Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

When you look at the adjustment screws on the top of the headlamp units, which one does height and which one does horizontal adjustment? I need to tweak the near side beam up a little to match the off side beam.

Stu

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If you're not sure what you are doing isn't best to have your lights adjusted by a technician. There is nothing worse than being followed at night by someone who has incorrectly adjusted headlights. It's probably fine for them but not other road users.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments guys, unhelpful as they were.

Just took an allen key and spun the relevant socket round 180 degrees to raise the near side lamp beam alignment, both beams now at the same height.

Job done

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I think you will find that both beams should not be at the same height. The nearside beam is usually slightly higher to illuminate the kerb further.

·
Super Moderator
1,051 Posts
I would recommend going to an MOT test station to get the aim done properly, as others have said, theres not much more annoying than being dazzled by an oncoming driver.... Also, come MOT time, if they are incorrectly set, you can fail an MOT, though some test stations will adjust them to where they need to be, others won't.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Well done. Thanks for the info and confirmation of the nearside Kick up as I mentioned.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Beevee,

You earlier post to me stated the nearside lamp should be higher. You wrote it in black & white Clearly wrong information, regardless of what you thought. You did not mention at that point the 15 degree kick up. Get your facts straight before trying to preach - which I don't need.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi stupra,

Beevee might have been wrong - but this can always happen in a forum! Normally forum members correct each other simply by the number of active members - and their discussion ...

Most members are no professionals - and even professionaly can be wrong ...

There is no need for a post like your last post!
Beevee has helped me and other members many times! He is a well respected member of this forum and can benefit by his knowledge, driving a 2012 up! - and his 1000 posts during the last two years!!!

In a German forum I would answer: Beweis erstmal, was Du selbst drauf hast, bevor Du einen auf dicke Hose machst und anderen ans Bein pinkelst!

So: Cool down!

·
Registered
130 Posts
only just read your post Cadfael and have to say you got it 100% right, A forum is to help people NOT critise we all get things wrong on the odd occasion so lets just try & help one another with helpfull answers

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys, firstly I only asked simple question but never got a definitive answer, that's why I bit. I am competent at car maintenance and have been doing so for 35 years. The job did not warrant a trip to the garage as I did the job myself in 2 minutes.

Secondly, here is the answer to my original question for future reference for anyone else who needs this information;

On the Up! headlamp unit, there is a hexagonal Allen key socket situated on the top of it, they are situated towards centre of the car on each headlamp unit. A quick tweak of the Allen key (lamps on dipped beam with the car on a flat surface facing a wall, preferably brickwork so you can see the headlamp beam projected on it for horizontal reference) brought both dipped beams horizontal section of light level when facing the wall. The offside beam level was used as a reference and was not adjusted as it was fine. My nearside beam was originally set slightly lower than the offside from factory.

I always ensure both lamp beams on whatever car I have owned are set not to dazzle. If I had any doubts, the car would have been returned to the dealer to rectify and so should others if they are unsure what they are doing.

I hope I have explained myself in my original response to others and now the actual remedy to my original quick question so others can use this information on setting headlamp beam levels, if required.

Kind regards,

Stu

·
Registered
130 Posts
Was not picking on you or any one else but i am in the fortunate position that if i can not do the job myself then the other halfusuallydoes it or gets it done for me, but then some people are just try to find fault with any question that is asked when after all adjusting lights up or down is an easy job even i have done it,Switch on the lights to dip beam shine them onto the garage door then put a mark on the door (I use a piece of black tape) where the center of the light is, then it's just a matter of lifting them up or down remembering how many turns of the screw you turn anticlock or clockwise then you can always go back to orig. setting.Hope this method helps.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'll be adjusting both mine upwards shortly as at the moment they don't illuminate anything past 10to15 metres (like this from new but really noticing it as I'm using country roads after dark now).I'll be using my other car which is OK to mark a level on the garage door and then seeing if the ups are lower, then adjust as needed.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Surely you don't drive on country roads in the dark with dipped headlights? If on main beam you only have 15 metres illuminated in front of you something is very wrong and you should get your dealer to rectify it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Unfortunately busy country roads with people coming the other way.Main beam great when I can use it. Dealer not interested after two years. Only noticeable as it's dark nights now, much prefer the Up in summer.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
This topic is widely discussed on many car sites. Dipped beams are required not only to provide light but also to prevent dazzle to oncoming cars and cars in front. If you do feel it is necessary to increase the range of your dipped lights remember not to follow too closely the car in front. On occasions I have found cars behind me lighting the road further in front of me than my own lights and dazzling me at the same time.

·
Registered
189 Posts
At the moment, the lights barely touch the bumper of the car in front at a safe distance.l agree though, there's loads of cars around that blind you.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just as a footnote, tried my two cars parked 8m from garage door, Up! Lights are 4-5 inches lower than the ones on my fabia and they ( the fabia) don't dazzle.A trip to the garage is in order to have them checked and levelled properly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts