Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I saw this on Instagram and caught my eye for all the right reasons.

I particularly like the arm rest part. I tried contacting the individual to no avail. I don’t suppose anyone would know where and how to go about getting something similar to this?

·
Registered
208 Posts

View attachment 7048
I particularly like the arm rest part. I tried contacting the individual to no avail. I don’t suppose anyone would know where and how to go about getting something similar to this?
what is the users name, thats amazing

·
Registered
323 Posts
Whoever was responsible for the trimming of the door panels shown in the picture has laid all 3 with the pattern in the wrong orientation !
👍 Yes, my inner pedant says the armrest panel stripes don’t line up with the lower rear panel and the front panel is upside down.

A really great additional detail idea ruined by a lack of eye for detail. Needs to look as if it’s all cut from the same piece of cloth, opposite door would need to be mirror image etc etc.

Not sure I’d do that to a car I owned, the door panels as standard do look a bit plain and plasticky but once I’m in the car and driving I don’t look at or notice them until I’ve stopped driving and open the door to get out again. They are typically Germanic in design, simple, basic, easy to clean/keep clean and functional.

Now… if someone were able to perfectly replicate the standard panel in proper lightweight carbon fibre then I might be interested but even then the standard original is still the best option.

edit: Although these additional door addons don’t go as far, in the past I’ve seen what I’d call ‘tartan overload’ where visually it’s just too much, there’s a fine line, a bit like this Sun newspaper pic of Daniella Westbrook displaying Burberry overload.

Credit: BIGPICTURESPHOTO.COM

·
Registered
323 Posts

View attachment 7048
The fabric and pattern is readily available and easy to find, any place that does car trimming would be able to replicate and hopefully improve on the detail (as mentioned above) when shown the picture.

Search on eBay using strings like ‘GTi tartan’ or ‘vw tartan’ or similar and you’ll find all sorts of stuff made from it like cushions etc and the fabric Manufacture Automotive Fabric VW GTI Red. Per Linear Metre. | eBay there are quite a few different permutations available and I’m sure I’ve seen it as both straight fabric and the seemingly more readily available foam backed or scrimmed version.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The fabric and pattern is readily available and easy to find, any place that does car trimming would be able to replicate and hopefully improve on the detail (as mentioned above) when shown the picture.

Search on eBay using strings like ‘GTi tartan’ or ‘clark tartan’ or similar and you’ll find all sorts of stuff made from it like cushions etc and the fabric Manufacture Automotive Fabric VW GTI Red. Per Linear Metre. | eBay there are quite a few different permutations available and I’m sure I’ve seen it as both straight fabric and the seemingly more readily available foam backed or scrimmed version.
Just did the EBay thing. All I got was gear lever gaiters all of which looked comical. 😂😂

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just did the EBay thing. All I got was gear lever gaiters all of which looked comical. 😂😂
Some of it does underline how VW nailed it so well straight out of the box.

With the Burberry thing in mind I’m a little surprised there isn’t more GTi tartan clothing on there to cater for all tastes to achieve that GTi overload situation. GTi socks I could understand but I’m sure given some imagination things like GTi tartan shirts, trousers, beach shorts or mini skirts for the ladies. All the kind or stuff that stands out in public but when you get into the car you disappear as you just blend into the interior like camo in the forest.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Interesting looking at his Instagram the tartan seems to have spread somewhat virus like to the boot and bonnet area! Surprised his house doesn’t have a tartan couch, carpet and curtains.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well I’m seriously tempted by some tartan pants . Just need to find the right Gti clan .

Reactions: The_ASH

·
Registered
323 Posts
And what is the family tartan of Laird the'Ash?
I haven’t the foggiest, been to lots of places around the world but don’t think I’ve ever been further north than Fleetwood on the west coast or Whitley Bay on the east coast in this country. Closest I have ever come to wearing tartan is sitting on up! GTi seats lol!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Interesting looking at his Instagram the tartan seems to have spread somewhat virus like to the boot and bonnet area! Surprised his house doesn’t have a tartan couch, carpet and curtains.
Certainly a bit OTT for my liking. The arm rests on the doors would be nice (front and rear), but that’s about it. I would like to implement this especially if I could have them cushioned!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts