Up Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I've changed loads over the years, but I've had to admit defeat with these f***ers!
The connector will just not come off the bulbs! Access is pretty much ZERO, the stupid rubber boot gets in the way.. how has anyone actually managed to change these?
The standard bulbs are shite and needs more light so need changed!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
They may vary between models or years - mine are easy (twin H7s).

Sounds like the bulb or bulb holder has become corroded and is sticking, possibly as a result of not well-seated rubber covers or cheap bulbs that rust easily, prior to your time with the car...

I assume you can unclip the bulb from the lamp unit. You can then prise the holder off the bulb with a small screwdriver or knife blade. If you are not keeping the bulb, it won't matter if you destroy it!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Must be a different design to mine - I have loads of room and the rubber boots pop off easily using a single finger (all 4 are push fit) !

·
Registered
21MY Kings Red Up! GTI
32 Posts
Have you tried easing a thin flat blade screwdriver down between the bulb and connector, then rotating it a little to ease them apart? Works every time for me 👍

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yeah, the H4 version we have on the genuine Up (not those terrible Skoda knock-offs :p ) can be a pig. 2 other possibly useful tips:
  • persevere. At first it may feel like you're not getting anywhere, but if you keep going for a good minute or so, pulling on the connector and wiggling it at the same time, it may release;
  • (this info is fresh from changing the driver's side bulb on our 66 plate this morning, hopefully works both sides) it is possible, just, to remove the bulb still attached to the connector. If you peel back the rubber boot and undo the metal clip holding the bulb in place, you should just be able to manoeuvre the bulb out. The metal clip keeps catching on the rubber boot but if you're patient it will come away. Then you have more space to work, and you can get a firm grip on the metal body of the bulb while you pull at the connector.

HTH

·
Registered
394 Posts
Volkswizard the car dealer did a post on YT on how to change the headlights on an UP GTI.

I am not sure if it is still available on YT but if it is, its worth a look.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
My most hated bulb change was when my wife had a Smart - you can do it without headlamp removal, but you will lose skin and shout a bit, the first time you do it!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I did not know your wife had a Smart. Was it the 451 For Two like mine?

I loved that car and never needed to change the headlight bulbs or any other bulbs for that matter in the ten years i had the car. In fact everything on the car was original, exhaust, break pads etc. The only thing i replaced was the battery after five years.

In a way i wish i had kept the car as well as having my UP GTI but then there would have been two cars sat idle for most of the time. Then again i could say i wish i would have kept most of my cars especially the sports cars, even more so after seeing the same make of cars i owned at the Classic Car show recently.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally got them sorted, big screwdriver and managed to lever the bulbs off, very tight. New ones fitted, but the socket/spring clip arrangement is very poor and the bulbs don't feel all that secure.
Poor design.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If you levered the connectors off with a screwdriver, you may have inadvertently bent the securing clip the wrong way, and decreased the tension . Sounds like the clips need re-bending the other way to re-tension them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you levered the connectors off with a screwdriver, you may have inadvertently bent the securing clip the wrong way, and decreased the tension . Sounds like the clips need re-bending the other way to re-tension them.
I'd already taken the clips off before getting the screwdriver out :)
But yeah, they probably need adjusting...

·
Registered
642 Posts
Late in on this one, sorry. Yes, what a pig. Had to walk away and try another day. Boots weren't too bag but remember the bulbs being real buggers. Seem to remember pulling the connectors off with wide mouth pliers. Replaced with LED's, never going back, literally Night & Day difference. Keep at it, well worth the grief 😎
PS: Had them adjusted at local MOT station to avoid glare and to be (semi) legal!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts