Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm thinking of getting my TSI Up tuned - and wondered if anyone else has any feedback on this ? - ie: who did it (tuned or chipped), is it any good, etc.

Many thanks for any feedback

Paul

·
Registered
623 Posts
I believe the Revo and Quantum remap take the TSI to around the same performance as the GTI.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ours is mapped to about 131bhp and 200Nm by Celtic Tuning.
Quite a giggle to drive now (not that it wasn't fun before) mid range was already good but now overtaking on B roads for example is effortless.
From my perspective no downsides. Some worry about the warranty but I'm not too concerned. Celtic claim to know the flags that VW use to detect a remap and will restore your original map free of charge (they'll come to you to do this).
Mpg not affected.
Anything more than 200Nm imho would stress the standard drive train and suspension.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is the ECU locked or can you just do the tuning all through the OBD port without removing the ECU?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Misha from Germany has his Up! TSI 125bhp if i recall cprrectly? i havnt watched the video in years so might be wrong but heres the video. ive watched a few of hit Up! videos and a few track videos too

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quite a giggle to drive now (not that it wasn't fun before) mid range was already good but now overtaking on B roads for example is effortless.
From my perspective no downsides. Some worry about the warranty but I'm not too concerned. Celtic claim to know the flags that VW use to detect a remap and will restore your original map free of charge (they'll come to you to do this).
Mpg not affected.
Anything more than 200Nm imho would stress the standard drive train and suspension.
This is one thing I hate is that remapping can be like fraud. If its remapped and thrashed to **** then unmapped and sold on to an unknowing buyer then its dishonest.
Remapped cars should have to be logged as such in the service history etc.
Imagine yourself being the buyer

·
Registered
VW Club Up!, VW Touareg R Line 262
16 Posts
Mpg not affected.
Celtic may be misleading you there. The TD1 flag is set when your car is remapped and cannot be reset by Celtic, nor can it be reset by a technician at a VW dealership.

When your car goes in for a warranty claim it will be connected to ODIS and scanned. By comparing the TD1 flag's state against the car's digital history they can determine if the ECU has been modified outwith the dealer network.

Restoring an original map does most definitely not reset this flag.

I'm certainly not saying that a remap will cause a warranty claim to be rejected but it may.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Yep, it's forensically "fingerprinted", which is why almost everyone on this forum suggests telling your insurer. Nothing bad happens if you do.

Anyone buying used might be advised to check for the "tamper flag", if possible. If buying from a dealer, I'd be probably ask them to check for the flag (it takes 2 minutes), or from a first-owner-from-new, something in writing saying they have or have not remapped.... This could be crucial evidence in the chance (albeit small) that your car is discovered to have been modded, and you are fingered for an undeclared mapping mod you knew nothing about.... Things are not what they used to be, and this whole area is getting tighter....

·
Registered
16 Posts
As far as I'm aware, ODIS is the only software that can access this flag.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Access but not reset?

I'm fairly sure an insurance company has access to technical resources to check the flag, if so minded (i.e. to reduce the payout). I bet the VAG kit at a dealer can see the flag.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Access but not reset?

I'm fairly sure an insurance company has access to technical resources to check the flag, if so minded (i.e. to reduce the payout). I bet the VAG kit at a dealer can see the flag.
Independent VAG dealers can get licensed access to ODIS, not sure about insurers but an insurer could get your car checked via the dealer network.

As I said earlier, I believe ODIS, which runs on VW servers, is the only software that can access this flag, vcds certainly can't.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Remapped cars are a complete minefield. In my opinion most turbocharged engines are improved by a decent stage 1 map. As long as the car is driven sensibly there should not be any adverse effects on longevity and fuel economy.

That said when it comes to buying and selling it's a different matter. If a seller discloses it's been mapped a lot of people will walk away thinking remapped = thrashed.

Therefore a lot of sellers either don't disclose the map or have it removed. It seems that people would prefer to remap there own car than buy a remapped one.

If buying a remapped used car then always do your due diligence and find who mapped it and what sort of map was used. Also check that the car has been properly looked after and maintained.

·
Registered
310 Posts
With 90% of new cars being bought on PCP and most of them returned, I guess more than few performance cars are being remapped by the "owners".

I wonder if dealerships and lease companies actually check to see if a car has been remapped when it is returned?

I imagine more than a few slip thru the net.

How would you feel if a engine warning light came on in that 2 year old Golf GTI you had just bought.

You take it the dealers expecting a warranty fix. They check it, find a TD1 flag and the warranty is invalidated. Good luck sorting that can of worms out!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
That's very true, but it's the perception that puts some people off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts