Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am seriously considering having a pop up Tent Box fitted to my UP and was wondering if anyone had a Tent Box fitted to theirs?

It weighs 50kg, but wondered if it would affect driving capability? The idea is that it would stay on the roof so that I could go camping at any time, but my concern is it would really slow the car down for day-to-day driving. Any opinions on this? Many thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
The maximum roof weight for the Up! is 50kg so it's right on the limit. I wouldn't want that on the roof all of the time. It will affect performance, handling and mpg.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The maximum roof weight for the Up! is 50kg so it's right on the limit. I wouldn't want that on the roof all of the time. It will affect performance, handling and mpg.
Dr Google says the limit for an Up! is 60 kg, but I realise this is still quite close to the mark! And my main concern was whether it would affect performance and handling. Like you, I’m thinking it would, but was hoping someone had one and could persuade me that it doesn’t lol

·
Registered
2018 black 3 door up gti, 1971 Porsche 911E
14 Posts
Don’t forget the weight of the humans!
I would think it will be horrible if left on all the time, also a theft risk, these tents are 2K ish.

·
Registered
658 Posts
It will massively adversely affect handling and stability. The Up is a light, tall-ish car with a very short wheelbase and - in standard form - pretty soft suspension.

I'm not sure I get the attraction of these. Modern 2 man tents can also be put up in seconds, cost and weigh far less and will fit easily in the boot of an Up.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Although an interesting idea I’d avoid that kind of load on the roof bars of an Up! and to clarify the 50/60kg is fine but as said above the extra added weight of one or two humans would probably deform the roof at the four touchdown points of the bars.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Although an interesting idea I’d avoid that kind of load on the roof bars of an Up! and to clarify the 50/60kg is fine but as said above the extra added weight of one or two humans would probably deform the roof at the four touchdown points of the bars.
Especially if you and the Mrs are "well proportioned" then I would not be engaging in any horizontal jogging whilst in the roof tent!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm not sure I get the attraction of these.
Certainly here in Europe I see little advantage to them, elsewhere they offer high rise protection from snakes and spiders etc and unless you have a Defender or Merc G wagon or something similarly substantial to mount on to you are better off with a normal tent or a camper or an Airbnb or ultimately a Travelodge.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Saw loads in my traveling days - IMHO, a complete waste of time and money, in Europe.
Uncomfortable, usually cramped, can't usually store your stuff like in a tent bell-end, hard to get in and out of, no chance of getting out of the wind, much less water-proof that a proper tent, etc. OK if you camp somewhere liable to flooding though. TBH, I'd rather have a good bivvy bag if not a tent.... :)

Reactions: Lou Read

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Saw loads in my traveling days - IMHO, a complete waste of time and money, in Europe.
Uncomfortable, usually cramped, can't usually store your stuff like in a tent bell-end, hard to get in and out of, no chance of getting out of the wind, much less water-proof that a proper tent, etc. OK if you camp somewhere liable to flooding though. TBH, I'd rather have a good bivvy bag if not a tent.... :)
I’m trying to get away from having a tent because it’s just me camping on my own and I hate putting up tents the faff of it all especially if it rains and having to put them down wet et cetera. I can never fold them properly afterwards either. In an ideal world I would get myself a little campervan, alas funds won’t allow for that

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m trying to get away from having a tent because it’s just me camping on my own and I hate putting up tents the faff of it all especially if it rains and having to put them down wet et cetera. I can never fold them properly afterwards either. In an ideal world I would get myself a little campervan, alas funds won’t allow for that
I recommend a Quasar tent.
Why one of those especially? Out of interest

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I think roof tents are more of a faff.
You can buy tents that are almost instantly kind of "pop-up" if you look around, and would be fine for general camping in the UK etc.

If you are expecting to to go places where wind/rain etc might get bad - like Cape Wrath etc - a Quasar is probably the most favoured tent by walkers, climbers, off-the-beaten-track people etc., owing to being super-light, reliable and terrific in bad weather, but expensive - aircraft alloys etc, none of the fibre-glass poles... I've seen and tried all sorts over 50 years and I like them, but there are several similar one in terms of design and quality that are cheaper.

If you are a summer camper and doing a few nights wherever you can park a car, almost anything pop-up will do you. If you go to Scotland make sure any tent is midgie-proof - many tents have mesh that will only block mosquitos, believe it or not!

For a single person, and given an Up! is a small car, don't write off using a quality bivvy bag (one with a fine mesh for your face!). This will leave a lot more room in the car for the drinks stash!

·
Registered
616 Posts
The main thing I’d be worried about… waking up one morning, stepping out of the tent and falling 8 feet to the ground having forgotten I was sleeping in a roof tent.

Also, what happens if it’s windy, does the vehicle gently rock about? On a caravan you’d have corner jacks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think roof tents are more of a faff.
You can buy tents that are almost instantly kind of "pop-up" if you look around, and would be fine for general camping in the UK etc.

If you are expecting to to go places where wind/rain etc might get bad - like Cape Wrath etc - a Quasar is probably the most favoured tent by walkers, climbers, off-the-beaten-track people etc., owing to being super-light, reliable and terrific in bad weather, but expensive - aircraft alloys etc, none of the fibre-glass poles... I've seen and tried all sorts over 50 years and I like them, but there are several similar one in terms of design and quality that are cheaper.

If you are a summer camper and doing a few nights wherever you can park a car, almost anything pop-up will do you. If you go to Scotland make sure any tent is midgie-proof - many tents have mesh that will only block mosquitos, believe it or not!

For a single person, and given an Up! is a small car, don't write off using a quality bivvy bag (one with a fine mesh for your face!). This will leave a lot more room in the car for the drinks stash!
Thank you, your reply has been very informative! And some good points raised :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The main thing I’d be worried about… waking up one morning, stepping out of the tent and falling 8 feet to the ground having forgotten I was sleeping in a roof tent.

Also, what happens if it’s windy, does the vehicle gently rock about? On a caravan you’d have corner jacks.
Yes, also a good point, it’s a sort of thing I would do as well!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Rumour has it that The_Ash, after a heavy night, has fallen off his house roof, when seeking a glass of water....

Check here et al.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rumour has it that The_Ash, after a heavy night, has fallen off his house roof, when seeking a glass of water....

Check here et al.
Thank you 😊

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Check here et al.
Hahahaaa oh dear The_Ash 🤣😂

1 - 20 of 28 Posts