Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the chance to buy a GTi engine and gearbox (no ECU or clocks though) and just wondered if an install in a 75hp Up would be a realistic project.

Has anyone attempted this? Had a quick search but couldn't find any information. I'm fairly sure the engine and gearbox will physically fit depending on the bulkhead being the same. I'm expecting the problems to be with the wiring and whether the existing ecu and clocks can be made to work.

Maybe its a non starter (no pun intended) but would be interested to hear your ideas or from anyone who has actually done it. Thanks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
OK..............as I understand it, the GTi has the same engine, similar turbo and a different map.
A re-map would get you 90+% of the way without the grief. I sure the mappers will be along in a minute to advise.....

Good luck !

·
Registered
89 Posts
OK..............as I understand it, the GTi has the same engine, similar turbo and a different map.
A re-map would get you 90+% of the way without the grief. I sure the mappers will be along in a minute to advise.....

Good luck !
Bear in mind Mike, the 75hp version of the up is naturally aspirated, therefore a lot more work than just a map would be needed for the less-grief option. Then again, rather a bit of work both ways.

I think the gearbox may be a different shape as it is 6 gears, but my knowledge of gearboxes goes as far as the wall in front of me.

Other than that, the exhaust route may also be different as it's got to go elsewhere up top due to the turbo, but the rest should probably be the same, why would VW change it?? (jinx)

When it boils down to it, the up GTI is an up! on the same 2012 chassis, which looks a bit more handsome and of course has the different power. That being said, I'd imagine mounting the engine can't be that different to the 75hp CHYB engine currently in the car.

Will you kick yourself for not trying? Would be a pretty cool weapon to pull out in my book o_Oo_Oo_O

·
Registered
313 Posts
The nuts and bolts of installing the engine and gearbox will be the easy bit.
However.
Without the ecu and associated wiring loom it will literally, be a non starter.
I'd probably want the dash and it's wiring loom as well.
You may hit issues with the interface between the engine ecu and body control module/ecu as well, who knows!
Anything's possible though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The nuts and bolts of installing the engine and gearbox will be the easy bit.
However.
Without the ecu and associated wiring loom it will literally, be a non starter.
I'd probably want the dash and it's wiring loom as well.
You may hit issues with the interface between the engine ecu and body control module/ecu as well, who knows!
Anything's possible though.
Yep, that's exactly the way I see it too. Will have to do some more research me thinks.

Unfortunately the ECU and clocks are not available so will have to source elsewhere. Ideally a completish accident damaged GTi is needed I think.

Thanks for the replies gents.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My bad, sorry, it was of course a 75ps car not a turbo 90ps. Agree a transplant is a non starter but a re-map, even on a 75ps car would improve performance if thats your goal.........

·
Registered
3 Posts
The blokes around here that swap the (r)20turbo for the rs 5 cilinder engines think it isn't very hard if you have the engine loom and ecu with it. Wouldn't a 90ps loom and ecu (and dash)do the trick? I personality don't mind leaving my 2012 dash in. If it works like normal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My bad, sorry, it was of course a 75ps car not a turbo 90ps. Agree a transplant is a non starter but a re-map, even on a 75ps car would improve performance if thats your goal.........
There is not a lot of improvement to be had on the naturally aspirated 75PS engine without significant hardware changes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The facelift car has an extended front bumper. I don't know if this was to fit the tsi engine. If you have a pre-facelift car, this might be a factor.
Will have to check that. Might be for radiator and intercooler clearance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The blokes around here that swap the (r)20turbo for the rs 5 cilinder engines think it isn't very hard if you have the engine loom and ecu with it. Wouldn't a 90ps loom and ecu (and dash)do the trick? I personality don't mind leaving my 2012 dash in. If it works like normal.
Would like to keep it looking standard too, might even change to a Citigo for an even stealthier look. A 90ps engine might be an idea but aren't the GTi blocks uprated?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Would like to keep it looking standard too, might even change to a Citigo for an even stealthier look. A 90ps engine might be an idea but aren't the GTi blocks uprated?
I've never seen anything definitive on this. They have different engine numbers but my take is the differences are likely to be limited to;
Ecu software
Injectors (maybe)
Intercooler
But you shouldn't trust some random bloke on the internet :)
It's very easy to get 130PS out of the TSI and with a little more money/effort 140+

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The gti engine is a totally different unit to the rest of the range so you will need EVERYTHING. Turbo, intercoolers, ecu (it's a newer type), gearbox, manifold, exhaust, loom etc etc.....

In all honesty by the time you've invested in all that i would have just got an older tfsi or 20v turbo and got more power for less hassle and money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts