Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just got back from my dealer, I ordered a spare set of bulbs for my next trip to Germany. No problem.

I then asked about Headlamp Converters/Beam Deflectors/Decals. I was pleasantly surprised to be told that the VW Up! does not need them on the continent of Europe as it seems the following applies....

"To avoid dazzling oncoming traffic with asymmetrical lights, both headlights should normally be converted relevant to the country (driving on the left or right) in which the vehicle is being driven.

The asymmetrical dipped beam of the headlights in the Up! remains below the legally prescribed dazzle values even if the headlight lens is not masked.

Converting the headlights for use incountries where vehicles drive on the other side of the road is therefore unnecessary".

So there is no need to add to Halfords profits. Save yourselves a few pennies by not buying headlamp converters. If anybody wants to query this please check with your local dealers or contact Mr Phil Traynor of Corkhills at Southport or Mr Ronald Tarpey (Capita t/a Ventura [210 CLUB24])Also it seems we do not have the problem of remembering to put them on and remove them when not needed any longer. Brilliant.

If you want to thank me for this information please put the few pennis saved in to your local cancer charity collectors box. Of course you may also click on the "thank you" icon above this post.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Thanks for that, its good to know :) I raise money for charities when I can anyway, but yes thanks for the info

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
willowaz. Thanks for that and also thanks to whoever clicked on the thank-you icon. That has shot my points up to nearly enough to become a"Groupie" Wow!

Just wait until my grand-children discover I am a groupie. They will be mortified. I mean they know I go line dancing to keep fit. But I know they will not think of me as a dancing, head-banging Dervish....

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My manual says that I need to fit them to my high up 8o(

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rednaxela. Maybe it does, but the dealers assured me that they can't get them (beam deflectors) because they are not necessary. No harm in asking your local dealer about this though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have always used insulation tape as deflectors - does the job and a darn site cheaper than Halfords!

Just suck it and see - if you get flashed a lot whilst driving at night, then you know you need deflectors. If not, don't bother!

·
Registered
553 Posts
We used to spend most of the year in Spain and I bought a pair of complete Headlamps for our old New Beetle from a bloke in France via E-bay!
Quite an easy swap! bit expensive for a 2 week holiday though!

·
Registered
27 Posts
did not find the beam adjustment for vw-up and was just about to succumb to another of these never ending tasks when i found your note. absolutely brilliant as i now can have a cup of tea and some chocolates. a pitty you cannot share them. but many thanks and the donation will be forthcoming.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bingalau said:
I've just got back from my dealer, I ordered a spare set of bulbs for my next trip to Germany. No problem.

The asymmetrical dipped beam of the headlights in the Up! remains below the legally prescribed dazzle values even if the headlight lens is not masked.

Converting the headlights for use incountries where vehicles drive on the other side of the road is therefore unnecessary".
Reading this, I somehow get the impression that the head light in UP is set/focused too low. That probably is the reason why most people were complaining of poor light in UP. Just my thoughts!

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
When I drove my up! in France and Germany at night, you could see that the passenger side 'flick up' of the headlamp beam was illuminating the central reservation, and any signage posted there, very well indeed, and I was continually getting flashed by oncoming trucks until I wound down the load adjuster on the dashboard, so I'm not entirely convinced of the above statement.

·
Registered
265 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
When I drove my up! in France and Germany at night, you could see that the passenger side 'flick up' of the headlamp beam was illuminating the central reservation, and any signage posted there, very well indeed, and I was continually getting flashed by oncoming trucks until I wound down the load adjuster on the dashboard, so I'm not entirely convinced of the above statement.

legally acceptable, and acceptable to other drivers are two verydifferent things.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Mulo said:
shakotanVIP said:

legally acceptable, and acceptable to other drivers are two verydifferent things.

This is true. I'd rather be the latter though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts