Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Guardian....I stopped caring after reading the source !

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'd also like a first-generation Fiat Topolino or a Nueva 500, but it isn't going to happen. I've had a few Fiats over the years, but the dealers put me off now. I was fortunate to have a family run dealership when I was living in Shropshire (Waverley Garage, who were taken over by TJ Vickers), but now I've moved to the Cambridgeshire/Lincolnshire/Leicestershire/Rutland/Northamptonshire borders, the local suppliers are pretty poor - Stoneacre in Peterborough, another in Corby, and one up the A1 in Grantham. I prefer to deal with someone local, Cooks on my side of Stamford, after the experience of having to travel to Cambridge when I had my Moto Guzzi motorbike. It's not much fun riding up and down the A1/A14 in the winter!

Nick

·
Registered
44 Posts
"
Where it disappoints is in character. This is almost certainly a better car than a Fiat 500 ""“ more technically advanced, loads more roomy, it makes more sense ""“ and yet I'd rather have the Fiat, because it's more desirable. A little town car should be cute, cheeky, sexy, whichthe Fiat is and the up! isn't. It's actually rather dull in appearance, hasn't moved on massively in looks from the Lupo or the Fox, doesn't stand out from a Renault Twingo."

So the Up is better than a Fiat and has more space but this guyprefersthe Fiat because he thinks it should be "cute, cheeky, sexy"?

Crazy, crazy man.

·
294 Posts
50% of his review was about the name of the car. Says a lot about the quality of their car reviews I think!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
But can you spec an up with Jesus-sandle brown leather ? That is where VW went so horribly wrong

·
Registered
421 Posts
What a complete prat half the time whining about the colour then the other because of the name, personally I don't even think they drove it!Edited by: ZumbaQueen

·
Registered
421 Posts
Haha good old Ian Smith, love your comment and yes we are!!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
johnleigh said:
"
Where it disappoints is in character. This is almost certainly a better car than a Fiat 500 ""“ more technically advanced, loads more roomy, it makes more sense ""“ and yet I'd rather have the Fiat, because it's more desirable. A little town car should be cute, cheeky, sexy, whichthe Fiat is and the up! isn't. It's actually rather dull in appearance, hasn't moved on massively in looks from the Lupo or the Fox, doesn't stand out from a Renault Twingo."

So the Up is better than a Fiat and has more space but this guyprefersthe Fiat because he thinks it should be "cute, cheeky, sexy"?

Crazy, crazy man.
I can understand where he is coming from. The Fiat 500 is very cute, and
if you are using it as a shopping trolley, for city journeys, and you
have no friends, then it's great. If you want a more practical car, that
is quieter on motorways, has more space in the back, more boot space,
better mpg, and costs less, then the Up is the choice.

I think
the review is fair, because he actually says the Up is a much better
car, but he prefers the Fiat for its looks, and we know the bearded,
besandled, feminist women who read the Guardian are superficial and
judge by looks. (I actually think the Up is cute too, but less so than
the Fiat 500.)

The one point I think is unfair is the Green
Rating. How can it do better? 8 out of 10, what? I suppose it would have
to burn the driver's lentil induced farts to score more. Or maybe if it
was powered by hot air i.e. the sanctimonious preaching of Guardian
readers.

Of course I adopt a completely unbiased opinion. Fine paper the Guardian.

As
an aside, I think Jeremy Clarkson (a motoring journalist) basically
said the same thing when he described the Up as the best car you will
never buy.

·
Registered
727 Posts
WTF..?? they give the up! to a TV criticto be reviewed...?!?!

See his profile on the Guardian:http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/samwollaston

Now I understand why he was so critical about the up's radio, obviously it was incapable of receiving Coronation Street..!!

Thank God the Guardian didn't give the up! to the obituary writer..!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
To be honest I did the same comparison.
I found the 500 had a little more character and style but that when a sensible 'tick box' approach was taken it couldn't begin to compete with the up.
It was more expensive to buy, run and service, the only plus boxs apart from style it had were;
Apr on ppp much lower (2.9% quoted)
Slightly better trade in on my Audi (£500 more)
Had auto acc

Errr that's it!
The extras I'd have had to lump in to match the high up spec I wanted was an enormous list and made the car well over £1500 dearer.
Leather look seats/sat nav / parking sensors/ metallic paint/ wheels.
Of course it didn't have city assist, heated seats etc either.

I also think the brand of Vw has a more reliable reputation than fiat (and I was a fiat car club member aong time ago!)

Don't think the up was a compromise purchase though: it ticks every box for me and was bought with head AND heart.Edited by: timbo58

·
Registered
421 Posts
Fix It Again Tomorrow, and boy did we have to on my old Cinq and now I find my friend has the same issues with her Punto!!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I still can't see why the 500 is so expensive. They really are cashing in on people's perceptions of style. No space inside. They drink petrol like anything, too.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Our first and last Fiat was a Punto. Driving for any longer than two hours resulted in acute backache, the interior was fragile and the reliability dire.

·
Registered
727 Posts
ZumbaQueen said:
Fix It Again Tomorrow

In the States it was, FIAT: Fix It Again Tony (usually said with a distint Italian accent).

·
Registered
421 Posts
One particular thing I could remember when the exhaust went and was quoted a ridiculas price when queried I was told told it was made by Ferrari and so the price reflected that!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts