Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
VW UP GTI
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So driving home tonight im thinking, but my lights are ok. No they are not the retina burning (aah my eyes) versions my mother in law has in her Merc. But they really are ok. Let me tell you my Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo had the most awful headlights. Im talking about bordering on dangerous but these are nothing like that. And im also a spectacle wearing gimpoid.

Perhaps VW improved them I dont know. Or maybe I am just deep in love and wont hear a word against the GTI 馃槂

I do like carrots though.

Registered
Tungsten Silver GTI, Black roof, Climate, Cruise and Park, 2020.
They're not great. Looking at installing Osram Nightbreakers soon. They're under 拢20 on Amazon I think.

Was curious about the fog lamps though. Will it all look a bit kak with LED daytime running, Osram headlights and yellow halogen fogs?

Registered
VW UP GTI
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're not great. Looking at installing Osram Nightbreakers soon. They're under 拢20 on Amazon I think.

Was curious about the fog lamps though. Will it all look a bit kak with LED daytime running, Osram headlights and yellow halogen fogs?
All the colours of the rainbow :)

Do what you want and if it looks crap just change it back.

Registered
Mine were yellow and far too low so I adjusted them and fitted Nightbreakers, much better, wife's "High" lights are fine

Registered
The Up! GTi headlights are at best 鈥榓dequate鈥 not fantastic and perhaps a bit last decade (or maybe the decade before that) but they are 鈥榓dequate鈥. Once you鈥檝e experienced a car with HiD鈥檚 or LEDs normal tungsten bulbs just don鈥檛 penetrate the dark in quite the same way.

Fit the improved Osram bulbs and see more but perhaps be prepared to replace the bulbs a little more often鈥 and make sure they aren鈥檛 set too low Volkswagen do set them conservatively low from the factory, I think it鈥檚 so with a standard full load in the car (4 people + luggage) they aren鈥檛 too high when the in car light level setting is at its highest. The Up! is quite softly sprung so any weight in the back pitches the lights upward but most Up!鈥檚 spend most of their time with one or two front passengers and nothing else. VW will set all new cars so that at no point with any loading can the lights be too high.

Prepare not to be blown away by the improvement but at least to have more acceptably 鈥榓dequate鈥 headlights.

Registered
Noticed this has slipped into the mot manual regarding LED headlamp bulbs, not wishing to open a previous can of worms but鈥

Please note that since January 2021, the MOT Inspection manual has been updated to include LED bulbs.
Section 4.1.4 now states the following:
鈥淓xisting halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.鈥
This is a brand new update that seems to only focus on headlights.
There are no mentions to fail other LED bulbs such as brake lights, tail lights or reversing lights.

Registered
The Up! GTi headlights are at best 鈥榓dequate鈥 not fantastic and perhaps a bit last decade (or maybe the decade before that) but they are 鈥榓dequate鈥. Once you鈥檝e experienced a car with HiD鈥檚 or LEDs normal tungsten bulbs just don鈥檛 penetrate the dark in quite the same way.

Fit the improved Osram bulbs and see more but perhaps be prepared to replace the bulbs a little more often鈥 and make sure they aren鈥檛 set too low Volkswagen do set them conservatively low from the factory, I think it鈥檚 so with a standard full load in the car (4 people + luggage) they aren鈥檛 too high when the in car light level setting is at its highest. The Up! is quite softly sprung so any weight in the back pitches the lights upward but most Up!鈥檚 spend most of their time with one or two front passengers and nothing else. VW will set all new cars so that at no point with any loading can the lights be too high.

Prepare not to be blown away by the improvement but at least to have more acceptably 鈥榓dequate鈥 headlights.
I had a brief fling with a 2018 GTD,........ which didn't end well....but the lights were unbelievable, so bright that reflective signs used to dazzle me, the GTi's are acceptable with nightbreakers but nothing to write home about, agree with the new MoT regs, too many people fit cheap LED bulbs which while the beam might look OK it isn't! - fitting LED's in a reflector designed for halogens is a bad idea, LED's work in a different way and doing this can throw blinding light into oncoming drivers eyes

Super Moderator
I had a brief fling with a 2018 GTD,........ which didn't end well....but the lights were unbelievable, so bright that reflective signs used to dazzle me, the GTi's are acceptable with nightbreakers but nothing to write home about, agree with the new MoT regs, too many people fit cheap LED bulbs which while the beam might look OK it isn't! - fitting LED's in a reflector designed for halogens is a bad idea, LED's work in a different way and doing this can throw blinding light into oncoming drivers eyes
Not necessarily, most good quality LEDs have the chips in the same location as the filaments in a halogen bulb, therefore the beam pattern is identical. Certainly the LEDs I have in my own car (and sell on my website) do not dazzle oncoming drivers or give an incorrect beam pattern.

Registered
There is no reason why a correctly designed LED shouldn't be a perfectly good, safe replacement for say, H4 or H7 and be allowed by law/MOT. The problem is that the wider market is clogged with rubbish, more concerned with dubious brightness specs and appealing prices rather than being properly made. Much harder to design a twin-'filment' H4 of course, than the single-fil H7's used in the twin-bulbs lamps in some models.

I suspect the the bigger, quality manufacturers will be pressing for certain design standards to be accepted by the various authorities in order to make the right kind LEDs 'legit' in a couple of years. There will a lot of pressure to phase out filament bulbs....

Registered
I think also there are many cars with many different headlamp designs out there, spread over a wide age range, some good and some not so good.

Combine a good LED (perhaps the best is the Phillips Ultinon there are many copies that come close for less 拢鈥檚) with a good lamp and you have a good seemingly legal combination, combine an ultra cheap LED with a not so good lamp and the light is not controlled as it should be and it鈥檚 thrown all over the place and not legal.

None of the LEDs are 鈥榚鈥 marked, I think as yet only South Korea has approved them as drop in replacements for Halogen bulbs.

The mot blanket fail directive is aimed at policing an area that is too hard to individually police car by car on a case by case basis.

Registered
Yep, getting e-marked is the thing....
Then all the MOT tester needs to do is check for the e-mark (and make sure the lamps are angled correctly as they do now anyway).

Registered
As said the lights direct too low so adjust them up and do yourself a favour and fit the quality Philips LED kit for about 拢100-拢120 off fleabay, like night and day and as the Up is so ancient you don't need the canbus kit as there will be no faults and though they are "illegal" the beam is the same as original bulb so wont dazzle oncoming traffic and mines passed first MOT even though it shouldn't, Just stay clear of anal MOT stations or spend 10 minutes replacing them for the test.

Registered
Philips will probably be first to get E marked - the LEDs are probably "E mark ready". They just need to bung cash to the right official for the paperwork!

But not ready in the way that some TVs say "Full-HD ready" which means "Not HD". Or "PU Leather" means "Not leather" :)

Super Moderator
Yep, getting e-marked is the thing....
Then all the MOT tester needs to do is check for the e-mark (and make sure the lamps are angled correctly as they do now anyway).
It isn't in an MOT tester's remit to check for e-markings.

They test for safety, not compliance with Type Approval, and the two are not synonymous.

Registered
I'll stick to my nightbreakers, interesting reading this, puts a bit more tech on what works and what doesn't and why LED's aren't the be all and end all... but I'm sure some have already convinced themselves that LED's are the way to go...... https://jalopnik.com/why-most-led-headlight-upgrades-dont-really-work-an-ex-1843070472
Having used Nightbreakers and now the Philips LED Bulbs in the Up, its not a case of convincing myself they are better, its a fact.

Back in the day with dodgy HIDs or cheap LEDs, then yeah you'd need to convince yourself but definitely not now with quality LEDs with a good beam pattern, especially in the Up. Not on par with my old Lupo GTI Xenons but then again, not a kick in the arse off.

Registered
2014 High Up!, 75hp,Black
Yep I have Philips Led in and better than nightbreakers for me too.

No glare or scatter at all.

Yes they are not type approved for the nay sayers.

Registered
No 'nay sayers' on here, bar being against cheap no-brand LEDs (and bulbs for that matter)! It's always important to know what's what though....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts