Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest to banish all yellow light from my car, yesterday I swapped out the standard HB4 fogs for a pair of MTEC super white items. They look, IMHO, awesome! Really crisp white light, and as they're still incandescent, no CANBUS issues.
As a word of warning, not sure if anyone's changed fogs yet, they are a pain in the arse to get to!
The wheel arch liner has to come away to get to them, 2x torx screws and a spreader rivet under the front gives you just enough of a gap to play with. I would suggest reading the manual first to make sure you don't damage the liner as you remove it, I can see if you just pulled it, you could snap one if the clips off. My only other advice is this, in the manual it shows the wheels locked left to access the RHS bulb, and thus vice versa. If you lock the wheels the opposite way, right for the RHS bulb, you will have more room to at with.
I'll post some pics up shortly, enjoy :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Nice mate :)
I'm wanting to install the parameter nightbreaker plus HB4 in my up :)

do you have any pictures showing how you got access to the bulbs?
Edited by: Mulo

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't take any pictures of that no, as my battery died midway through.
It's pretty self explanatory tho.
The manual has some fairly helpful pictures in it for unfastening the corner if the liner, the with one hand you have to pull it away from the wheel arch and slide your hand in the gap. Take the bulb (still connected to the wiring) and twist is anti clockwise roughly one quarter turn. The bulb will then pull out and you can manoeuvre it out the arch so that you can see to disconnect the wiring, then attach the new bulb. Reverse these steps and you're done.
It recommends using the Torx driver that is supplied with the car (spare wheel kit) but I found it to be too long to use without removing the wheel, so it's helpful to have a shorted T25 Torx bit to hand.
I hope that all makes some sense!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Davec86 said:
In my quest to banish all yellow light from my car, yesterday I swapped out the standard HB4 fogs for a pair of MTEC super white items. They look, IMHO, awesome! Really crisp white light, and as they're still incandescent, no CANBUS issues.
As a word of warning, not sure if anyone's changed fogs yet, they are a pain in the arse to get to!
The wheel arch liner has to come away to get to them, 2x torx screws and a spreader rivet under the front gives you just enough of a gap to play with.

I agree, not easy but the results are well worth the effort.

http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic1434.html

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah yes. Good work. They are great bulbs actually too, they throw out a **** of a lot of light! And they're cheap! :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've already done the LED reverse bulbs yea. No canbus issues either.
They do throw out more light than the standard incandescent bulbs , and look better IMHO.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Davec86 said:
I've already done the LED reverse bulbs yea. No canbus issues either.
They do throw out more light than the standard incandescent bulbs , and look better IMHO.
I must agree it looks a lot better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts