it as it left the factory for at least a decade 😻 people need to realise we are all different I don't feel the need to b critical of people wanting a totally standard car but not everything is about slamming it to the ground and driving it like you stole it🙈 it's a great package but to act like changing the tyres mainly for rim protection is a cardinal sin or some 50p standard fit wipers aren't any worse than some Bosch ones come on.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I completely agree, and fully understand that many like to make changes and put their own personal stamp on their pride and joy, and I think that makes it even more of an enthusiast‘s car. My point, and I think that of others is how recently, what was being posted by all as being the “most perfect car” is in danger of becoming the “most complained about car” by the very same people !

·
Registered
440 Posts
That's why I asked if the OP was referring to general road noise or the dreaded suspension banging because I've had neither but with it being a forum people will ask questions or complain about somethings they aren't happy with. If people are happy we tend to keep that to ourselves it's how us humans work personally I could come on here most days and say how much I love the car how you shouldn't be able to get this much quality for the money and I smile not only everytime I drive it but everytime I look back at the cool little thing after parking it Up! Is it perfect? probably not but to me it's as close to car perfection as you will ever get these days without spending possibly twice as much

·
Registered
11 Posts

18 months ago, there was barely a single negative comment from any owners on the forum, but now the complaints are starting to dominate, with the majority of comments along the lines of ...

The factory-fit tyres are rubbish, it needs some oversize PS4’s

Do think for a lot of people, including myself, we’ve come from bigger, more luxurious cars and the budget feel in places can come as a shock/surprise/something’s wrong to begin with until you ‘get’ the car.

However, I do get the feeling that some people are looking for absolute perfection from a £14k car. You don’t fall in love with perfect, clinical cars hence why so many have ‘downgraded’ to the GTI and never looked back.

·
Registered
440 Posts
My other car is a Clio 182 cup I've had it from new and the Up feels like a Rolls Royce compared to that but equally I still love that car for different reasons...

I will agree that I often think people possibly must be coming from bigger leased cars many categories above an up which are much more polished but would equally bore me to death I've driven a vast array of cars from Porsches to 7 series BMW's and a series of hot hatches I've owned personally. The Up GTI is one of the best cars I've ever driven pound for pound.

Fun over dull and polished everytime for me you can keep your soft touch plastics I'm only touching that lovely steering wheel when I drive 😎

·
Registered
237 Posts
The Up GTI is one of the best cars I've ever driven pound for pound.

Fun over dull and polished everytime for me you can keep your soft touch plastics I'm only touching that lovely steering wheel when I drive 😎
Indeed, it is the best small car I’ve driven.

An Abarth 595 for instance may be quicker but is considerably more money for which you get a much poorer quality car using a design little changed from 2007 based on a Panda platform from 2003 so you get a cacophony of rattles.

Without employing any brand snobbery the VW is just better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Some of the comment here is misdirected. The OP isn't criticising the Up as such, they're remarking on the difference between their High Up and the GTI.

OP: the GTI will produce more road noise into the boot area because of its lower profile wider tyres and its firmer suspension. Structure borne NVH in particular will be increased. That's to be expected.

First, it helps a little if you keep the parcel shelf in place. Second, anything soft and muffling you put on the boot floor also helps a little. Try driving it with an old duvet lining the boot floor and up the arches a bit. If you have some old rags, arrange them inside and around the spare wheel.

If you don't generally make much use of the boot, you could unclip the strings that attach the tailgate to the parcel shelf and then lay blankets on top of the parcel shelf, neatly pushing them to the edges and tucking them into the gaps at the front and rear. That will definitely help.

You could also buy some self adhesive automotive carpet and line the exposed metal of the wheel arches, but it's a bit fiddly to do well.

Doing much more than that is probably not worthwhile in a car with as much exposed metalwork as an Up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've stripped several new cars down to the metal to soundproof them properly in the past, but I wouldn't bother in an Up. Just stuff some blankets or rags or old carpet underlay where you can and get back out on the road :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts