Up Owners Club banner
121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
B14's don't interest me as a friend had them and said the ride wasn't great. The Eibachs get great reviews and seem to be the plushest of the coilovers so for me it's between them and the the b12 pro kit if I do anything at all suspension wise

·
Banned
645 Posts
The plushest system, are the KWs.
The tubing is high quality stainless steel, so corrosion will be less of an issue, and their possibly the highest quality for the Gti,

That quality is reflected in their high price of close to £700 or even more.

I've no knowledge of how good or bad the Eibach kit is, but whatever you install, it will be of higher quality than the stock factory equipment.

The factory equipment looks cheap, and looks budget in nature.

I went for the Bilsteins, simply on price, and knowing the repeputation of Bilstein.

The two names that FOR ME represent quality are Koni and Bilstein.

The KWs are superb, but I was not prepared to spend that much, the money went on the OZ wheels.

For me, the Bilsteins for £399 delivered were the way to go, and the quality is more than sufficient.

At that price, I would have been daft not to buy them, and I was half expecting Demon Tweeks to say the price was a printing error, but I was releaved when they told me that was their current price last September

·
Registered
600 Posts
The Eibach's are KW V1's basically with some magic springs or so I'm led to believe. Same stainless steel bodies and have made by KW on them

·
Registered
15 Posts
So car was lowered today by AKS Tuning with the Eibach Pro Street S coilovers, they are made by KW but have a very different sprint set up. The drop is 30mm to 60mm which for the GTI is 20mm to 50mm over the stock GTI. Mine is set around 25mm but may be fettled when settled.

I have always been a big fan of Bilstein Coilers and their B16 kit but nothing for the GTI, also ran KW V1s in the past.

Decision to go Eibach was due to the fact their springs have always ended up on my cars, I tested their Revo springs on my Mk7 and also dealt with them on the M2 in order to improve the ride.

Originally it was going to be a spring drop, if I had gone down this route I would have gone B12 and changed the dampers. Speaking with Eibach the decision was made to go coilovers based on I am loving the GTI and plan on doing some track days and sprinting in it and wanted it to be sharper but usable everyday.

I have only done 50 miles and will give some further thoughts but have managed to take it out on some interesting roads which I drive a lot, the obvious is it is lower, has less roll and turn in is sharper and I feel you can put the power on earlier (but still can light up the esp coming out of a slow tight corner), there is less pitching under acceleration and braking so it feels more neutral. It is firmer but not crashy but you do get a bit more feedback through the wheel (something I like).

They are an investment but for me suspension is something where I have spent the money.

So far it has been over plenty of speed humps and some woeful roads and my road is currently not got its top coat
Did you have alignment check after installing coilovers? If so, did it need adjustment?
Also, does it need alignment adjust everytime you mess with the height adjust?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ideally you should get the alignment check done but its not necessarily essential. I keep fiddling with my ride height so have still not had mine done till I finally settle on a permanent height but am keeping an eye on the tyres to check for any uneven wear or issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ideally you should get the alignment check done but its not necessarily essential. I keep fiddling with my ride height so have still not had mine done till I finally settle on a permanent height but am keeping an eye on the tyres to check for any uneven wear or issues.
Thanks dude.

·
Registered
600 Posts
These arrived today won't be getting fitted until the new year but they have a slightly different product code and supposedly are GTi specific 😎
IMG_20201210_183506134.jpg

·
Registered
600 Posts
On closer inspection I can see the spring rate is higher on the front of the GTi specific version compared to the kit for all other Up's.

50nm as apposed to 30nm that's from googling the ERS spring numbers from both products

·
Registered
36 Posts
I will have a set of Eibach Pro Street S (PSS65-85-040-01-22) available for sale next week if anyone is looking for some great quality coilovers. Have been on the car for about 1000 miles usage only.

·
Registered
312 Posts
On closer inspection I can see the spring rate is higher on the front of the GTi specific version compared to the kit for all other Up's.

50nm as apposed to 30nm that's from googling the ERS spring numbers from both products
Hi Mark, just following up on this. I have the non-GTI kit just arrived from Autodoc, and the main front springs are "ERS-H-170-60-0040" which is a 40N/mm spring rate. Do you still have the part number for the GTI version of that spring ? And was that the only difference you're aware of ?

(Front tender/helper spring on non-GTI version is ERS-N-080-60-0010, rear springs are 67 85 040 01 HA, in case that's useful to anyone.)

Many thanks :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
It's literally only those main springs you need and I don't think they are too expensive but like I've said before if you're running smaller/lighter wheels and tyres they will probably be fine as they are 👍

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks. So the GTI main spring part no. ends 0050 which means it is 50N/mm.

The non-GTI ones end 0040 and are definitely 40N/mm according to the Eibach catalogue. That last screenshot with the jegs.com listing quoting 30N/mm is wrong.

I'm going to try to get the right ones I think. I think the issue with the softer spring is the lower load limit before total compression rather than control of the wheel. The GTI nose is quite a bit heavier than the non-GTI one, independent of wheel choice :(

·
Registered
600 Posts
Ok I was just going off what I found online but obviously if you have a catalogue then that will be correct 👍

121 - 138 of 138 Posts