Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 66-plate High Up! (barely 10k miles) has developed a sticking handbrake problem when left overnight. Freeing it off can be difficult and makes a loud noise. The car also looks like it has a limp when it comes off the brake. Is this a common problem?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes it is. It can be a real pain. To release try reversing slightly and hitting the brake hard. If you can leave it in gear with the handbrake off. It tends to be a winter thing on our Mii presumably down to moisture. Lubricating the brake drum mechanism seems to help a little but changing the shoe type doesn't. With the warmer weather it should improve and I would suggest a good independent does a check and lube before next winter. If it's still under warranty get it booked in, see if they will clean things up for you.
Upt'North.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Upt'North. The car is still under warranty, so I'll get in booked in. In the meantime, I've done as you suggest and have left it in gear with the handbrake off. Fortunately my drive is not on a slope.

·
Registered
583 Posts
My 66-plate High Up! (barely 10k miles) has developed a sticking handbrake problem when left overnight. Freeing it off can be difficult and makes a loud noise. The car also looks like it has a limp when it comes off the brake. Is this a common problem?
Cause are crappy drum brake shoes/pads

I've swapped mine for Bosch shoes
Seems to help
After some bedding in, they're not as screamish as the OEMs were

·
Registered
124 Posts
yeah mine sticks on quite often, free's with a clunk, worse if I have washed the car. I've had the drums apart and they are clean inside, maybe different shoes will help, mines a long way off needing replaced though

·
Registered
296 Posts
Advice from AA mechanic - always reverse six inches after being parked - if brake has stuck it will free without the loud clunk. Always park in gear and never pull handbrake on very tight.
Garage also advises to pump the handbrake level several times every few days just to keep things from seizing up.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Advice from AA mechanic - always reverse six inches after being parked - if brake has stuck it will free without the loud clunk. Always park in gear and never pull handbrake on very tight.
Garage also advises to pump the handbrake level several times every few days just to keep things from seizing up.

I would advise never doing that.

VW have notorious failure for starter motor relays, if you don't use the handbrake and leave the car in the gear, the car will move under the starter motor and move into the path of traffic/other cars

I doubt your insurance/old bill would be happy if you were following "some advice on the internet" instead of the car owners manual.

·
Registered
102 Posts

I would advise never doing that.

VW have notorious failure for starter motor relays, if you don't use the handbrake and leave the car in the gear, the car will move under the starter motor and move into the path of traffic/other cars

I doubt your insurance/old bill would be happy if you were following "some advice on the internet" instead of the car owners manual.
I've read my owners manual, where does it say to pull handbrake on "tight".
What has the started motor got to do with it?
If the vehicle is parked on the road then the handbrake must be applied.
If parked on your own property my own opinion FWIW is that the UP! handbrake is a pain in the arris and it would be good practice to leave it not applied.
The AA advice is sound.
Upt'North.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Had the handbrake stick on our Up! but have also had it stick on a lot of other cars too; most noticeable after a few days without use. Wherever I park mine it is left in gear and with medium to light pressure applied on the handbrake.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Personally never had this happen to me but a colleague bought a Citigo last month and has the problem as his driveway is on a slope. He tells me that since he leaves it in gear and pulls the handbrake less tightly it has disappeared. When he first bought it I did witness the loud bang and dip in one side of the car as he pulled away from the works car park.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our 2013 Rock Up! had this issue for a while. I've just removed the hubs and stripped down the breaks. The problem was with the handbreak lever attached to the shoes, which had ceased solid on both sides. Replacing the shoes (which come with new levers attached) solved the problem. It's a relatively easy job for a keen amateur, but you do need to replace the hub centre nuts when removing the hub (torqued to 70Nm +30 degrees). Parts cost about £30 for Bosch shoes, and the centre nuts were about £25 a pair from VW. An independent garage would probably charge about £200 all in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Was wondering the same about removing the centre nuts. The drums can be removed by releasing the brake auto adjuster, then they just slide off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts