Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi,
I'm not expecting a huge amount of people to have these fitted yet, given the lack of cars coming through from vw!

Whats peoples thoughts on the available options for coilover kits on the GTI?

I've been looking into a few different makes, as want to be able to get the ride height spot on, while not compromising the ride quality and also want something that will last and not fall to bits two years down the line.

I have experience of using coilovers before on my old cars but want to see what folks preference is at the moment, as things have moved on since my last set.

1. KW - Variant 1
2. H & R
3. KW - ST Suspension ST X
4. Eibach Pro Street
5. AP

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
eiback pro street coilovers are very good. very good value for money too. these modern day coilovers have evovled quite a bit and arent just harsh for lowering purposes but very comfy too!

few years back it would be cheaper to buy performance shock and springs separately for performance handling without having to sacrifice comfort. but the eibach pro coilovers have nailed it imo. cheaper than going buying individual shocks and springs. its height djustable too so win win.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
eiback pro street coilovers are very good. very good value for money too. these modern day coilovers have evovled quite a bit and arent just harsh for lowering purposes but very comfy too!

few years back it would be cheaper to buy performance shock and springs separately for performance handling without having to sacrifice comfort. but the eibach pro coilovers have nailed it imo. cheaper than going buying individual shocks and springs. its height djustable too so win win.
Out of them all i must say i was initially drawn towards the H&R's but seems to be mixed reviews online.

I'm swaying towards the KW-V1's or ST's at moment but cant see any pricing or information on the Eibach pro streets specifically for the GTI? Its always better to see and hear of reviews first hand. :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It will be interesting to see how fitting lowered springs affects the Up GTi both in handling and looks.

I have a Clio 182 on Eibach springs and the ride quality is no worse than the standard springs.
The car looks better and handles better too, it’s also had a full geometry setup, if you lower a car you really need to get the geometry done as well.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
It will be interesting to see how fitting lowered springs affects the Up GTi both in handling and looks.

I have a Clio 182 on Eibach springs and the ride quality is no worse than the standard springs.
The car looks better and handles better too, it’s also had a full geometry setup, if you lower a car you really need to get the geometry done as well.
Check my "living with a GTI" thread for evidence.

But in summary the standard "sports" (they're not) dampers can't cope with lowering springs but the handling is so much better it's ridiculous. Switching to Bilstein dampers has made it massively better in terms of ride comfort and handling.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

are you using stock shocks? are they worn or old? even refreshing for OEM ridde will be mjuch better but for full potential benefiits from the uprted springs, you need to replace the shocks too to match

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a set of Eibach Pro Streets going on 30 August, going to keep the stock wheels on for a week or so to see how they compare before switching to the lighter 16s

All the Eibach stuff is as the normal up just being TUVd for GTI, coilover certification is iminate

The Coilers are made by KW for them but springs are very different to V1s

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a set of Eibach Pro Streets going on 30 August, going to keep the stock wheels on for a week or so to see how they compare before switching to the lighter 16s

All the Eibach stuff is as the normal up just being TUVd for GTI, coilover certification is iminate

The Coilers are made by KW for them but springs are very different to V1s
Thanks.

Will welcome the feedback when on the stock wheels, as not sure i'm going to change them.
Do you have a link where you bought the Eibachs?

Interesting, I didn't know that KW supplied the coilovers to Eibach........Are the springs more progressive or just softer than those that come standard in the V1's?

On the fitting front; i hear the rear is a bit of a pita to get into the top mounts and need to remove trim, seats etc.... this cant be the case is it?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have eibach pro street coil overs on my soon to be scrapped car and they’re very very good. I’ve done ar least 120k miles on them and the still perform brilliantly unlike the standard suspension that gave up after 60k miles ( dampers gave up) so highly recommend them . Stainless steel struts still clean up as good as new and the springs still look good with no loss of damping that I can feel and of course no issues in their life. They’ve had hard use on all sorts of tracks and covered hundreds and hundreds of laps around the Nurburgring naturally.
So I’d say these are worth a look.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got mine direct from Eibach, totally different design to KWs

We see how much cursing my installer does next week
Nice! They look the part.
Did you just contact them direct?

Look forward to your feedback.

Cheers

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have dealt with them directly for years due to contacts within the tuning industry.

Not the cheapest option put for me I like to spend money on suspension, I will probably drop the car about 25mm, nothing too silly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi guys, what do you think of a set of Bilstein B12 coilovers (Bilstein B8 monotube shocks + Eibach springs pro kit) ?
Here in Belgium I need a GOCA approved set to be able to pass the technical control.
I also have the Bilstein B14 solution which they are threaded dampers with height adjustments.

What do you think ?

Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have dealt with them directly for years due to contacts within the tuning industry.

Not the cheapest option put for me I like to spend money on suspension, I will probably drop the car about 25mm, nothing too silly.
Looking forward to some pictures if you can be bothered and your opinion on the ride quality. :cool:

What was the install like, easy enough to get in about taking scuttle panel off at front and anything needed taken out/apart at the rear?

·
Registered
453 Posts
So car was lowered today by AKS Tuning with the Eibach Pro Street S coilovers, they are made by KW but have a very different sprint set up. The drop is 30mm to 60mm which for the GTI is 20mm to 50mm over the stock GTI. Mine is set around 25mm but may be fettled when settled.

I have always been a big fan of Bilstein Coilers and their B16 kit but nothing for the GTI, also ran KW V1s in the past.

Decision to go Eibach was due to the fact their springs have always ended up on my cars, I tested their Revo springs on my Mk7 and also dealt with them on the M2 in order to improve the ride.

Originally it was going to be a spring drop, if I had gone down this route I would have gone B12 and changed the dampers. Speaking with Eibach the decision was made to go coilovers based on I am loving the GTI and plan on doing some track days and sprinting in it and wanted it to be sharper but usable everyday.

I have only done 50 miles and will give some further thoughts but have managed to take it out on some interesting roads which I drive a lot, the obvious is it is lower, has less roll and turn in is sharper and I feel you can put the power on earlier (but still can light up the esp coming out of a slow tight corner), there is less pitching under acceleration and braking so it feels more neutral. It is firmer but not crashy but you do get a bit more feedback through the wheel (something I like).

They are an investment but for me suspension is something where I have spent the money.

So far it has been over plenty of speed humps and some woeful roads and my road is currently not got its top coat

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
Looking forward to some pictures if you can be bothered and your opinion on the ride quality. :cool:

What was the install like, easy enough to get in about taking scuttle panel off at front and anything needed taken out/apart at the rear?
I was busy driving it, not sure how complicated it was as an install no moans from AKS

·
Registered
110 Posts
So car was lowered today by AKS Tuning with the Eibach Pro Street S coilovers, they are made by KW but have a very different sprint set up. The drop is 30mm to 60mm which for the GTI is 20mm to 50mm over the stock GTI. Mine is set around 25mm but may be fettled when settled.

I have always been a big fan of Bilstein Coilers and their B16 kit but nothing for the GTI, also ran KW V1s in the past.

Decision to go Eibach was due to the fact their springs have always ended up on my cars, I tested their Revo springs on my Mk7 and also dealt with them on the M2 in order to improve the ride.

Originally it was going to be a spring drop, if I had gone down this route I would have gone B12 and changed the dampers. Speaking with Eibach the decision was made to go coilovers based on I am loving the GTI and plan on doing some track days and sprinting in it and wanted it to be sharper but usable everyday.

I have only done 50 miles and will give some further thoughts but have managed to take it out on some interesting roads which I drive a lot, the obvious is it is lower, has less roll and turn in is sharper and I feel you can put the power on earlier (but still can light up the esp coming out of a slow tight corner), there is less pitching under acceleration and braking so it feels more neutral. It is firmer but not crashy but you do get a bit more feedback through the wheel (something I like).

They are an investment but for me suspension is something where I have spent the money.

So far it has been over plenty of speed humps and some woeful roads and my road is currently not got its top coat

like i've already said on the FB page, best mod you can do on the GTi is change the springs and or the shocks, could you PM the price you paid for the kit please

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Looking well mate. :cool:
The drop is almost about right for me, id probably go a fraction further down but not much more, so its still usable and the wife will also be driving it from time to time so nothing silly.
As you say once yours settle it might well be just right. :)

Turn is being sharper and more neutral through the corners will make all the difference.

When you say firmer, i take it its far from being a bone shaker? That in itself would be worth the extra cost of the Eibachs over the others.

cheers.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

aha nice one, really looks well seated at that height.

i have the same school of thought, i spend the money on suspension too, completely transforms the drive.

regarding the steering, i also replaced the tie rod ends for uprated MAPCO tie rod ends. these were a lot harder and firmer than the original VW ones. also the joint boot is a plastic boot so its much better and longer wearing to the original rubber VW ones... whilst i was at it, also replaced for MAPCO droplinks. again slighly firmer. sharpened up the steering input. also stiffens the front end slightly without having to go poly bushes. much more responsive in a good way. also very comfortable still for road use. especially in Bristol which is like pothole galore!!

1 - 20 of 126 Posts