Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I had occasion to press the horn yesterday in my new Gti and was quite shocked to hear how pathetic it was. The Tsi I just px'd had a decent horn so I was wondering if the Gti for some reason has a tiny horn or is something wrong somewhere. Literally nothing worse than a tiny horn.

Reactions: gregthomas

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Nothing wrong with mine. used it the other day and it's exactly the same as the Mrs' Tsi. Very loud....

Reactions: SeventeenUP

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing wrong with mine. used it the other day and it's exactly the same as the Mrs' Tsi. Very loud....
I fully expected it be the same as the Tsi which is certainly no cause for complaint.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if they've changed it ours sounds way more butch than the one on my Clio 182!
I hope not or I can see an aftermarket one in the very near future.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi everyone,
I had occasion to press the horn yesterday in my new Gti and was quite shocked to hear how pathetic it was. The Tsi I just px'd had a decent horn so I was wondering if the Gti for some reason has a tiny horn or is something wrong somewhere. Literally nothing worse than a tiny horn.
They changed from twin horn to single horn around end of 68/69 & just left the high tone,the twin bracket is still in place in case you want to add the low tone.Had to fit one to the wife’s 20 plate.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They changed from twin horn to single horn around end of 68/69 & just left the high tone,the twin bracket is still in place in case you want to add the low tone.Had to fit one to the wife’s 20 plate.
Ah, ok thank you. That would explain it then as it is just a high tone. (y)

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
254 Posts
There are two types of horn in general use. I am not talking about the UP GTI i am talking about all cars. It is hard to describe and i hope you do not think i am being silly but i call them either a beep or a barp. The barp usually has two horns that sound together and are louder. Hope you get what i mean.

When i had my Fiat i thought being Italian it would have a loud barp horn but it only had a beep horn the same as the UP GTI.

In the 70s i had musical air horns on my cars, or just twin air horns. I would fit twin air horns on my UP GTI but im not sure if there is room to fit them. There are other horns available not air horns called Fanfare horns but i do find i hardly ever have to use the horn these days anyway.

Update. I have just seen the latest posts, so i see its low tone or high tone beep or barp. I guess you could fit the extra horn then if the bracket is still there and the horn is available from VW parts dept.

·
Registered
480 Posts
With the lane assist that nobody wants came a big price rise so you would have thought they could afford to leave the horn alone!

I've also heard people saying they've not got a jack/toolkit in newer VW's until kicking off at the dealer then it seems the dealer supplies it out of embarrassment rather than VW 🙈

·
Registered
52 Posts
How did you change it? and where did you get it? Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
The horn on my Gti only ever squeaked anyway and then stopped working altogether. Can somebody please tell me where on the car it is located? I'd rather just buy one than take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
249 Posts
There are two types of horn in general use. I am not talking about the UP GTI i am talking about all cars. It is hard to describe and i hope you do not think i am being silly but i call them either a beep or a barp. The barp usually has two horns that sound together and are louder. Hope you get what i mean.

When i had my Fiat i thought being Italian it would have a loud barp horn but it only had a beep horn the same as the UP GTI.

In the 70s i had musical air horns on my cars, or just twin air horns. I would fit twin air horns on my UP GTI but im not sure if there is room to fit them. There are other horns available not air horns called Fanfare horns but i do find i hardly ever have to use the horn these days anyway.

Update. I have just seen the latest posts, so i see its low tone or high tone beep or barp. I guess you could fit the extra horn then if the bracket is still there and the horn is available from VW parts dept.

[/QUOTE
Part number I used for the low horn 4L0951221A off e bay from a breaker.]
The horn on my Gti only ever squeaked anyway and then stopped working altogether. Can somebody please tell me where on the car it is located? I'd rather just buy one than take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think that got mangled. Are you saying "Part number I used for the low horn 4L0951221A off e bay from a breaker " ? ;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
How did you change it? and where did you get it? Thanks
Part no.4L0951221A off eBay from a breakers.Fits behind the front offside arch shield just behind the fog light then splice into existing cable.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts