Up Owners Club banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Registered
Yes it has gone off topic a bit... I would like to add that although I've not got any issues with regard to rear road noise or suspension I was asking for more information because I appreciate some people can have issues that aren't the norm and I'm always keen to help a fellow GTi owner 馃憤

Registered
Agreed - the interesting things are sounds that shouldn't be there, and any mechanical oddities that crop up.
Up and variants are well-made, reasonably quiet and should have no weird rattles and squeaks (if they do, that's an anomaly and there's probably a reason, which can be sorted out). You have to spend serious money to get near-silence, and that often brings other costly issues, no matter what brand you buy.

Registered
try putting an old army blanket in there first to see if it makes any difference

Registered
Our Gti generates far more noise from the rear than our High Up.

Not wanting to faff about with cut and stick patches would something like this under the flimsy wooden spare wheel cover and cut to shape be effective?

Or... any other suggested products for a one piece solution?
I got Milltek Non-Res fitted and I far prefer the sound apart from 65 on the motorway which unfortunately is the speed I usually sit at on the motorway 馃槀 Anyway I fitted foam insulation (peanuts on ebay from china) under the backseat and in the boot and the sound at 65 is good enough for me now, downloaded a free decibel app and done a before and after reading and was quite a difference. Took about 30 minutes and the foam come in rectangles about 18" by 12" but it actually makes the job far easier as its self adhesive and far less likely to make mistakes using smaller pieces as you only get one chance of it sticking to the metalwork, when you remove the backseat you will break the two clips (White bits) which are a couple of pounds to replace but better having them ready though the seats will go back in position without them until they are replaced..

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks for your replies folks - even the tangential ones were interesting.

The noises were a pronounced knock from the rear right of the car when going over a depressed manhole or transverse ridge in the road and some minor noise from 'somewhere back there'.

Dealer has confirmed the knocking noise and tracked it down to the fuel filler pipe in the RH wing knocking on the bodywork.

This has been stopped using foam packing. Hooray!

There are some residual noises coming from the rear bumper probably due to the Micky Mouse way that the bumper skin attaches to the bumper proper. The skin is very loose/floppy and tapping it slightly in the number plate area reveals some noise.

Two other Gti's on site were the same.

I can live with the (minor) noise for now although the dealer has offered to remove the skin, pack it with foam, and replace which I will take them up on when I get a moment. Cranking up the sound system with some banging EDM sorts the problem anyway.

In the meantime the car is now run in and is a hoot to drive.

Registered
Good job you've done there.
You can see in the second picture at the top of the spare wheel well I was running run out of insulation and had to start using all the off cuts so it looks a bit like a patchwork quilt but just had enough to finish the job.

Registered
The UP Gti is what it is, it's been built with a budget in mind. You need to look past the insulation noises and other small niggles. If you want a car that's very quiet and well insulated then maybe you need to look at a Golf Gti instead, but that comes at a price. That's where the Up comes into it's own, see it for what it is nothing else. It's a cracking driver's car on a budget, yes a budget..
perfectly put

21 - 28 of 28 Posts