Up Owners Club banner

GTI door/armrest upholstery

8K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  WIdnes GTi 
#1 ·
Hi all! I saw this on Instagram and caught my eye for all the right reasons.

I particularly like the arm rest part. I tried contacting the individual to no avail. I don’t suppose anyone would know where and how to go about getting something similar to this?

See less See more
#4 ·
what is the users name, thats amazing

#9 · (Edited)
Hi all! I saw this on Instagram and caught my eye for all the right reasons.

View attachment 7048
I particularly like the arm rest part. I tried contacting the individual to no avail. I don’t suppose anyone would know where and how to go about getting something similar to this?
The fabric and pattern is readily available and easy to find, any place that does car trimming would be able to replicate and hopefully improve on the detail (as mentioned above) when shown the picture.

Search on eBay using strings like ‘GTi tartan’ or ‘vw tartan’ or similar and you’ll find all sorts of stuff made from it like cushions etc and the fabric Manufacture Automotive Fabric VW GTI Red. Per Linear Metre. | eBay there are quite a few different permutations available and I’m sure I’ve seen it as both straight fabric and the seemingly more readily available foam backed or scrimmed version.

#10 ·
The fabric and pattern is readily available and easy to find, any place that does car trimming would be able to replicate and hopefully improve on the detail (as mentioned above) when shown the picture.

Search on eBay using strings like ‘GTi tartan’ or ‘clark tartan’ or similar and you’ll find all sorts of stuff made from it like cushions etc and the fabric Manufacture Automotive Fabric VW GTI Red. Per Linear Metre. | eBay there are quite a few different permutations available and I’m sure I’ve seen it as both straight fabric and the seemingly more readily available foam backed or scrimmed version.
Just did the EBay thing. All I got was gear lever gaiters all of which looked comical. 😂😂

#13 ·
Interesting looking at his Instagram the tartan seems to have spread somewhat virus like to the boot and bonnet area! Surprised his house doesn’t have a tartan couch, carpet and curtains.

Reactions: TomRZZ
#17 ·
I haven’t the foggiest, been to lots of places around the world but don’t think I’ve ever been further north than Fleetwood on the west coast or Whitley Bay on the east coast in this country. Closest I have ever come to wearing tartan is sitting on up! GTi seats lol!

#22 ·
Whether someone fancies tartan (for their clan, or oddly as used in German-designed GTi's) or leopard skin-look (to match their girlfriend's bra and panties), I can say I have re-covered a few items of furniture in my time, and whatever you buy, make sure it is super-heavy-duty "damask"-grade of material. If you get something flimsy - and that includes material for clothing - you'll wear through it in several months with elbows, hands etc., and it will stretch and look a mess. I suspect fitting is more of a pain than wearing the cost (no pun intended) of really high-grade material. Better off with good grade leather, so all you need are tartan cows :)

Reactions: The_ASH
#25 ·
I have seen a Smart Car covered in a Tiger print wrap on the outside of the whole car in the same way as some Buses and Taxis have the vehicles covered in an ad.
So what next for the UP GTI? The whole car covered in a Tartan wrap on the outside with the sound of bagpipes blaring from the radio!!
No Thanks. I will keep my car standard, but well done to those who like to experiment.

#33 ·
You’d have to fit it to a backing board, presumably trim the scrim foam back pull the then unfoamed fabric edge around the back of the board to fix using glue. Once finished the trimmed backing board would fit to the door using lugs like the door cards etc use. The arm rests would be harder and require a backing board that fits around shape of the existing unpadded arm rest/door card shape.

A proper car trimmer would know the best way to go about it and create a professional job with oem finish.

Watch some of those old American Hotrod shows, Gabe the trimmer they used did some epic work. He has his own YouTube channel it turns out

#34 ·
Or call the Chinese lady seen on the "Ass Monkey Show" aka Fast & Loud. In the UK, check Wheeler Dealers & Car SOS, who I think may credit suppliers at the end credits...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.