Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have installed Osram LEDriving HL HB4 GEN2.
Brightness and color temperature is great, matching the LED DRL (hb4 used as drl and cornering lights).

Now after about 8 months one bulb has stopped working completely and the other blinks randomly.

I have thought about giving these cheaper ones a try:

Can anybody recommend other HB4 LED bulbs?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.
You are right, in normal situations I would contact the dealer.

However, I had to remove a bit of the heat sink to fit the bulb in the socket.
This was described by another forum member, so I knew what I went into :)

Excessive heat might explain the problem.
If so, the cheap ones probably wont last long as they seem be without any heat sink.

·
Registered
776 Posts
It is common for LED replacements to have shorter lifespans than the ads suggest, especially where they get fitted to a place with not enough cooling. Don't forget that the LEDs also get hot, not just the regulator chips, but the heatsinks are meant to serve both. While the halogen bulbs get much hotter, and are less efficient, they are kind of well-designed to cope, compared with LEDs, and the LED H4Bs are quite high-current devices. You should be OK with LEDs for reversing lights, interior lights, etc lasting a while, but the really bright stuff may not fare so well if retrofitted....

·
Registered
612 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input, I will take a look at those KITUR.
Unfortunately it has become a hassle buying stuff from the UK. Customs declaration, handling fee of about 20-30 Euro, and the long wait for the parcel to clear customs.
Amazon de/fr has something similar. They are not so expensive so I might give it a try.

A colleague said these were recommended on a danish fb site:

I will follow up when I have bought and installed new bulbs.
The weather is not really for working on the car outside on the street, so for the moment I have just disabled drl/cornering fog lights :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yep, same for us buying from abroad!
The British do however, love red tape, delays and higher prices - it's why we have always called it "Rip Off Britain" :) (or "Making Britain Great Again", to borrow a recent phrase !!)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ended up buying the Matronics.
Easy to install and color matches the drl. At least to the naked eye. In the pictures they do look a bit blueish.
How long they will last is the big question.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Looks great but as with all these super bright bulbs you’ll have a much shorter life span compared to the originals.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, it sure looks better when all bulbs have similar colour.

You are probably right that the bright fog lights wont last long. The Osram LEDriving didn't. If/when they stop working, I will disable fog lights as drl altogether.

The drl leds are the original ones.
And it's the same bulbs in the two pictures.

Besides looking much dimmer, when taking pictures outside, I noticed all the leds where blinking when looking at the screen and the pictures afterwards. Including the original drl.
Perhaps something that can be changed in camera settings (Pixel 4a). I'm not much of an photographer :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts