Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a family we already have a 60ps Move Up and a 90ps High Up, but the kids use them all the time, while I just get more and more enthusiastic about the Up in general and keep daydreaming about what my own ultimate Up might be like.

Have spent a couple of weeks looking around at TSI's and GTI's. Not many really nice pristine TSIs around, and though there are lots of GTI's there don't seem to be any bargains. Was leaning towards ordering a new one, maybe black with just the cruise and park pack. Would be about £16k via Carwow/DTD.

Then hey presto, looking idly at Autotrader when I should be going to bed, a VW dealer in Leeds has put up a black GTI, cruise and park pack, with 5 miles on the clock, for £16k. So I bought it online without speaking to a single human being, about 30 minutes ago. It will be delivered to my home. If I don't like it, I just call them within 14 days and they just come and take it away again. It feels like I've ordered a pair of shoes, not a car !

Listing with terrible quality pictures: Used Volkswagen Up 1.0 115PS Up GTI 5dr Petrol Hatchback for Sale | Vertu Motors

·
Registered
66 Posts
We've all bought some strange stuff online, late on a Saturday night after a few drinks but a car? ha, nicely done!

You've just got to explain it to the missus now :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
As a family we already have a 60ps Move Up and a 90ps High Up, but the kids use them all the time, while I just get more and more enthusiastic about the Up in general and keep daydreaming about what my own ultimate Up might be like.

Have spent a couple of weeks looking around at TSI's and GTI's. Not many really nice pristine TSIs around, and though there are lots of GTI's there don't seem to be any bargains. Was leaning towards ordering a new one, maybe black with just the cruise and park pack. Would be about £16k via Carwow/DTD.

Then hey presto, looking idly at Autotrader when I should be going to bed, a VW dealer in Leeds has put up a black GTI, cruise and park pack, with 5 miles on the clock, for £16k. So I bought it online without speaking to a single human being, about 30 minutes ago. It will be delivered to my home. If I don't like it, I just call them within 14 days and they just come and take it away again. It feels like I've ordered a pair of shoes, not a car !

Listing with terrible quality pictures: Used Volkswagen Up 1.0 115PS Up GTI 5dr Petrol Hatchback for Sale | Vertu Motors
It is the modern way! Although I don’t know if I can quite bring myself to do it.

Congrats - looks a great purchase.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Probably bought most of our cars online for the past 10 years, actually buy almost everything online now. Much easier to haggle with car sales people when not face to face with them. The only thing I buy in person now is bread and milk, pretty sad really as it does not help shops without a 'brick and clicks' presence to stay afloat.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I was also provoked by having a bad experience the previous day when I went to our local VW dealer to see a very low mileage TSI. I told the sales guy I wanted to buy it there and then, didn't need finance, knew my Ups and didn't need any advice, buy about 2 nearly new cars a year, just looking for a bit of discount, and he attempted to drag me into some Kafka-esque nightmare of PCP quotes and add-on insurance products. Cash price was £10.6k, first time he comes back from the sales manager he's clutching a PCP quote based on overall purchase price of £12.5k !!!!!!!!!!

I gave the sales manager a piece of my mind and swore never to negotiate on the dealer's premises again. Email only, phone at a push. They can waste their own time, not mine. Grrrrrrrrrr.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think I was also provoked by having a bad experience the previous day when I went to our local VW dealer to see a very low mileage TSI. I told the sales guy I wanted to buy it there and then, didn't need finance, knew my Ups and didn't need any advice, buy about 2 nearly new cars a year, just looking for a bit of discount, and he attempted to drag me into some Kafka-esque nightmare of PCP quotes and add-on insurance products. Cash price was £10.6k, first time he comes back from the sales manager he's clutching a PCP quote based on overall purchase price of £12.5k !!!!!!!!!!

I gave the sales manager a piece of my mind and swore never to negotiate on the dealer's premises again. Email only, phone at a push. They can waste their own time, not mine. Grrrrrrrrrr.
Was it Peter Vardy? They are the scum of the earth. Hate that dealership with a passion, used to think Arnold Clark was at the bottom of the scum chain, but boy does Pater Vardy beat them hands down.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was it Peter Vardy? They are the scum of the earth. Hate that dealership with a passion, used to think Arnold Clark was at the bottom of the scum chain, but boy does Pater Vardy beat them hands down.
Worse than Arnold Clark ? That's harsh ! No, this was someone else, I won't name them though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Probably bought most of our cars online for the past 10 years, actually buy almost everything online now. Much easier to haggle with car sales people when not face to face with them. The only thing I buy in person now is bread and milk, pretty sad really as it does not help shops without a 'brick and clicks' presence to stay afloat.
Snap. Plus the garden centre. And the middle aisle at Lidl. That's the lot I think .

·
Registered
298 Posts
Best thing about buying cars online is that as per distance selling regulations you have 14 days to return the car if you don't like it or change your mind.

Can't wait for someone to try this with a Porsche 911 Turbo.

With regards pushing PCP, VW sales people are on bonuses to sell this. So if you want to buy a £12k car with cash. They will say pay £9K today and PCP the balance and we will give you a free service. You end up paying say £300 in interest but get a service in return. You don't really notice that you are paying a bit more but they get their bonus.

·
Registered
GJ68SRY bought as new condition 20 miles on the clock, finished in white.
17 Posts
We've all bought some strange stuff online, late on a Saturday night after a few drinks but a car? ha, nicely done!

You've just got to explain it to the missus now :D
That made me chuckle... I can imagine it now: Darling.... Yes dear. <reads his expression> Oh no, what have you done? ....../.... Oh dear God.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think she's quite looking forward to driving it to be fair.

The Oz Alleggeritas and coilovers might be a harder sell....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2 problems:

• car was advertised as having 5 miles on the clock, turns out it had 1300 at the point of leaving the dealership. Large chain with an online sales operation that doesn't appear to synch properly with its staff on the ground;
  • screen got hit by a stone on the way down the motorway to deliver to me. Just unlucky :(

Have agreed a price adjustment with the dealer re 1). Am waiting to hear what to do about 2) as I can't just use my insurance to replace it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On the positive side:
  • I love the looks. Had chosen black on the basis of a quick glance at one in a dealership, very happy with the choice. All the GTI touches look very subtle and grown up on a black car;
  • it drives beautifully. If we ignore the rather firm ride for now (even at 30/28 psi), the go-kart handling and light controls and slick gearbox make it a lot of fun nipping round town. It is so much nicer than our much abused 2016 Move Up 60ps !

Like many here, I've had some very expensive very fast cars. None have given as much fun per pound.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Thay should stand the cost of the windscreen replacement absolutely, as the car hadn't been delivered.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Indeed, but I will give them a couple of days to say how they want to deal with it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
You have 14 days to return the car if you are unable to resolve this to your satisfaction.

Personally, I would have refused delivery as a car with 5 miles on is a pre-reg and basically new, clearly not the used demonstrator you received.

Hate to play devils advocate but I doubt very much that a windscreen will get damaged in transport. To me this points to those first 1300 miles being driven in let's say a spirited manner.

Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for your concern but I do believe it happened during delivery to me, I am over 300 motorway miles from the supplying dealer and the car had been their demo car until I bought it. Also the delivery driver was visibly peed off about it happening and the rep at the dealership, who had previously had custody of it, seemed pretty annoyed.

I don't think a chip to the screen is evidence of the car being abused.

Aware of the cancellation rights. Have just retired from a long career as a solicitor ! The price adjustment reflected my strong views about the difference from a car with 5 miles on it. Dealer was actually keen to abandon the deal as they had had lots of other calls, but I explained to them that I would require them to provide another same spec car with delivery miles if we didn't agree the adjustment....

The dealer involved is a bit of a shambles at a corporate level, but aren't they all ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts