Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Delivered my Life Up! to the seller yesterday for rust protection and got the choice between a Golf or a 75hp Up! ASG

I chose the Up!, as I needed my navigation but does anyone know if we can buy the lines mounted on the hat shelf in Golfs and install them in our Up!`s?
As I opened the boot the shelf lifted up along with it and it closed bith the boot as well.

I often forget to put it down only to have to twist my back from the driver seat to put it down so that I can see out of the rear mirror.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Should not be a problem.
l have just ordered some bits and pieces off Ebay which will do the job.
You don't have to get VW parts, as l am getting the string clips suited to a Citroen, while the string is suited for a Kia.
It would not matter which parts you get as they are usually generally all the same.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
AndreasDK said:
Can you please post pictures afterwards and some links to the bits?

+1

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Moved to tech mods...carry on folks!Edited by: Privatedoc

·
Registered
109 Posts
Cheap n easy modification. Thanks !!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice modification but I didn't want to drill holes in the car. As the rubber stopper in the middle of the hatch has a hole already in it.

I found a small interior trim clip that pushed into it. Then with a hole drilled in the clip and 60cm of cord threaded through I was able to secure this to the parcel self with an old seat fabric clip to the parcel self. The clip can be pulled out of the rubber stopper if you want to remove the parcel shelf.

When the hatch is closed its all invisible.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Can I be a complete pain . it is vital that I only drill once on each side in the right place . Can you tell me the distance from the heated window cable inlet to the hole centre. I have ordered the bits from the web sites.
very many thanks. Mike.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey Mike,

Distance from heater cable grommet is 4cm.

Also, use a slightly smaller drill bit than the size of string clips.

Also, drill very slowly if possible, as metal is fairly thin, and if drill is too fast you could make bigger hole than needed.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did it like this. Automatic from the Golf 4 so the string is Always straight and not hanging or bungling

En vanaf de binnenkant zie je dit

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi. Your mod on the hat rack string and fittings is superb. got the knob and cord from the internet, the cord came all the way from Hong Kong free postage and in a couple of weeks. now its fitted, nobody would ever know it was,nt a factory fit. All done for a few pounds. very many thanks for all the info you put on the forum. Was in Aus for a holiday 2013 loved every minute of it. Mike.

·
Registered
397 Posts
downunderup said:
As promised, pics of Hat (Parcel) shelf "lifters".

Was very quick and easy to do, and didn't cost the earth either.
Thank you for all that info and the pics. It has inspired me to TAKE ACTION - after nearly 2 years of only partial success with a laminated "up! Down!" Notice displayed in the boot I decided to go for the featured 'strings' above.
Before sending off to Australia I thought I'd try the local VW Spares dept. Yes; he knew exactly what I was on about and had them in stock. £13.20 for two - exactly as in the picture above. These are from Golf 6 Part No. 1K6-863-447-A-9B9 ; 'automatic' ones from Golf 4 would have been £38.40 for two). Unfortunately, no 'pegs, so I will send off for the Citroen ones as per the link.

Edited by: PeterWestSussex

·
Registered
397 Posts
downunderup said:
Hey Mike, Distance from heater cable grommet is 4cm.
/QUOTE]
Job done this morning. In my case, using VW genuine parts for the 'strings'. I fitted these first to the shelf (6mm dia hole). Then with the with shelf raised I marked where the 'pegs' needed the hole drilled (also 6mm dia). I found the the distance in my case from the cable grommet was 60mm.
I didn't get the self'winding strings from VW (simply due to cost) but I am finding that as I lower the tailgate the weight of the string retaining 'ball' under the shelf simply pulls the string out of sight into the boot. Of course if the boot is full this feature may disappear until it gets emptied again. We shall see. Just wish I'd done this mod two years ago!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts