Up Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
VW UP '63 Plate
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a little advice. I would like to replace the head unit in my UP 63 plate due to it having terrible radio quality and no bluetooth. From what I know I would need a single din head unit and replace the facia and possibly wire something up to the ignition loom?

The head unit I was thinking of was this one:
Halfords: Pioneer SPH-10BT Smartphone Receiver

As for the facia I am unsure which one I would need, I have found these 2 on ebay, one with a wiring loom and one without:
Ebay Wired
Ebay Unwired

Any ideas which would be best ? I have never actually messed around with cars before. Another thought is how do you even get the facia off in the first place? Any help much appreciated. (y)

·
Registered
2014 High Up!, 75hp,Black
38 Posts
Looking for a little advice. I would like to replace the head unit in my UP 63 plate due to it having terrible radio quality and no bluetooth. From what I know I would need a single din head unit and replace the facia and possibly wire something up to the ignition loom?

The head unit I was thinking of was this one:
Halfords: Pioneer SPH-10BT Smartphone Receiver

As for the facia I am unsure which one I would need, I have found these 2 on ebay, one with a wiring loom and one without:
Ebay Wired
Ebay Unwired

Any ideas which would be best ? I have never actually messed around with cars before. Another thought is how do you even get the facia off in the first place? Any help much appreciated. (y)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Chris

I have the SPH-20DAB

You need the Wired facia

Very easy and you need a blade fuse wired takeoff
So that you can provide a switched live to the new stereo (red) wire

I use the face-lift phone mount (my preference) instead of the built in holder as it gets in the way of heater controls
But works great

Regards
Rick

Reactions: Chris3k1

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Chris

You need to check your aerial base before you buy anything as bad reception is usually water damage in base unit or rust on its fittings

Citigo parts best for a good second hand aerial base

Sorry about quote section

Rick

·
Registered
38 Posts
I cheated with phone holder baseplate by fitting on top of maps & more baseplate using longer m5 screws
That way easy to revert in future
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ha, exactly what was done on our 2014 High Up. I had a bare fascia when the radio was fitted. I supplied the fascia and the dealer fitted the radio as they sold it as DAB and the standard unit is FM. To be honest it was not that fussed but they insisted, costing them three or four hundred pounds. The aerial though was a pain in the neck as it is FM only. They fitted a new one and it always looked like a bit of broom handle painted black.
Our fascia had a silver trim line round the outside as it was the only one I could find that was gloss black rather than matt.

·
Registered
VW UP '63 Plate
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Chris

I have the SPH-20DAB

You need the Wired facia

Very easy and you need a blade fuse wired takeoff
So that you can provide a switched live to the new stereo (red) wire

I use the face-lift phone mount (my preference) instead of the built in holder as it gets in the way of heater controls
But works great

Regards
Rick
Thank you all for the replies.

What is a "blade fused wired takeoff"? Sorry, new to this. The cradle I was not sure about myself, was popping in Halfords later today to check it as I was thinking the same. I like the look of your mount, do you happen to have a link to that? Is it wired or whatnot?

By bad sound I mean tinny and no bass. (Not a boy racer here though) lol Bluetooth (via dongle) sound quality is good.

Thanks for the picture, head unit looks great. Not interested in DAB unit though, seen some horrid stick on screen upgrade aerials! :eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Chris

blade fuse take off so you can provide a switched live to pioneer
plugs into existing fuse which then moves to the lowest slot in pic
Electrical wiring Cable Wire Electrical supply Office supplies

stereo with my samsung working on factory up! facelift phone holder (Genuine part)
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
VW UP '63 Plate
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fantastic, thanks @Cobra88 I have seen them in a video, slot that in a fuse on the ignition circuit and then put that fuse in the take off slot..

Was it easy to run the cable behind the dash to the back of the head unit?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Very easy to run the wire as you can get your hand in the column hole if you put steering height all the way up

regards
rick

·
Registered
VW UP '63 Plate
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice, thanks for the tip @Cobra88 Did you need an extra length of wire to come off the "take off" lead to the back of the head unit, if so what type did you use or does that come with the facia?

·
Registered
38 Posts
my facia came with plenty of wire
facia was from Connects2.com

CT27AA15 Fakra-ISO Aerial Adapter
CT20VW01 Wiring Adapter
CT24VW15 Facia (Piano Black)

·
Registered
VW UP '63 Plate
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you @Cobra88 Sorry for the delay in replying, you have been of great help.

In the mean time I asked my wifey for the head unit for Xmas, which she duly has purchased. :love:

Last question, which head unit release keys do you need? Seen several on eBay, all different, does it matter or will any do?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts