Up Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Im a bit of an interloper as our Up is actually my daughters car( her first) but being a car saddo I tend to join owners forums as you pick up all sorts ofusefulinfo given I'm chief mechanic and pit crew for her.

Having found "cheap" low insurance cars for thedaughterto be quite expensive second hand whilst shopping for her first car,

the finance package with 3 years warranty, group 1 insurance and 3 years servicing thrown in together with low running costs up to date safety and the with the peaceof mind she wont be stranded somewhere by the side of the road actually made the up look good value by comparison.

Local dealer had a black move up already available so we went for it, although weactuallyonly popped in to take one for a test drive after a lunch out ( most expensive lunch Ive ever had I think)

Ordering one would have take three months or so if I remember rightly so we bought from stock. Only pity is that we didnt get the nav/ blue tooth system(forget the name for it) which Id have ordered if I could, interested in the threads on retro fitting that.

So we've had it since the beginning ofJanuaryand are still running it in, shes been on L plates till yesterday when she passed her test so the mileshaven'texactly piled on and Ive had the chance todrive it a fair bit as well.

Insurance for daughter wasnt too outrageous (well not as outrageous as I thought it would be) although we had to have one of thosemonitoringboxes fitted to get asensiblequote, funnily enough it was cheaper to insure her on L plates than with a full licence.

Only filled it up twice so far 350miles on the first fillup and 370 miles on the second and its not run in yet, doesnt seem too bad, and given the cheaper price of petrol compared to the derv on my car its proving cheap as chips to run.

What a cracking little car!

I really enjoy driving it, even though I have a couple of high performance hobby cars and an Audi A3 as a daily driver I still look forward to my turn behind the wheel although I have to be good because the insurance boxdoesn'tdifferentiate between drivers.

Its got so much character the controls are well weighted. Ill often jump in it to nip to the shops as its so easy to park.

I have a mk1 golf gti as one of the hobby machines and the up shares a lot of that cars character, the dimensions are similar, and it weighs about the same. The UP GT appears to be a very similar weight and power to the original GTI, which in my opinion is one of the all time great drivers cars, so it should be quite a tool.

When I next change I could be very tempted to get an Up of my own, in the meantime Ill just have to regularly check that the daughter's is working ok

Cheers all

Lewis

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Lewis, I also went for a testdrive with my daughter and ended up ordering one on the spot. Funny thing was my wife told me not to buy anything or else! We had some major explaining to do when we got home......... But we both realise it was the right thing to do because she really needed something reliable and economical. I also love driving her up! and keep on her case about looking after it. She is averaging about 800km (500 miles) per week and I think the unlimited km warranty will be very handy. Casey is paying the car off over 7 years so weekly payments are very affordable and if she still has it at the end of the loan period it should have 350,000km by then

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Maps n More can be retrofitted, but not a simple job, relevant thread is here

The reason for"funnily enough it was cheaper to insure her on L plates than with a full licence" is quite simple. Whilst learning to drive she always had a competent driver at her side. Now she's on her own!

Enjoy the up! I agree, a great little car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Welcome to the forum Lewis
your post really did make me smile - the things we do for our children! loved your description of being chief mechanic and pit crew for her

Also, interesting observation you comparing your mk1 Golf GTI with the up!

Have had mine since Valentine's day and absolutely love it!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI all thanks for the warm welcome

yes the learner driver thing does make sense when you think about it

I assumed as a learner she couldnt have her own policy and thought id have to insure it in my own right, even without any ncd( already comitted on my own car)i was only quoted £280 which shows what a carce insurance is since the average 17 year old would have to add a 0 to that figure

age has to have some advantages I suppose

1 - 5 of 5 Posts