Up Owners Club banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Glad to hear you are all clued up about your legal rights etc. and not some still wet behind the ears 18 year old!

As long as you are happy with the car and how the dealer resolves the mileage/damage issues that is all the matters.

Just things to be aware of when buying online or unseen.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks for your concern but I do believe it happened during delivery to me, I am over 300 motorway miles from the supplying dealer and the car had been their demo car until I bought it. Also the delivery driver was visibly peed off about it happening and the rep at the dealership, who had previously had custody of it, seemed pretty annoyed.

I don't think a chip to the screen is evidence of the car being abused.

Aware of the cancellation rights. Have just retired from a long career as a solicitor ! The price adjustment reflected my strong views about the difference from a car with 5 miles on it. Dealer was actually keen to abandon the deal as they had had lots of other calls, but I explained to them that I would require them to provide another same spec car with delivery miles if we didn't agree the adjustment....

The dealer involved is a bit of a shambles at a corporate level, but aren't they all ?

I know this is after the event so to speak, but did you pay for the car online before you had seen the car in the flesh?

I purchased my UP GTI online from a dealer in Scotland. The deal was the car would be delivered on a Transporter to there branch in Manchester, so not driven. I would then inspect the car on arrival and take it for a test drive. If i was happy i would then and only then pay for the car. If i was not happy i could just walk away.

This worked perfectly and i was very happy with the car. I would certainly purchase this way again. I still got a massive discount and extras thrown in even doing the deal online and best of all not having to deal with sales staff face to face.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
No, bought blind, but it doesn't really matter when you have 14 day cancellation rights by virtue of NOT buying on their premises.

Have done similar to what you describe a few times though. A Galaxy and an S-Max from Evans Halshaw IIRC. Both cars looked quite tired in the flesh and I walked away from both.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts