Up Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I sadly had to give my blue up away but I now have a Skoda citigo that’s almost exactly the same as my up only about a second faster to 60. However a major question I have is how much boost can the 1.0 mpi engine handle from forced induction? I’m looking at fitting a supercharger and sports cat exhaust with a more efficient fuel and intake system. I don’t want to go down the turbo route as I need better throttle response for my area and eventually taking on brands hatch. Another question I have is about the 5 speed gear box as I’m unsure how much it can handle, am I missing any other important things aside from tighter dampeners and stiffer anti roll bars? Please let me know!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Agree with the comments on the early series 1 gearbox. Either a 6 speed GTi, or 5 speed Tsi box from a post 17 plate TSi would be fine, it's a much beefier box taken from the Polo. The earlier box was built to a price, and only just capable of handling the 75bhp, so no good for any tuned motor.

·
Registered
68 Posts
No sure I understand why you want to go to all the hassle and cost of trying to fit a supercharger when the turbo can be mapped to give you whatever you want, within limits, the SC's will sap 30% of the engines power which is Ok on a big V8 but not a 1l - are you aiming for a street car or a track car?, what's your budget as you can easily spend big bucks on something that is still disappointing on the track

·
Super Moderator
1,599 Posts
The compression of the MPI engine is not conducive to responding to forced induction, so you'll need to do a load of other work as well as just slapping on a supercharger. N/A engines can't just have forced induction applied and expect gains in performance.

For the money you'll spend on upgrading the MPI, you could do a GTI swap with an engine that's already engineered to take the extra power.

·
Super Moderator
1,111 Posts
Or fit a 1.2 Polo TSI engine, the one with 105bhp out of the box

In real tuning terms, the non-turbo Up engines are very restricted in what you can do, it is after-all, designed as a city car, not a sports car. Getting the engine to breathe better will probably be your biggest hurdle as the exhaust manifold is part of the block, so can't be upgraded as such. Would be far easier to find a better engine to tune than waste money tuning the oe 3-pot in my opinion.

Polo G40 engine would be a lot of fun in an Up, if you can find one!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've supercharged my Seat Mii, running a Rotrex supercharger 165 hp on the UP gti 6 speed gearbox and one of Mickey's Diffs.
I decided to do it as no one had done it, it's a lot of work even as an engineer, fabricating Exhaust, intercooler and pipework all on the driveway. As well as all the work with a standalone ECU.
If you have the time and money go for it, if you don't some wise word's above :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Regarding the gearbox, 5 speed boxes on the naturally aspirated Ups/Citigos/MM are only rated for 120nm of torque. If you went down the supercharger route might be worth swapping it out for an MQ200 gearbox out of a TSI/GTI? They're rated for 200nm torque by VW, but you can go higher than that and be fine.

I'd also look at weight saving if you can't stretch to a supercharger kit/engine swap. Chuck the spare wheel out/anything else you can do with out, and slap some 15/16-inch lightweight alloys on... an uprated panel air filter might help too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just realised I haven't answered the main/1st question, who knows how much boost the engines can run? But I currently have 1.2 bar of boost from my Rotrex Supercharger and she loves it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've supercharged my Seat Mii, running a Rotrex supercharger 165 hp on the UP gti 6 speed gearbox and one of Mickey's Diffs.
I decided to do it as no one had done it, it's a lot of work even as an engineer, fabricating Exhaust, intercooler and pipework all on the driveway. As well as all the work with a standalone ECU.
If you have the time and money go for it, if you don't some wise word's above :)
And expertise ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts