Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon,

Our Black went in for its first service this afternoon, which was all fine and dandy until they rang stating our handbrake sits a little too high and would need adjusting, fair enough, I had noticed it but its always been like that and makes little difference really. They wanted £75 for it adjusting which I politely declined.

Can anyone tell me if the adjustment is done at the hand brake or at the rear wheels themselves? VW stated they would need to remove both rear wheels so I am presuming its back there.

Cheers!

·
Registered
811 Posts
£75 seems a bit steep. Shouldn't it be a warranty job? Surely the handbrake won't have worn to a noticeable extent in a nearly new car due to normal wear and tear. I would kick up a fuss if it was me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those were exactly my words, car has done 9000 miles and is 11 months old, it should not have moved a significant amount, it was high from delivery. I think as we have a service plan for the next three years they were trying to extract something from the service. I nearly choked when they said £75.

Who falls for this?

·
Super Moderator
1,496 Posts
Adjusting the handbrake is only a matter of tightening the cable, usually through existing adjusters on the system. £75 is an utter pee-take, even with Main Dealer labour rates, it's still only a 10-15 minute job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I was just wondering if the adjustment was under the centre trim where it usually is or on the rear drum somewhere.

Going to pick the car up in an hour I may have to ask a few questions..

·
Registered
397 Posts
A few days after taking delivery of the car, my one and only query was the 'height' of the handbrake on park - it's almost level with the gear lever! Dealer's comment was "We've had several new owners comment on that ... Service say it can't really be adjusted, that's how they all come ... so see how you get on with it." I must say that I have not noticed it recently and forgotten about it, until I read this new topic today!

Edited by: PeterWestSussex

·
Registered
128 Posts
So what is done in a 10,000 mile service? Surely it is notJUST an oil changeand any Garage which values its custom should just have adjusted the handbrake in my opinion at no extra cost.
I used tobuy and have mycars serviced at Wolfe Garage in Westerham, Kent. It was like a family concern and on at least 2 occasions theMDgave keys to a Scirroco and a Golf GTI and said take it for a spin while your waiting. Alas they sold the business and the name to a large concern and probably retired. The premises are now known as Westerham Service Stationand has a Seat franchise.
How times change

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Think it was just an oil change and a health check. That is how they "noticed" the handbrake during the health check. They've half arsedly attempted to clean the car and honestly I wish they hadn't bothered. Wax everywhere, looks streaky as **** and quite possibly worse than it did.

Ugh.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry for bump starting an old topic.

I broke the plastic handbrake cover on my Up! Black after 6 months. During 1st service they said it needed replacement at a cost of £136 + VAT + Labour!!
I politely declined & lived with it.

During 2nd service they again said ot needed replacement & it was covered by warranty so no cost to me ˜Ž

Dropped it off this morning to be replaced & asked if they would adjust the handbrake for me while they were at it
Got quoted one hours labour to adjust a nut they were exposing anyway
Out of curiosity I asked how much an hours labour is

£102!!!!!!!

Im in the wrong bloody job ˜¡

Needless to say it still needs adjusting.

Not feeling the love for Volkswagen at the moment. Edited by: Tootall

·
Registered
82 Posts
My 2013 UP! Has just had its second service at 11200 miles and I thought the slack in the handbrake would be picked up on and adjusted out so never mentioned it beforehand. It still takes 7 clicks to fully apply the handbrake enough to hold the car on a not overly steep hill. My dealer said handbrake adjustment was not part of the service or covered under warranty and it'd cost me £80 to be done, rear wheels and drums need removing to carry out handbrake adjustment. Not so according to this forum or YouTube videos. Only the operation of the handbrake on the level workshop floor was checked on service. I asked my dealer if they sold wheel chocks or I could use the stick I use to knock the parcel shelf down when I've left it up.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Handbrake travel normally increases as the brake shoes wear which is why they want to remove the drums to have a look.
Adjusting cables should be done at factory or during pre delivery inspection and sometimes if the cables have stretched.
Why do we pay for a service plan if they are not going to service the cars.
Surely changing parts (and charging) due to wear is one thing but making adjustments is servicing.
Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
957 Posts
It would be interesting to have a list of things that are done and included in the price for each level of service !Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have to say had same problem with mine just needed a slight adjustment. Car went in for second service last month was done free as part of the service.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Bought our SEAT Mii aged 10 months and with 7750 miles on clock from a SEAT dealership. Noticed handbrake had a lot of travel but salesman said the classic 'they all do that'.
1 year later had it serviced by same SEAT company (but local dealership) and was told it would be £70. Told them I bought it from them so they said ok, they would do it.
Picked it up that night. Not been touched. Peeing down rain so emailed them next day and dropped it in a few days later and they did it in 15 minutes, foc. And they did not take the rear wheels off because the cable ties holding the wheel trims on were still in place. Not brilliant service, really.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Some dealers treat us as customers.
Some dealers treat us as cash cows.

Luckily my dealer seems to value my custom.Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
10 Posts
adjustment of hand brake is a simple job who nows how to do it - if it is to high the brakes will be heating and the three cil. engine will not go properly. on the othe hand 75 pounds - looks like a stupid joke: if you a ready to pay - thay will agree to take the money. try to bargin , if its possible, or look for another place for your car. when you will have real problem, knowing that you are large with money , thay will make you to robe the bank.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts