Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I had a very disappointing phone call with Natalie in VW Customer Services.

I explained how I was disappointed to pick up my High up and find that it only had 1 remote key, and 1 normal key despite the brochure I ordered from saying it came with 2 remote keys.

I stayed very calm and Natalie was also very calm.

She explained that it was a brochure error and that it wasnt actually possible to have 2 remote keys, no matter how much I paid for it. I asked her to explain what she meant and she said that it is a very secure new locking system and the keys you get are the only keys that match the system. I said, what happens if I loose a key and she explained that in that case I would need a complete new locking system and 2 more keys and that it would be very expensive.

Natalie did however ask, if I had been promised 2 keys, or discussed it with the dealer. I stated the truth, which was that it didnt get discussed as the brochure said I would get 2. She says if I feel strongly that VW have let me down, then I can reject the car, if my dealer allows it. I want to keep my car as it is everything I expected, but I wanted 2 remote keys as promised

This contradicts my salesman, who said that I could have a 2nd key but that it would cost £210 and the dealership would not be able to provide it free of charge.

So as per my topic title, has anyone physically got a 2nd remote key that works?

If so how did you get it?

Many thanks

Kevin

Edited by: kg149

·
Registered
677 Posts
what a load of guff!!!!

I phoned VW, had a massive moan! and Im GETTING a second key for free!! I just need to go in and get it synced with my car!

Phone VW again and ask for someone different! Dont stay calm, have a rant and DEMAND a second key for free otherwise you will take it further!

Hope you get it sorted

·
Registered
329 Posts
I also got a second key which I have in my possession but doesn't yet work with the car. The technicians couldn't code it in the 10 mins they had. Have to take the car and the key into the dealer on Monday and leave it with them. I have to say after reading this I am not convinced they.are going to be able to do it. We shall see...

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
you get one basic key and one remote key. its interesting, id like to hear whether any one sucessfully gets two remote keys working...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Can't say I'm all that fussed over the key issue. Every car I've had the second key has resided safely in my wife's jewellery box and has never been used at all!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can't say I'm too much fussed about this key issue. My wife is old school and can't be doing with this new fangled electronic thingy. She's been using a "steam" key all her life and ain't gonna change now. Who am I to argue ?.

·
Registered
123 Posts
you get 1 remote key for the central locking, and 1 standard key you have to turn in the lock as standard. I don't really care, as I'm luckily quite good at not losing my keys, and never used the spare key on my last car, so the spare is really just that, a short term spare if i did misplace the other. Will still work the car... so doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
interesting that although there are lots of promises of 2nd remote keys, no one seems to have one

My maps and more has arrived today, so I will go and pick that up. Another chance to talk to the salesman and see 1) if it is possible and 2)whether I can get one for free

·
Registered
39 Posts
I contacted VW customer service about the second remote key
issue and I received a call from my dealer a few days later saying that I'm
getting a second remote key free of charge. I will not know if the second
remote key will work until I receive the car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've been pressurising my dealer over this for a few weeks and I'v just been told that I will be provided with a second remote key as a gesture of goodwill.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
new price list states ONE remote key....guess they've wised up to it. shoddy imho!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I called VW UK and complained and I am getting a 2nd remote key supplied with my car when it arrives. They said they would instruct the dealer. There should not be a problem coding a 2nd key. I have lost keys in the past and had a new blank key coded to work with the car. I would be amazed if the remote locking system in the Up is anything other than the standard system from the VAG parts bin... in other words VW UK are just trying to fob people off! Complain more loudly I say.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I also complained to my dealer as I had the brochure stating 2 remote keys. After a bit of haggling he agreed to provide me with a second key free of charge. My car won't be ready for 3-4 weeks so it'll be interesting to see whether I actually DO get 2 remote keys.

Not overly bothered to be honest but this "VW reserve the right to change their spec at any time" bulls**t annoyed me. Their mistake, they should sort it in my opinion.

Edited by: clowesa

·
Registered
119 Posts
for those who say there not bothered about the second remote key just remember they cost about £180 if ordered soits like giving them £180 out of your pocket, as you have paid for it already in the price, but if you have money to burn I will have some thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
they mightreserve the right to change their spec at any but surely not after you havesignedorder form

·
Registered
553 Posts
Here is the reply I got after bringing up the issue with our sales chap!
"Hi Malc

Good news, your car is being built next
week!

It will however, only have one remote key,
as delivered to us from Volkswagen.

The Volkswagen UK cars that we supply are
delivered to us directly from the factory.

We as a retailer have no influence on the
specification supplied or listed in any literature, also supplied by Volkswagen
UK.

I understand your predicament however.

You may wish to contact the Volkswagen
sales office 0800 333 666 in the first instance, we as a Volkswagen retailer
will support you in any way we can.

Regards,

Peter"I rang the Customer Service Dept. last night and today got a call back confirming we WILL be getting 2 REMOTE folding keys as we ordered from a brochure indicating 2 keys!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was probably one of the first to highlight this 2nd remote key problem way back in previous posts, it was more a matter of principle to me, brochure states 2 remote keys with the comfort pack, so that is what i expect and made this clear, my dealer couldn't argue, they still had the brochure on show confirming 2 remote keys when i collected my High Up!.
There was also a problem codeing the 2nd remote key and i was originally advised they would have to try and find a solution at a later date, on top of this my Up! is still in the VW workshop having the leaky sunroof repaired and has been in there longer then i have had the car on my drive, but have been advised the 2nd remote key has now been programmed and will be ready to collect when the sunroof problem has been rectified.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts