Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've made the mistake of reading too much of this forum, and i am now wondering if I am doing the right thing in ordering an UP for my wife! It's supposed to be in transit at the mo, but car tracker seems to be broken, so not sure where it is!
At the moment she has a 2006 Polo GTI, done 85000 miles with no problems whatsoever except for routine servicing and tyres. It goes like a dream, no funny noises anywhere, everything works as it should and every time I drive it, it just brings a big smile to my face! Her complaint is that she is "always putting fuel in it" and that it is "far too fast"!
Of course I have had a test drive in the UP and to be honest it didn't really impress me that much. She on the other hand really liked it, calling it cute, easy to drive and whatever..!
At the end of the day she will be driving it, so my opinion of the car doesn't really matter. But what does concern me is all of the stories of mysterious noises from clutch, gearbox, engine, sloshing water in sills, radios that don't work so you cannot drown out all the other noises! After reading the forum I would never buy a secondhand one, as it is likely that it would be one of these lemons being sold after such a short time, and with the number of posts I read, there does seem to be a lot of these lemons about.
Anyone else with an UP on order having second thoughts?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have one on order and am not having second thoughts. I haven't researched the up! too thoroughly and by the sounds of things probably best I don't.

I did read and watch a few reviews but then again most of the reviewers don't have to live with the cars.

This will be our fifth brand new car and we have not had a single issue with any of them. Having said that this one will probably be a lemon now

Whatever you do I hope it works out.

·
Registered
176 Posts
red leader said:
I think I've made the mistake of reading too much of this forum, and i am now wondering if I am doing the right thing in ordering an UP for my wife! It's supposed to be in transit at the mo, but car tracker seems to be broken, so not sure where it is!
At the moment she has a 2006 Polo GTI, done 85000 miles with no problems whatsoever except for routine servicing and tyres. It goes like a dream, no funny noises anywhere, everything works as it should and every time I drive it, it just brings a big smile to my face! Her complaint is that she is "always putting fuel in it" and that it is "far too fast"!
Of course I have had a test drive in the UP and to be honest it didn't really impress me that much. She on the other hand really liked it, calling it cute, easy to drive and whatever..!
At the end of the day she will be driving it, so my opinion of the car doesn't really matter. But what does concern me is all of the stories of mysterious noises from clutch, gearbox, engine, sloshing water in sills, radios that don't work so you cannot drown out all the other noises! After reading the forum I would never buy a secondhand one, as it is likely that it would be one of these lemons being sold after such a short time, and with the number of posts I read, there does seem to be a lot of these lemons about.

The number of people reporting problems is small, and it is far more likely that someone will leave a message on the forum complaining than they will praising.

You have got to remember that you are buying a city car. It is built to a price and if you look at the posts overall, they are generally of people complaining that: -
a) the electric windows are not one touch
b) the electric window switch is not illuminated
c) driver cannot access passenger electric window unless leans over to other side of car
d) no boot light
e) parcel shelf not on a string
f) engine/gearbox noisy

All these are very minor in the greater scheme of things and I think it is completely misleading to think that there are a load of lemons out there. There are not.

Compared to other cars in this class, and I have owned & driven others, the up! is by far the best.

My advice is to ignore the complainers and remember that the vast majority are 100% satisfied with their purchase. It's a great car!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Don't be put off by a minority of owners with adverse comments. In most cases the complaints are due to driver error or failure to read the manual. I am absolutely delighted with my Up! For which I traded in a BMW 2.0 litre One Series with no regrets. As long as you take the trouble to research what you will be getting for your money you will be very pleased. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
18 Posts
All the cars can have problems, none are free of them.
If you read some other forums, like the Polo one, you will see that someone had problems or something similar.

And people are more active on a forum when the car have a problem. If I have a problem I open a thread and search for a solution. But if my car it's working and run so good, I have no reason for opening a new thread.

Anyway, I have a Seat Mii, that is like an UP and before driving it I was "Meah, I don't know if is good", but now I've done 500 km with it and I can say that I'm happy with it. It's really spacious, nice and simple to drive and you can do all you need, also go to motorway without problems. All without spending too much in fuel.

If you can live with some little limitations, like the single button for electric window, the lack of some little light, and two or three more similar little things, you will love and appreciate this car! ;)

So, I have had the opposite of your reaction :p first "Meah", then "Good!" :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
It's natural and very useful that the small number of owners who do have problems share them on here. The first thing I wanted to know when I had a prob was 'Has anyone else had this?' Believe me, it's a big help convincing the technician that you're not imagining it! But it's my impression that most of the few who have posted about genuine problems still love the car, as I do. It's much more fun to drive than the basic Polos, incredibly economical and looks great. And really, if there were any serious problems with the car you know the press would be all over it.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I agree with the above, it's a cracking car, I am so pleased with mine, it does absolutely everything I ask of it. The weekend I had a motorway journey of roughly 140miles in total, and returned over 66mpg, and it was comfortable all the way. If it needed to move, it would, drop a gear or two, even at motorway speeds and it's, surprisingly, got all the poke it needs. Waay more than you expect from a 3 pot, and that's the 60bhp version.
It makes me smile, every day. Every time I park it, I can't walk away from it without looking back over my shoulder. What more can you ask of a car? Oh, and it was less than £11k to boot.
You won't regret it, as long as, like some people, you don't expect a Golf for the money you'd pay for a Dacia Sandero!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have a Polo now but I am happy to change to an UP!
I also know (as others have said) most people post problems on every forum.
I driven 2 UP!s before ordering and they were fine

·
Registered
727 Posts
red leader said:
But what does concern me is all of the stories of mysterious noises from clutch, gearbox, engine, sloshing water in sills, radios that don't work so you cannot drown out all the other noises! After reading the forum I would never buy a secondhand one, as it is likely that it would be one of these lemons being sold after such a short time, and with the number of posts I read, there does seem to be a lot of these lemons about.

Google any make or model of vehicle on the market and you'll find someone complaining about their cars. There has never been nor never will be a car built that you would not find someone complaining about.

I never had a second thought about ordering an up! nor do I have any second thoughts about owning an up! even with my up!'s first birthday arriving on May 18th..!!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Absolutely no regrets. We bought one as a second car at the launch weekend, then when I changed jobs to one without a company car initially bought a second hand Ford Focus. I found myself ignoring that and driving the Up all the time, so the Focus got swapped for another Up.Edited by: Allybasher

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am worried, due to collect my Move Up on Friday. But this site has put massive doubts in my head about quality, problems etc. I am downsizing from a Ford Focus Titanium which is comfortable and reliable. Was so excited initially but now dreading something will go wrong. Any advice out there?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Yes read this thread again!!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think that after your Focus you'll be able to appreciate decent build quality. My Up! is in my top 2 for build quality and desirability! and that's out of 18 new cars I've had over the years. The other car was a £26,000+ high power diesel estate, with almost every mod con going! It gets better every day I drive it, and is a lot of fun. ALL manufacturers have issues with their cars, even Rolls + Bentley, it's just that the customer never normally finds about them. I know because I have worked at Toyota Manufacturing in Derby for over 15 years, and every model we have built, has had teething troubles. These are normally addressed as a yearly update, at the dealers during a service, at facelift, or new version. Please don't be put off by some of the issues flagged in this forum. You'll love it, honestly!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all your positive replies, it does help, truth! I suppose people do post more when things go wrong. I suppose it is a matter of wait and see, but as a lifelong VAG fan, with currently 2 mark 1 Golf GTI's, a Polo GTI (to be swapped for the UP), an Audi A4 Avant and a split screen camper van, I become dismayed when hearing so many negative problems.
Here hoping that both Mrsmouse and our Up's are good uns! I'm sure we'll let you know!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Forums tend to highlight complaints. I love mine, I've had it one year, and done almost 20,000 miles. It is so easy to park, I can do a U-turn on the high street, it is nice to drive, it feels roomy inside, and it looks cute. Oh, and it's cheap to run. I drove the old style Merc A class, and the recent Merc B class, and I prefer the Up, although the B class does have more room inside. I recently took an old fridge to the tip in the back, it's got more room than you think.

Allybasher said:
I found myself ignoring that and driving the Up all the time, so the Focus got swapped for another Up.
Why did you prefer the Up to the Focus?

·
Registered
811 Posts
The Focus was a bit boring to be honest. My last company car was a BMW and the Ford build quality and general lack of character meant it felt like a come down. Plus it was proving unreliable, it was an 09 plate and didn't feel like it would last very long.

The Up is as economical as a diesel Focus, much more fun to drive and better built. My 6' teenage son also has as much room in the back as in the Focus and if I need more bootspace I can fold a third of the seat down.

I actually enjoy driving it as much as the BMW to be honest, what it lacks in power it more than makes up for in grin factor.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Allybasher said:
The Focus was a bit boring to be honest. My last company car was a BMW and the Ford build quality and general lack of character meant it felt like a come down. Plus it was proving unreliable, it was an 09 plate and didn't feel like it would last very long.

The Up is as economical as a diesel Focus, much more fun to drive and better built. My 6' teenage son also has as much room in the back as in the Focus and if I need more bootspace I can fold a third of the seat down.

I actually enjoy driving it as much as the BMW to be honest, what it lacks in power it more than makes up for in grin factor.
I'm always surprised when people say they like driving it as much as a posh upmarket car. I've driven a base spec. Ford Fiesta, and it feels a bit cheap inside, and dull to drive. I'm surprised an 09 plate Focus was unreliable.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Allybasher. I totally concur with your point of view. My sister had a Focus and it was an absolute crap heap! It was plagued with problems, the build quality was terrible, and I didn't think it was very good to drive either! My sister couldn't wait to get rid!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts